More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Zebra Zebra

So, who will be the person trying to achieve success in this world?

Pleasant hero...

Raul the pleasant hero... most of your life you were a simple Shepard.

You lived in the north of the Sacred Kingdom of Orlania, in a small village near the Greyhead Mountains.

This small village was located in the wooded foothills and was called Bear Ravine (according to the stories of old people, the village was founded about 100 years ago by a group of hunters who hunted a huge cave bear).

Your life was filled with the drudgery of labor that is typical of most human commoners.

And then came the harshest winter anyone could ever remember, suddenly wolves where everywhere. Slaughtering livestock and villagers alike, until you and your trusty bow ended the attacks.

Your father (due to his strict and unsociable character, in the village he was called Ivar the Grumpy) was a skilled hunter and he taught you to shoot accurately. He also taught you to be a secretive and skilled tracker in the forest, who is difficult to take by surprise. You remember how your entire childhood and youth were spent in hard work and training. But now you understand that your father's harshness was justified. Your skills have helped you kill many wolves.

Suddenly you were no longer Raul the Shepard boy... you were Raul the Wolf killer and everyone loved you.

Or, more accurately, you were loved by most of the locals whose livestock you saved from the wolves. The local peasants began to treat you much more respectfully after you helped them eliminate the threat from wolves. However, representatives of local authorities reacted to your exploits with mixed feelings. The local guards did not like the fact that you were too skillful with weapons and that you were able to act more effectively than the guards themselves.

The local landowner (baron Arthur Gwaine, vassal of the duke of Teinlund) gifted you his fathers sword and his grandfathers scale-mail coat.

It was a reward for eliminating the wolf threat.

However, your independence, initiative and determination inspired some fears in the baron. Who knows how you will decide to use your skills in the event of peasant unrest due to tax increases?

Therefore, the baron's representatives tactfully hinted to you that you should consider becoming a traveling mercenary and leaving the village in which you grew up.

You reacted to this proposal with understanding. You are tired of the hard work of a shepherd, the poverty and meagerness of peasant life. You were already about 25 years old. You would like to improve your life. And for this, decisive measures were needed.

So you said goodbye to your father (that stern old man said goodbye to you only in terse, grumpy phrases).

You began your travels as a mercenary who helps fix problems for a fee.

And just like that your new life had began, a neighboring village was soon calling for your help with a goblin infestation.

One of the village residents decided to explore an old abandoned mine. And the consequences of this were tragic. A tribe of goblins that lived deep in the caves connected to the mine found their way into this village and began regularly attacking to capture slaves and plunder.

This order was much more difficult for you than fighting wolves. You had to organize an armed group of the most strong guys who were residents of this village. With the help of these assistants and your stealth and tracking skills, you managed to organize a couple of ambushes on the goblin troops. You then organized an attack on a goblin settlement deep in the caves. You, with the help of the village militia, were able to kill most of the goblins in the settlement and cause the remaining goblins to flee deeper into the caves. The threat to the human village has been eliminated. It wasn't easy. You still remember the dangerous goblin traps in the narrow corridors of the caves. You still have the scars from the goblin daggers on your chest.

However, you were able to complete this order despite the risk.

And were rewarded with a powerful war bow and steel tipped arrows from that village. Soon you were receiving calls from all around, Raul the Wolf killer became the goblin destroyer then the troll slayer. As your renown as a heroic figure grew, you became more skilled and daring. A silver dagger his reward for killing the troll, it was rather useless as a tool or weapon yet you always wore it just as a trophy.

Troll... Vile, huge, bloodthirsty troll...

You remember how long you had to track this big monster and how carefully you had to prepare the ambush site. The troll fell into your trap, but despite this, he managed to kill two of your assistants. Images of the crushed skulls of these poor young men sometimes appear in your dreams at night. You burned that vile troll. His enhanced durability, strength, and regenerative abilities were no match for the flames, which were enhanced by flammable oil.

You wandered through cities and villages for several years. You completed orders and you received money.

And so it went for sometime, until one cold dark winters night you got a message from a small mountain village Olinsford.

This village was located in the north of the small human Kingdom of Morthem, in the region of Mountains of the Singing Winds.

You were near this area. That's why you accepted this order.

What was the essence of this order? What threatened the inhabitants of the mountain village?

They were being targeted by a cunning and dangerous Wolf, quickly you were on your way to help them. Travel in the snowing mountains was not easy this time of year, the road were almost unpassable however you are the hero Raul the Wolf killer.

You are not used to giving up in the face of difficulties without a fight.

You spend a couple of days traveling along snowy mountain trails.

As a result, you reach this small mountain village.

And so you make your way to the village of Olinsford, it seems dark and lifeless as you wander down the streets. Until at last you come to a well lit Inn, walking up you open the door staggering in to the taproom. Looking around you are shocked to see what must been every person in town huddled together, looking around at the plainly fearful towns folk you thrust out your chest.

"I am Raul the Wolf killer." You announce proudly, flashing the room a big white toothed smile. Surprised that your words aren't met with more excitement, but the people just sit starring at you like your mad. It is not the kind of thing you are use to, normally the towns folk are eager and happy to see you.

"What are you doing here stranger?" A plainly frightened woman asked you, even as the Innkeeper comes rushing out from behind the bar to greet you.

"I was summoned... asked to come here and kill your Wolf." You explain bravely, smiling at the old woman who was looking at you almost sadly. Making a gesture to ward off evil, she turns and spits on the floor muttering darkly.

"Yes... yes of course." The Inn keep called and he rushed up to you, gripping your arms as he pulls you away from the crowd. "I am Durlen Gruy... Innkeeper and mayor of Olinsford." He explained guiding you to a small table by the stairs, sitting a mug of mulled wine in front of you. "It was me that sent for you..." He explained with a smile, as he joined you at the table. Explaining that the superstitious villagers felt that this monster wasn't a Wolf at all... but a demon who took the form of a Wolf. They felt there was no killing it, as all the villages best hunters had tried only to be eaten by the Wolf. Soon they felt no one was safe, and spent the whole night clustered in the Inn. As you listen to the stories, you think about what you should do next.

You could go out hunting tonight... the sooner you killed the beast the better right.

Or after the long trip in the deep snow... you are tired a nights rest would be best, you can hunt the Wolf tomorrow.

You could buy drinks for the crowd, get them a little more happy to have you there...

What path shall you take...

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)