More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by LunaCee LunaCee

How does our survivor escape this predicament?

Narrowly

Seeing no other reasonable choice, she grasped the strongest part of the branch with a grip, slowly lowering herself over the side. As she dropped fully, the branch shook from the sudden shifting weight, causing another scare with the shifting wreckage. Holding her breath, she slowly edged towards the trunk of the tree, carefully choosing her handholds as she went. Finally, she reached the thick body of the tree. There, the branch was clearly breaking away, looking ready to snap off at any moment.

Another, unburdened branch was just within reach, and she had to herself to take it slowly, trading over from the one still holding on to the plane.

She screamed reflexively, the branch now behind her finally giving way, the wreckage she had been in only seconds before dropping the equivalent of a two story building before hitting the jungle floor, dragging multiple branches down with it. She struggled to catch her breath, deep intakes of oxygen filling and emptying from her lungs. She needed to keep focus. Pulling herself up onto the branch, she looked for another, seeking out a way down. At an agonizingly slow pace, she descended towards the ground.

She had never been so happy to feel dirt beneath her feet. Collapsing back against the trunk she had just climbed down from, she took a moment to catch her breath, glancing about at her surroundings. An odd trilling noise came from the direction of the plane, and she automatically turned to look.

Her stomach churned, her throat contracting nearly to the point of cutting off her breath. Those little... things... Those were compsognathus... the vicious little dinosaurs from the start of The Lost World: Jurassic Park... They were more accurate than the movie version, of course, having a layer of feathers covering their tiny bodies, but there was no denying it. There were real-life dinosaurs squeezing inside of the downed plane.

She had to fight off her gag reflex again, knowing just what the small carnivores would be up to in there. She had to take the opportunity, to sneak away while they were distracted. Automatically, she tried to stick to the bushes, hoping they would serve as sufficient cover. She had to scramble out of the way, unable to hold onto her gasp as a Tyrannosaurus Rex stomped past, clearly focused on the easy meal mere feet away, the same one as the compys. Heart pounding in her ears, she hurried off again, praying not to run into any more predators, at least for the time being.

A cry reminiscent of a bird of prey echoed out above her, and she looked up to see a Quetzalcoatlus circling beyond the canopy, the 36 foot (11 meter) wingspan casting heavy shadows. Not particularly interested in finding out why something which commonly fed on fish might be hovering over her like a vulture or what that long, tapered beak would feel like stabbing into her with its sharp point, she picked up pace again, desperately crashing through the unusual foliage around her.

Tears streamed down her cheeks as she went. If there were really dinosaurs on this island, then her missing fiancé was most likely being digested already. It was highly unlikely she would find him alive. Hell, it wasn't particularly likely that she would survive the night herself. Her clothes were constantly catching on the branches around her, her fleeing ripping up her light blue blouse and already short cargo shorts.

Does she find something in the jungle, or does something find her?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)