More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by CrawlingM CrawlingM

Who are we following?

Jason Willows, struggling middle class family member.

Jason Willows had just had his 21st birthday, and life was... stressful.

He lived out in a struggling middle class suburbia together with his mother Natalie Mason, his step-father Boris Marlow, his two years' younger sister Erica Mason and his one year older step-brother Peter. Their real father, David Willows, left while Jason and Erica were a few years old. He never looked back, and the last thing they knew about him was that he was somewhere on the other side of the nation. Jason's mother had gone through a few boyfriends during their formative years, but for the past five years she'd been together with Boris. They even married last year, making him official Jason and Erica's stepfather.

Unfortunately, money was tight. Health insurance, private education, maintenance and fuel for cars, and paying the mortgages for a house with four bedrooms, required them all to pitch in. At the cost of putting their dreams on hold.

Jason was studying part time at the local college, aiming to get some higher education, but they were all chipping money into keeping Erica a full time student. This was a bit of a sore point, but they conceded that the kid with the highest grades out of high school would be the one to get money for education first, and he and Peter had worse grades than Erica.

She had beaten Jason by one grade, which he was a bit bitter about - but at least he was given some money do some part time studies for the good work. Unfortunately, good grades doesn't mean you can afford everything in this world, so both Erica and Jason worked.

Peter had quit studying altogether and was working full time. He too would have loved getting a higher education, and was being pretty bitter about it as well, but Boris had made it clear if he wanted to live in their house, he'd have to make sacrifices.

Having to face these realities made the house a bit on edge.

Peter didn't like Jason or Erica much, probably thinking his father had been blinded by his new love and they were keeping him back.

Erica was trying to balance working hard with her studies, and keeping herself sane by socializing. Currently she had her friend Amber over, streaming some show on a laptop in her room.

Boris and Natalie both worked long shifts, leaving it up to the kids to make meals and fill the fridge when they were doing weekend shifts at their respective workplaces.

Jason was also fearful of certain signs (whispered conversations between her and Boris about work, money, time off, etc.) that hinted that Natalie actually might have gotten pregnant. She was in her early 40s, so she probably still could have a child, but it would definitely be a challenge for the household. Someone probably would have to move out to make room. That someone was most likely going to be Peter, Jason coming second, and Erica being safe while studying.

To sum things up, this was probably one example of a typical average middle class home with middle class problems. That was not meant to last, as someone in the household were about to be touched by forces beyond mankind's understanding.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)