More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by enthusiast enthusiast

What's next?

Debbi The College Mentor !

Authors note : Some of the following chapters will contain material familiar to long time readers but hopefully it will branch off to much that is new and unfamiliar. As ever, other contributions welcome.

Jeff had called Debbi into his office to discuss another of his schemes to raise the profile of the company and garner more positive PR. "There's so much talk from the government and media about how important it is to make sure the next generation has the skills necessary for an information based economy. What we need to do is get involved and be leaders in this field." Debbi nodded dutifully. "You're an outstanding example of someone from a modest background who is really making a mark in life" he flattered her. "So I'm delegating to you Deb !" Why am I not surprised ? Perish the thought you'd do any work yourself, she thought cynically. "I want you to organise a project with the local college, encourage the girls especially to go for a career in I.T. Maybe mentor a small group, act as a positive role model. You have all the attributes !"

It was an order not a suggestion and Debbi knew that she would have to run with it. It might only be a gap of eight years separating her 26 year old self from the 18 year old college students but she realised it could still seem a chasm. She would do some research however and felt that it was something she could handle. She'd do some delegating of her own and get Carol to set it up. The company would donate some laptops or something in exchange for the good publicity.

Debbi was not particularly pleased that Carol chose the college Debbi herself had attended eight years ago. She immediately felt herself regressing to her less confident younger self on entering the familiar surroundings but she told herself this was silly. There had been a turnover of staff and she did not recognise the science and technology teacher who greeted her after the initial introductions from the college principal. "It's great your company is taking an interest in these kids" the teacher enthused. She was a somewhat harassed looking individual, maybe ten years Debbi's senior. "Everyone's so quick to consign them to the scrapheap but honestly, there's so much potential."

Miss Johnson, the tutor, explained that a group of nine had signed up for Debbi's sessions, since the college had wanted attendance to be voluntary. "That's great, I was hoping to get to know and mentor a small group" said Debbi. "Some of the nine I expected to be interested, a couple were a surprise but I'm hoping this will be a turning point for them" continued the tutor. Debbi thought that this sounded a little less promising but let it pass !

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)