More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2

Who are you?

Avaline

You're the oldest sister, and you're anxious.

There's nothing particularly jarring about your father requesting to see you, but the situation doesn't bode well for you. Gossip of weddings and love has been spreading amongst the estate servants, and you have a sneaking suspicion that your father may have something to do with it.

"Good morning, father." You greet, grasping at the skirt of your gown for a gentle curtsy.

"Just a moment," he holds a hand up, signalling you to be silent. Whatever is preoccupying his attention, he doesn't bother to look up from it. His quill scrawls across the parchment as he works, and from the urgency of his writing, you assume it's something important.

You clasp your hands together and wait patiently for him to finish.

"Have the messengers take this to the far kingdom at once." He folds the parchment and seals the envelope with the wax insignia of your family before handing it off to the attendant. He runs his hand through his greying hair and sighs before noticing you standing before his desk. "What is it, Avaline? Do you need something?"

"Father, you requested my presence."

"I did?" His brows furrow in confusion for a moment before his eyes light up. "Ah, yes. I remember now! Avaline, my daughter, your twenty-third birthday is in a mere few months."

"Two months, to be exact." Please let this be about a present, you think to yourself.

"Yes, of course. Well..." He clears his throat and coughs into his sleeve. "Well, for young women such as yourself, it gets difficult to find a husband after reaching a certain age. As your father, it is my duty to make sure you are well taken care of in life, so I have made arrangements for you to be courted by a prominent lord from the neighboring country."

Your stomach lurched at his words and if you had eaten, you would have vomited on the spot. This cannot be happening. This cannot be fucking happening.

"F-father," you stammer out, trying to regain your composure. "Is this really necessary? I mean, Edward is older than me and he hasn't found a spouse yet either."

"Edward is a man about to come into power. He will have marriage proposals for the rest of his life. You are a different situation, my dear daughter. Men... well, they are naturally lustful creatures. No man who is sound of mind would marry a woman out of her prime."

"Father, please--"

"That is enough, Avaline." He says sternly, and you immediately shut your mouth. "Your suitor will be staying with us; when he arrives tomorrow, I want you to greet him and show him around the estate. Do I make myself clear?"

You hang your head down and nod dejectedly. "Yes, my lord." Tears are threatening to spill from your eyes, so when your father waves his hand to dismiss you, you waste no time in leaving the room. All you want is a little privacy.

Where do you run off to?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)