More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by sammycolt sammycolt

Where is Nancy?

At a bar, getting drinks

“Thanks!” Nancy McKenna shouted over the surrounding noise, smiling at the elderly barman as he slid the full pitcher of beer over the counter, along with two fresh glasses. In return, she handed him a folded twenty-dollar bill. “Keep the change!”

“Will do, sweetheart!” came the reply, followed what apparently was supposed to be a flirtatious grin, slightly undercut by the fact that the man’s best days were several decades behind him.

Deciding not to go any further in that particular direction, the LAPD Detective took her beer and turned away from the bar, feeling the man’s eyes immediately draw to her denim-clad booty. She rolled her eyes a little, but at the same time couldn’t help but smirk, her mood too good to be ruined by blunt advances like this. It had been too long since she had had a night like this.

Balancing her pitcher, she skillfully navigated the crowded, noisy bar, dodging waitresses and other patrons without spilling a sip as she made her way back to her table in one of the more secluded corners of the bar where her partner was hunched over her phone, typing away.

“Well, hey there, girlie!” McKenna addressed her in a mock southern drawl, getting Syd’s attention. The black woman lifted her eyes and quickly slipped the phone back into her pocket, greeting her with a smile. “Thought I’d buy a sweet bird like you a drink!”

Syd cocked an eyebrow, giving her an amused smirk in return. “That was horrifying!”

“Whatever!” Nancy shrugged and both women chuckled as she slid back into her seat, pouring each of them a beer and lifting her glass in a toast. “To dumb criminals and stupid defense attorneys!”

Glasses clinked and each of them took a healthy sip of their drink. It was Friday night, L.A. was in a party mood and the two of them had every reason to celebrate as a rookie error on the part of a highly paid attorney had opened a possibility to apprehend one of the city’s leading crime figures, Josh McMahon, with barely a day’s work. It wasn’t often that a win this big just fell into their lap, but neither was about to complain, so after McMahon sat in his cell and all the necessary paperwork was dealt with they had immediately made their way to a bar, aiming to get some much-needed stress relief.

“Fucking hell, it’s been too long!” Nancy grinned, savoring the beer while scouting the crowded bar. It wasn’t a high-class establishment by any means, but what it lacked in style it made up for in charisma with great music and a fun crowd.

“YEAH!” Sydney shouted, causing Nancy to jump and give her partner a surprised look.

“Nice to know you agree!”

“Oh sorry,” the gorgeous black woman chuckled before pointing up to one of the wall-mounted TVs, where the Lakers had just conceded a three-pointer, putting the Heat two points ahead.

“Fucking traitor…” Nancy grinned, more amused than anything. She didn’t get too involved with basketball, but knew Syd was a die-hard fan and was happy to entertain a bit of rivalry.

“What can I say? That kid is just amazing!” Syd shrugged, pointing up at the young player who had just scored. “Balls of steel and always ready to take charge!”

“Sounds hot!” Nancy quipped, taking another sip. There weren’t really any plans for the night and she was open to pretty much anything from drinking while watching a basketball game to going out and dancing: it was her first real night off in a while. If Syd wanted to watch, it was fine with her…

Just as she settled in, getting a good view of the screen, Syd’s phone rang.

“Fuck!” Nancy’s partner grumbled, eyes never leaving the screen as she fumbled her phone out of the pocket of her blazer and answered the call. “Yeah?!”

Nancy watched with a furrowed brow, taking another sip of beer, as Syd listened to what the person on the other end of the line had to say, wondering who it was that was interrupting their evening.

Who is calling Syd?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)