More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Gaezbo Gaezbo

What do you see looking back at you?

A black-furred foxkin (Gaezbo)

You see the triangular, black furred vulpine grin that has been your visage for the past few years.

That thought makes you pause.

Were you not always a five and a half feet tall bipedal fox with opposable thumbs?

Your memories tell you that you had been an outrider and a scout for the realm of the three-tailed queen, for your entire life... well, lives... and yet...

And yet, you have the faintest of faint memories of once being something else, some other mob, many, many, many deaths ago.

For some reason, you are fairly certain that back then Honeyama and Kemono-kai did not even exist.

...

Whatever.

None of that was important.

New patch, more often than not, just meant that you got screwed over in new and even more pointless ways.

With a weary sigh you opened up your status.

Level 5 Foxkin Scout (Shadowfur)

Monster, Beastfolk, Fox, Explicit

Experience to level up – 600

Attributes
| Strength 13 | Dexterity 40 | Endurance 15 |
| Charisma 27 | Manipulation 24 | Appearance 20 |
| Perception 28 | Intelligence 33 | Wits 40 |
Skills
Archery 15
Thrown 15
Awareness 25
Investigation 20
Dodge 15
Occult 10
Stealth 25
Survival 15
Crafts
Woodworking 10
Butchering 5
Trapmaking 5
Feats
Low light vision - Your eyes need much less light to give you clear sight. Dim light does not impose disadvantages to you.
Skulker - You are expert at slinking through shadows and stalking prey. When trying to hide when you are obscured from other creatures add (½ Survival, rounded up) to stealth. When you are hidden from a creature and miss it with a ranged weapon attack, making the attack doesn't reveal your position.
Ancestral form - You are of the Shadowfurs, and can still call upon your ancestry at will. Once every (600-Occult) minutes, when obscured from direct light, you can turn into a fox made of shadows for (¼ Wits, rounded up) seconds. While in shadowform you ignore physical obstacles at will, but treat light as if it was solid, with hardness and solidity dependant upon the brightness of the light’s source.
Monstrous Appearance – For some reason, some folks just have trouble appreciating the fur, yellow eyes and sharp teeth. Weird! When attempting to use Appearance in a positive way on creatures who do not share at least one of your sub-types, count it at 20 points lower until the target gets used to you.

Well, whaddaya know, they had actually buffed you up, for a change.

Well, except for your Shadowform, which got nerfed.

Again.

But what else was new.

You still remember fondly the days you could just become intangible for five seconds every five minutes for quadruple vulnerability to light, fire and lightning. Man, those were the days, ambushing and running away when things got hairy. You still died of course, but nowhere near as often.

But, enough of the morose nostalgia, on to the things that were new.

Your Dex and Per were both finally - FINALLY - raised. Sure, you lost three points each in Cha and Man for it, but you got three times that back. And in Attributes that were actually useful for you.

The blathering, incompetent idiot who had had the bright idea of giving you, a scout and an outrider specialised in ranged combat, a Per score of 20 deserved to be chained up and thrown to the most savage and sadistic of Dark elves to be their plaything for an eternity or two.

But, now, finally, that hell was over, and whoever fixed you was to be revered and respected for the rest of their days. If you ever found out their name, you are building them a shrine out of sheer relief and gratitude.

And, speaking of Building - What was up with the Crafts? That was new.

Before, you just, kinda, built things.

You cautiously hoped that fixing your wonky attribute scores indicated that the crafts would turn out to be a net positive.

Your painfully earned experience thought that there was bound to be a negative somewhere in there. There were no peaches without poison.

Well, you’ll have to experiment with that as you went along.

If this followed the pattern of previous major updates… Yep, your cave has reset, and with it all of your supplies and your comfy bed.

You wanted to rail at being denied even those small luxuries, yet again, but frankly, at this point you’d become so inured at the unfairness of it all, that you just shrugged and made plans to restock and rebuild.

At least the massive stone bench you used for a table was still there, so that was something.

Actually, now that you looked at it more carefully, your cave - well, you called it a cave; what it actually was was a mostly intact, three quarters-buried room within the overgrown ruins - looked subtly different and slightly more spacious than it had been before.

Experimentally, you approached one of the loose stone blocks and tapped it.

To your surprise it immediately dematerialized and you felt it appearing in your inventory.

Checking your inventory gave you

Stone block - uncommon (stone 2)

Well now, wasn’t that interesting?

Your curiosity now piqued, you left your equipment on the bench-table and proceeded along to try collecting the rest of loose masonry strewn across the floor, netting you eventually another 6 Stone blocks and 9

Rubble - common (stone)

There were a few more areas containing debris still on the floor, but unfortunately, that was the limit of the free space in your inventory. The most curious thing was that you could not visually distinguish between rubble and blocks. Some detritus gave you a block and 2 rubble, while what looked like a perfect brick turned out to be a piece of rubble.

With the inventory full, you tried tapping on one of the walls, just to see what might happen.

Ancient Watchtower basement 37/100
Repair? Need 20 stone.
YES/NO

Shrugging, you figured that since the stone was part of the building in the first case, you might as well accept and see what happens.

The moment you selected yes, however, you were greeted by the cacophonous DEE-OOO, of a failed action and a new window informing you

Error, action unavailable!
Territory not claimed. To claim land find a claimant crystal.

Claimant crystal? What's that?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)