More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by EnergonCube EnergonCube

What do you see looking back at you?

A Witch (Author: EnergonCube)

Ass length red hair atop alabaster flesh, a pointy hat resting upon your head and a black witch outfit that hugs your curves and leaves the top of your freckled bosom exposed like some sort of fetish costume. You're a witch, and always have been since the game was in beta. You sigh and splash the water with your hand as you think back to days of the early beta.

There had been four witches of Bruja Swamp back then, unique mobs known as the Aqua Witch, the Gaia Witch, the Gust Witch, and the Flame Witch. Each one basically shared the same appearance but had different colored hair. You were the flame witch, and had always lived at the end of the maze like swamp. While you hadn't been programmed as such, the four of you had always felt like sisters. That is, before they deleted the other three.

At some point, the other three witches were removed by the gods and replaced with mobs simply called Bruja that shared your likeness, only with their hair cropped back to shoulder length. In a later update, they stuck a big cave in your clearing, giving you an actual roof over your head. Not that it filled the emptiness in your heart. You'd trade your cave for your sisters any day of the week.

With the old beta quest to hunt the four witches gone, you stopped getting visited by players for awhile, so they stuck you with a Claimant Crystal as a drop. Wait? Claimant Crystal? Hadn't the update said that unique bosses no longer dropped them? You check your inventory, only to discover that you still have yours.

Taking it out, you roll the blood red crystal in your hand. This is what players had been after in your swamp since they stuck you with this. While you idly wonder what will drive players to your swamp now, it might be best to use this now before one of the gods realizes their oversight.

Claimant Crystal Used
Bruja_Swamp_Witch_Cave_Location_5
Claim land?

That popup appears at the front of your cave. Walking over to the front of your cave, you click to confirm.

Land Claimed By
Error: Unnamed_Creature
Process Paused

Okay, boomer. You scratch your head. You're a unique mob, but you've never really had a name. You were always just The Flame Witch.

Please Name Character

You cackle to yourself. Names have power. With a name you can become so much than you were. But you need a name fitting your title. It can't be something plain like Amy or Natalie. You need a name of power, one that is fitting for your mastery of fire.

"Flare!" You shout your name, your voice echoing through your cave. Suddenly the land shakes for a brief moment, and then a new popup appears.

Land Claimed by Flare
Claim type:
Monster Lair
Furniture detected:
Straw Bed
Witch's Cauldron
Natural Features Detected:
Water Spring

You smirk to yourself. You've lived in this swamp for so long, finally you have proper claim to it. If only your sisters were here to see you now. They'd be so proud of their big sis. Speaking of, you check out your stat sheet now that you have laid claim over your territory.

Flare, The Flame Witch Level 25
Monster, Midboss, Bruja, Explicit
Experience to level up – 0/2500
Attributes
Strength 20 Dexterity 20 Endurance 20
Charisma 40 Manipulation 40 Appearance 75
Perception 40 Intelligence 40 Wits 40
Skills
Lore 30
Occult 30
Stealth 20
Dodge 20
Crafting (Potions) 30
Feats
Emergency Teleport - When your health is under half its maximum, you can cast to teleport to your respawn point.
Fireball - Cast to throw a mid range fireball that explodes on impact, dealing fire damage to the target and all units adjacent to the target. Causes knockback.
Fireproof - Immune to all fire damage.
Invite –You can invite other creatures to take up residence in your lair as mooks. Doing so successfully grants you experience, and you will gain a small amount of all the experience your mooks gain. Having sleeping quarters, food and water already available will increase your chances of a successful invite.
Lavawalking - Walk on lava like it's ground. Can walk vertically up lavafalls.
Mid-Boss –When you are defeated in battle, lose accumulated progress to your next level rather than all gained experience. Spend Fame on unique bonuses to your lair, your mooks and yourself.
Pentafire - Cast to create five flaming orbs that circle the target. Every 5 seconds one of the orbs is thrown at the target, dealing fire damage.

You glare at the lavawalking ability. Of all your sisters, you always had the most useless of the 'walking' abilities as there was never any lava around here. Gaia Witch had earthwalking, which let her walk up walls and on ceilings, an incredibly useful ability. Even though there were none of those when she used to inhabit the swamp, she could create stalagmite barriers she could walk up and pelt foes with spells from above.

Waterwalking became useful once the gods removed the invisible barriers around the paths and let characters try to wade through the swamp water at a quarter movement speed. Windwalking was equally useful as Gust Witch could just walk in the air above the swamp water. Aqua Witch and Gust Witch used to love sniping players with spells as they tried to navigate the paths, which eventually led to the gods dotting the swamp water with tall foliage to act as a barrier. Of course, they'd just camp the edges and made if difficult for melee players to reach them.

That irritating strategy by them is probably what led to them being removed from the game. Despite being the strongest in terms of raw damage, you were always deemed the most fair of the witches. Well, you could use your spells to knock players into the drink and then wail on them while they tried to slog back onto land, but players could just equip knockback protection to mitigate that. Now that the swamp is infested with Bruja based on you, no player dares enter the swamp without some form of knockback protection.

Getting back to your stat sheet, you notice a new dropdown option, fame. Clicking it reveals a new menu.

Fame: 0
Increase your fame to unlock new options and become more powerful.

Beneath that are more options, most of them greyed out with question marks displayed, but you do notice two at the top that are not greyed out.

Promotion: 1000 Fame, must be level 30 at least
Witches Coven 1/10 (Unique ability): 10000 Fame

Huh? Well, you can guess what promotion is. Better stats. Increased abilities. However, that Witches Coven option causes your heart to beat a little faster. You lick your lips, realizing that there is another menu with more options behind it. Selecting it, you gaze at the newly revealed menu.

Witches Coven 1/10 (Unique Ability): 10000 Fame
Long ago, Bruja Swamp was ruled over by a coven of witches. After a tense argument, the coven dissolved and the witches scattered to the four corners of the earth. With enough fame, you can rebuild this coven, stronger than before.
Aqua Witch
Bloom Witch
Bright Witch
Gaia Witch
Glacier Witch
Gust Witch
Flame Witch (Unlocked)
Shadow Witch
Thunder Witch
Toxic Witch

Tears start flowing down your cheeks. Your sisters could be reintroduced into the game? You clutch your chest. How long had it been since your sisters had been deleted? You had cursed the gods for so long for taking your sisters from you. You used to place stones around your clearing to form words cursing the gods until they turned your clearing into a cave. Now they have given you the tools to bring your sisters back, but locked them behind a ridiculously high fame score.

Well, there is only one thing that can be done about it, you'll have to raise your fame high enough to bring your sisters back. The question is, how are you going to go about doing it?

How will you build up your fame?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)