More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Yabusa Yabusa

Who touches the device, and at what strength?

Your girlfriend, at mid-range power

After a little bit of discussion, your girlfriend seems adamant that she's going to do this. She was too excited, and despite your concerns, she seemed fearless in the face of entering basically another plane of existence. Jane walks up to the machine, turning back to Emilia.

"I know you recommended the lowest settings, but I don't want to just observe and make the lights flash. I want to be able to do something physical and talk like you said I could. Can you give me something middle of the road?"

Emilia nodded without hesitation, even though you weren't fond of any of this idea. She adjusted one lever up, and pulled another down to lock it into place. There was a low hum and a faint smell of something burning, but nothing else seemed out of the ordinary. "The machine is charged. Everyone, please stand back. Jane, approach when you're ready."

For a moment, Jane did seem a bit nervous, now that she had reached the point of no return. She'd agreed, the machine was powered up, money was inbound... she just had to do one last thing. And all you could do was wait and watch.

Jane reached up, and placed her palm on the shining metal dome. "...Ooh, that's weird."

Famous last words. Jane disappeared in what looked like a burst of lightning, when it wrapped around her like a cage! She was gone, but her clothes remained... crumpling to the floor.

Seeing that filled you with a bit of dread. "Jane? Jane! Emilia, what happened, why did she vanish out of her clothes!"

"Well, I guess clothes can't astral project," Emilia suggests.

"Oh, calm down, John!" you hear a voice say. It's... faint, a little distant. There's a distinct echo to the words.

"Wait, Jane? I can hear you, but I can't see you." You breathed a deep sigh of relief at hearing her.

"Oh, yeah, I get it. I see myself fine on this side, but I guess you can't see me at all? I'm not exactly much to look at anyway, I can kinda reshape myself.... like this, and this! Or this!" Jane demonstrates the many shapes she could become, all of which were invisible to you and thus meant nothing to you. "Oh, I have an idea... I think I can do this, I feel like I can. Hold on..."

You looked at the clothes on the ground as they started to rustle, twist, and swirl. Her white blouse, and then her jeans, rose from the ground, ballooning out until your invisible-but-clothed wife stood next to you. You stared in absolute amazement. "You can wear clothes as a ghost? That's amazing!"

"Not wearing, John, not really at least. It's... hard to explain. But it's more like I am them, I possessed them! I can move them around, a lot like if I was wearing them. It looks pretty authentic, right?"

The clothes your wife wore didn't really have to walk to you, from the sound of it she could've easily just floated over to you, but she tested moving the fabric as if she was still just an invisible person, 'walking' right to you. Her legs stepped in time, hips swaying, and even the generous chest was bouncing like breasts were encased in the fabric.

"That's real weird to see, Jane," You said, eyes wide as you reached out to touch at the floating sleeve. It felt like there was a real arm in there... you even got so bold to reach inside the collar of the shirt, where the head once existed, finding nothing at all! Your hands wriggled in nothingness, but Jane's form remained right there. You pushed at the back of her shirt from inside, and it made her stumble back a little, the fabric stretching lightly. "Real, real weird."

"Hey, careful, I like this shirt!" she said, taking a little step back. She took a step forward again with your hand inside her shirt still, and this time your hand was pressed back--where moments ago you were able to so effortlessly move her shirt back, now it felt like she was solidly pushing against your hand, almost overwhelmingly strong. "...oh, that's interesting. Again, hard to explain, this is a real complex setup for me on this side to make the clothes look so realistic in this shape. But apparently if I'm 'relaxed', you can move me around like I'm nothing, but if I 'tense up' then I can move pretty forcefully through the fabric."

You paused, thinking about the possibilities there. Floating clothes that could be easy to manipulate, but could feel like a real body was in there, depending on her mood? This could result in a lot of mischief on Jane's part.

Emilia stepped over slowly as well, examining the floating clothes with significant interest. "You seem to be able to easily manipulate these clothes. I would like to know two things: do you have to maintain this particular shape, and do you think you are powerful enough to perhaps possess living forms?"

"Oh, I'm pretty sure I don't need to stay this shape. Look!" The clothes next to you split apart, top and bottom splitting apart like the body inside was sawed in half. And then in a surprising display, the clothes fell to the ground again, but this time were folded perfectly. "Pick me up please, John. And for the other thing... maybe? I'll need to try. Maybe we can find a friend of mine to help, or maybe I'll get John to help me directly..."

You picked up the clothes, unsure what Jane might mean with that. But, you knew one thing: things were going to be interesting for the next month or so...

Emilia writes down a few things in her notebook, and then smiles. "If you don't mind, I'd like weekly updates. Other than that, you two can go whenever you'd like, or you're free to stay and one of my assistants can give you a tour of the mansion. But, I imagine you two will want to get home and gain a better understanding of this, hmm?"

Stick around? Head home? Go elsewhere?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)