More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by HistoricoPublius HistoricoPublius

Does she agree to call on Mr. Twilwell?

Yes; after all, it's only neighborly.

"Of course I can call on him," Anne says smoothly. "I'm sure I'd be happy to welcome him to our neighborhood."

George grunts. "Good, good...capital. Perhaps Deborah can help you fix up a gift to take to him, eh? I would accompany you, but I'm afraid I have rather a lot to get done today..."

Anne and Rebecca share another glance. As a landowner, their father rarely has that much to get done. He does, however, hate social calls with a passion.

"Well, I'll get fully ready and then be on my way," Anne says smoothly. As she puts down her knife and fork and heads out to the hall, Rebecca excuses herself and does the same.

"Anne!" Rebecca hisses as the dining room door closes behind them, "Wait a minute."

Anne pauses on the stairs, perplexed. "What is it, Becca?"

"Do you know that this man is the first real prospect any of us - including you - have had in years? You've got to make sure to make a good impression on him. Remember, we're all sisters: our reputation impinges on each other's. What people think of one of us, they'll associate with the others, too."

"Oh, Becca, I know that," Anne sighs wearily. In truth, she knows it all too well - she feels the weight of her responsibility to her younger sisters keenly.

"Well, just present yourself well, that's all I'm saying," Rebecca says. She casts a critical eye over Anne's appearance. "Your hair looks well, this morning, which is to the good. Put on a bit of rouge before you go. Turn?" Anne sighs in exasperation and does so. Rebecca snorts. "Here, let me." Before Anne can stop her, her sister steps forward and lays her hands on her chest, tugging the neckline of her dress down slightly and giving her breasts a pat.

"Rebecca!" Anne exclaims, shocked and pulling away.

"What?!" Rebecca hisses, looking amused. "Along with your face, they're your best asset to a man. You've no rump to speak of, unfortunately."

"I am not a - a piece of meat for this man to consider purchasing!"

"Oh, sweet Anne." Rebecca wraps her arms around her older sister and gives her a hug. "I know. You're so much more than that. But you must realize now - the men don't see you as that. And you must play the game well if any of us are to have a hope of winning." She gives Anne a peck on the cheek, then laughs. "But nothing's like to happen today! Go on and put some rouge on; you just want to make a good first impression."

***

When the trap draws up at Applethorpe Manor, Anne feels rather less confident that she looks. The house is an old and imposing home, though not so large as some of the famous mansions in the nation. Still, it's got excellent grounds with game, a well stocked fish pond, and a hedge maze. No one has lived here since old Lord Withington passed away...now, apparently, it's gone to new money.

As the trap draws up near the front door, a man comes around the corner of the house, and Anne's breath catches in her throat. She'd expected Mr. Twilwell to look wealthy, but she hadn't expected him to be so handsome. He can't be much older than she is, and he's a slender, firmly built, towheaded young man with sparkling blue eyes. He doffs his hat as the trap approaches, and stands politely at attention next to it as it comes to a stop.

"Hello, hello," he says pleasantly, his voice warm and welcoming. "I'm afraid we haven't met before...to whom do I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Anne smiles as her father's driver opens the door and she alights. "Mr. Twilwell, I presume?" Twilwell - for it is he - nods, and she extends a hand. "My name is Anne Foxhaven. George Foxhaven, my father, and my family reside at Wimbly Place. It's not far from here; just twenty minutes' drive."

"Ah yes! Wimbly. I saw it when I was touring the area. Looked like a charming house." Twilwell courteously sweeps his leg forward into a slight bow, and brushes Anne's extended hand with his lips, which sends tingles down her legs. "What brings you here, Miss Foxhaven?"

"Merely a desire to be neighborly," Anne tells him with a smile. He straightens, returning the smile, and clasps his hands formally behind his back. "We wished to be among the first to welcome you to the area."

"Well, you've certainly managed that!" Twilwell says with a laugh. "Indeed, I only just got here a week ago today, and you've been so forthright in welcoming me that you've come before I have even hired any servants to greet you." Anne laughs as well. "I would be greatly obliged if you would do me the honor of a brief walk so I could get to know you and you can tell me a bit about the area," he continues. "I'd be happy to give you a tour of the house, or perhaps...the grounds?"

Anne hesitates. The house no doubt offers greater opportunity to make pleasant conversation - after all, she can comment on how it used to look and how much he's done with the place - but it's not really proper for a young woman to be in a man's house unchaperoned by even the servants. Then again, the man seems trustworthy, and who on earth would ever know?

Accept the invitation inside? Or suggest a turn through the gardens?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)