More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 384 by Fantasy Fantasy

What's next?

With a nice view.

After Diana and I finished our meal, we took the elevator down to the underground parking lot. We went to her car and… Well, I couldn’t help but think of one thing in particular: Alice would squeal so hard she’d probably pass out.

Affectionately nicknamed the Eight-Six and sporting the iconic black and white color scheme, it was an old car with a status so legendary even I had heard about it. We’d talked about it with Alice a few times and she told me she had never actually seen one in person because it was a 40-year-old car with a price so inflated you either had to be lucky to have kept yours from the 80s or be willing to pay a ridiculous price for a car that was only ever ‘good’ even back in its heyday. You could buy a two-year old car with the same money. I had to wonder if Diana knew what she had.

“Um, this car…?”

“An old piece of junk, huh?” she said, smiling fondly. “It was my dad’s. He was stubborn as a mule, was used to this car and so refused to change it. Now that I have it I can kind of see why. Even as old as it is and with as many kinks as it has, it still runs well.”

“That’s pretty impressive for a car that’s over 40 years old…”

We got in. The seats really did look old, with a few tears here and there, but it had an old-school feel to it that I was sure Alice would love. Even the stereo was stock, only taking cassette tapes.

“Um… If you need to have it checked, I know a mechanic who loves to work on old cars like these,” I told her.

“You do? That’d be helpful. The guy I go to always has issues with parts and stuff like that.”

“The shop is called Knights of the Wheel. Um, disclosure, it’s the shop of the brother of one of my girlfriends…”

Diana chuckled. “Ah, I see. Well, I’ve been looking for a new mechanic, so it works out anyway. Will they give me a discount if I say you sent me?”

“I can try.” I almost wanted to text Alice immediately to tell her about it, but I refrained.

It was barely a ten minute drive from the mall to the observation tower. We went down into another underground parking lot, but this one had fewer cars. I saw only five others.

We had to pay a cheap entrance fee, then took the elevator all the way to the top. The lookout was a dimly lit dome surrounded by glass. There were more people, yeah, but not many. Some security guards and around ten other visitors. Of them, six were three couples lost in their own little world and the other four were a family with two children who seemed like they’d be leaving soon.

Diana and I walked over to the windows, leaning on the railing and watching the infinite dots of light that spread throughout the city. The mountain where I had my first date with Alice was barely in view, noticeable in the darkness only thanks to the few lights in the lookouts here and there.

“It really looks a lot better from here than from the mall,” I said, gazing from left to right, taking it all in. I took a deep breath and slowly let it out.

“I really like this view, but I rarely ever come here. There’s usually too many people, but the busy season is not here quite yet. This… is nice.”

“Yeah.”

“Sorry. This is boring, isn’t it?”

I shook my head. “I like it. I’ve come to appreciate quiet, simple moments. I used to take them for granted,” I said with a faint chuckle.

“...” Diana moved a little closer to me, her elbow on the railing touching mine. “How’s school for you?”

I dared to be a bit bolder and also moved close, enough that my arm was now against hers. Diana didn’t move away.

“It… used to be hard. I don’t mean in the academic side, though I’ve never been the best at that, either. I bet Maria told you. I had… No, I still have a bad case of social anxiety. I’ve been working on it, but I used to be afraid of interacting with people to a ridiculous degree. Couldn’t even talk to anyone. My own classmates either thought I was mute or that I was up to no good.”

She turned her head to look from the view in front of us down at me. She was about a head taller than me. If she was shorter than Thomas, the difference couldn’t have been more than some 5 centimeters. Still, I didn’t mind. Actually… I might even like it a bit.

“Doesn’t look that way to me,” she said with a smile. “Maria did say that about you, but it’s hard to believe.”

“...I’ve been pushing myself,” I said, my cheeks heating up. “I don’t like being awkward like that. I hate it. And besides, I wouldn’t make a good impression if I didn’t say a word the entire date, right?” I half-joked.

Instead of a laugh or even a chuckle, Diana’s response was a grimace. “Right. I’m sorry.”

“Hm? What for?” I asked her.

“For the scowls, the glares, the cold tone…” She swallowed. “I… hate being like that, too, but… I can’t help it sometimes. It just… happens.”

“It’s fine. It didn’t bother me,” I assured her with an easy smile. “I’m glad I could tell it wasn’t on purpose. I admit, it did make me a bit scared that I was just being a bother.”

“Not at all. I’m thankful. I… always end up pushing people away. I don’t want that to happen anymore.” Her lips curled into a twisted, self-deprecating smile. “You would think I would’ve figured it out by now.”

“Who can say? I still don’t think I have. I still avoid situations that could be awkward, still have trouble talking to strangers. It’s not as bad as it used to be, but that’s because I’ve been taking it one step at a time. I admit, I… had very unfair help from… you know, these powers I mentioned, but I want to believe they wouldn’t have meant anything had I not dared to take the important steps when it mattered.” I let out a soft groan and rubbed the back of my neck. “I’m sorry. I don’t mean to make this about myself. I’m not very good at this stuff. I just…”

I suddenly felt her fingers on my hand. My chest tightened and my heart raced as Diana put her hand over my knuckle. Swallowing, I looked up at her. Her face was closer.

I leaned in closer as well. Before long, our lips met, and I was filled by a familiar, ethereal pleasure that went beyond that of a kiss.


Author's Note: If you enjoy the story, please consider supporting me on Patreon. It would help me pay for the dentist.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)