More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by dragon_jak dragon_jak

Next

Well that's not good

Purple energy blasted outwards, turning the heavy iron box inside out like it was a coke can. The quiet kitchen was filled with a deafening roar, like ocean waves battering against one's ears, over and over again. The brilliant purple light buried itself in Jacob's eyes, and he dropped the box in pain. Ruby was quicker, shielding her face with her tiny arms. The shockwave hit them both, slamming Ruby against the now closed door, knocking the wind out of her. Jacob stayed standing, planting his feet and taking the hit like a boxer taking a haymaker to the head.

Just as quickly as the whirl of chaos had started, it stopped. The light, the sound, the energy, it all stopped. Burn marks were all that was left, streaking across the cupboards and oak floor. Ruby slumped to her knees, trying to get her breath back. She breathed in deep, shaking like a leaf. Jacob just stood still, a bead of blood starting to flow out of his nose. He stared down at the shattered "box", his eyes wide and his mouth half open.

"What the fuck," he whispered.

"Hrgh," Ruby replied, taking in a long, rattling breath.

"WHAT THE FUCK!" Jacob said, his face shifting in a fluid motion from shock to rage, "They left a goddamn bomb? What in the fuck- why didn't they- ARGH! FUCK!"

"Please don't yell," Ruby whimpered, clutching her ringing ears.

Jacob seemed to remember his girlfriend, his face softening a bit. He offered a hand, helping her onto shaky feet and asking, "You okay kitten?"

Ruby didn't say anything, instead hugging him tightly. He wrapped his stick-thin arms around her in turn, and they held there for a moment. It seemed to Ruby, with her head to his chest, as if their hearts were beating in perfect harmony.

"What do we do now?" Jacob whispered, running a hand through her hair.

"I don't know," Ruby said, "I just... do we have anything for a headache?"

"I wish we did." I wish we did

"Same. I'll just-" Ruby was cut off as something flashed out of the corner of both their eyes.

Jacob pulled away from the hug, still holding his girlfriend upright, as they took a look at the burnt counter top. A little package was sitting on an unburnt section. It was clean, white, with bold red lettering.

Mr. Magicarium instant headache cure. Migraines, headaches, muscle tension, all gone with a single pill!

"Did you...?" She turned to ask, but Jacob just shook his head. They stared at the strange box.

"I suppose you wanted something for your headache right?" Jacob said, scratching his beard in thought, "Did you get magic without telling me?"

Ruby chuckled despite herself, "If either of us was going to be magic, it would be you Mr. Perfect omelettes."

The two of them laughed. It was a nervous laugh, betraying how out of their depth these two twenty-somethings were. Better that they were together. Jacob tried to imagine what he'd do if this had happened to him while alone, and figured there'd be way more freaking out. Ruby's mind occupied itself with fishing one of the tablets out of the packaging.

"Wish me luck," she said, popping the cure and swigging down some water. She grimaced, expecting something worse to happen. Jacob pulled out his phone, ready to call ambulance if anything happened.

There was a second, then another.

"How... Are... Are you okay?" He said.

"... I'm fine!" She said, shaking her head to test. The pain just vanished. The ringing shut down instantly, and the sudden silence surprised her, "woah, it works!"

She snatched up the packaging and thrusted it towards Jacob, "try some!"

What does Jacob do?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)