More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by 0Faceinthecrowd0 0Faceinthecrowd0

Which Story Will You Pick?

Veridian Fields

As the sun rose on the early July day, it accented the near perfect scenery at Veridian Fields Golf and Country Club. From the immaculate green grass to the impressive architecture showcased in each of the spa, pro club, and fitness buildings. You could hear the soft breeze and chirping of birds that helped bring its patrons a sense of tranquility and peace. Every detail was spotless and not a single thing was out of place. Nothing other than the sound of old metal clanking from the rusted late model Ford Gran Torino that just swerved in the parking lot and nearly jumped the curb.

“Tell me Ken, were you aiming for the parking spot or the front lobby?” JJ only somewhat jokingly grilled his best friend, Kenny Clark. Kenny took no offense to the snide comment about him or his driving as he looked at JJ with a mocking face and ever so gently put his prized possession car in park.

James Jackson, or to his friends “JJ”, was the first to hop out of the aging car and not a moment too soon as he saw it as rusted out contraption. JJ took the moment to look around and examine the new place that they’d arrived at. He had to admit, everything looked even nicer than how Kenny had described it and figured it might not be the worst place to work after all. Not that he’d ever let Kenny know that he was right about something. JJ and Kenny have been best friends for years now and are currently missing their third friend in the trio, Mindy.

“Just out of curiosity, on the ever-upcoming day that this ‘graceful piece of art’ as you like to put it Kenny, happens to fail and end up in an accident, will that get us out of having to work here?” Avery West added as he begrudgingly stepped out of the backseat and gave his legs a stretch. The drive wasn’t much more than 20 minutes, it was more so the anxiety from the first day of a new job that had made Avery so uptight. Kenny stepped out of the car as well, flipping the manual lock before carefully closing the door and using the bottom of his shirt to shine the driver’s side mirror.

“Does that add horsepower or something man? Better gas mileage? This car is one mud puddle away from being totaled out for the price of a car wash.” JJ continued to lay it on thick as he did nearly any time Kenny drove them somewhere. At this point it would be almost weird if he didn’t. Kenny used his near superhuman ability of ignoring JJ’s snide remarks to walk up next to his other nervous friend and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

“Man, just look at this place. I promise we lucked out big time Avery. It’s a cushy summer job, amazing facility, decent pay, and I was told we could even use the gym and pool for an hour after close.” That minor detail did cause JJ, the athlete of the group, to perk up a bit. He needed to keep in shape for his freshman season of hockey at Bear Mountain University. Kenny was pretty happy about that fact as well knowing that he’ll have to both hit the books and get in shape if he has any shot at the police academy after college. Avery only rolled his eyes as his friend tried to sales pitch him on benefits that have little interest to him. Correction, already successfully pitched him the idea as he is about to walk in the building for his first day. “I’m actually looking forward to seeing where they place us. I’m pretty sure I’m a lock in the maintenance shop working on and rebuilding golf carts. It’s going to be cake compared to keeping this beaut’ on the road. It’s easy money.” Avery just shook his head as JJ actually smiled a bit at seeing his best friend taking the initiative and showing some excitement about something. Kenny is a great guy and a great friend; JJ just wishes that more people saw that instead of the meek and head in the clouds representation that he puts off. An image that JJ is doing his damndest to break Kenny out of before college.

Avery shuffled his feet but tried to keep pace with the other two guys as he didn’t want JJ’s teasing to turn towards him or hear another damn sales promo from Kenny. Avery was a bit of the odd one of the bunch. He much preferred the comforts of his house and cold AC than being at this unfamiliar place surrounded by people he doesn’t know. Socializing for Avery was usually limited to communicating through a headset while he spent hours at a time plugged into his gaming system back home. If it had to be in person, he preferred his small group of friends that included Kenny, Will, Quinn, and Mindy. Avery became good friends with Kenny a while back, partially through video games and also from Avery finally speaking up a bit more once he was comfortable in small group settings. Many of his good friends, including Kenny, wish that he’d voice his opinion and feelings more as he’s actually a decently funny and wise guy underneath his shyness. JJ and Avery’s friendship is a bit more recent but they both get along easy enough due to their mutual friend and respect for Kenny. JJ is even happy to jump in a video game with Avery every now and again, as long as it’s hockey of course.

“So… explain this to me one more time Ken? How exactly did you convince us to throw away our last summer of freedom, maybe our best one at that, before our freshman year of college to work for a bunch of stuck-up rich people? Did you spike my Gatorade before asking me to agree to this last month?” JJ stopped in place for a moment to add a bit of dramatic flare to his questions. Kenny continued his stride only slightly turning his head to answer the guy.

“It wasn’t my idea at all. It was actually Brian’s.” Kenny quietly admitted with a light shrug of his shoulders.

JJ threw his head back with his hand thumping hard against his forehead. He mumbled something under his breath that Kenny wasn’t able to catch. Avery rolled his eyes and dropped his shoulders a bit as he started to turn around, “And on that note, I’m going back to the car.” JJ chuckled at Avery’s dry sarcasm, something that he finds entertaining about the quiet guy. Kenny finally stopped and faced both of his friends as he made a final attempt to get them as pumped up about their summer job as he is. Before he’s given a chance, the front doors of the lodge opened, and the three guys are greeted by no other than Brian White himself.

Brian recently graduated from Greenwall High School with the other three guys. While they were in much different social circles early on in high school, a reality check from Kenny and his offer of friendship brought Brian far from the rich asshole and bully personality of his past. The closer he got to Kenny, JJ and the others, the more Brian himself was ashamed of his past actions and even found himself getting acquainted with Avery, the exact type of guy that he would have publicly ridiculed before. It took some time for the guys to give the ‘new and improved’ Brian a chance but the three guys plus Avery soon became fairly close and plan on keeping their small group together at college. The numerous females in the friend group are still a bit mixed with some not truly trusting his reform. This is something that Brian is well aware of and is determined to prove otherwise. While he’s much friendlier and humbler than before, that certainly doesn’t mean that he’s going to give up his summer at the highly exclusive country club, that’s full of beautiful women, where he’s catered to at every turn. People can’t change everything about themselves after all.

Brian threw his arms around Kenny and JJ and even snagged Avery’s shoulder who tried to wiggle away from his contact.

“Gentlemen! Welcome to paradise! Now Avery, do be a pal and go grab me a margarita on the rocks, would you? I’ll show you an ID if you insist but we both know it’s a fake.” Avery only stared at the eccentric guy in confusion before JJ gave Brian a playful elbow to keep him in line. “I’m joking with you man.” He said in his friendliest tone before looking back at JJ to get an approving nod. “Plus, I’ve already snuck like five of them. One more and I’ll see two of you and won’t know which one to ask for help from.” The group of guys shared a chuckle and knew better to question if Brian was serious or only joking. “Let’s hurry up to the lobby, Justin is about to start the introduction for the new hires. Anyways, I have a 9:00 A.M. appointment at the juice bar.” Kenny gave him a peculiar look as if that didn’t seem to be something Brian would be prompt about. “Dude, it’s across from the lake beachfront where the hot yoga class gets together!” JJ laughed as Kenny rolled his eyes and Brian just grinned back at both of them with pride. “This summer is going to kick ass boys! I’ll check in on you busy beavers a bit later. Don’t get fired on your first day.” With that Brian made his way back into the building in a hurry as the three guys, who all had much different thoughts bouncing around their heads, followed suit.

“Welcome! Welcome one and all. You proud few have the privilege of joining the prestigious summer staff here at Veridian Fields! I’m Justin Jones and I’ll be your host… no, I’ll be your guide to this magical place.”

The lanky middle aged guy playing host came across much more like a TV infomercial presenter than a manager of a swanky club. Justin is a lanky middle-aged man with a gut that showcased his love of dollar beer night and his thinning blonde hair tucked under a visor that looks as old as he is. JJ bit his lip to stifle his laugh at the cheesy intro and the man doing it. Kenny was more interested in taking in the sights and checking out the place, while Avery’s attention was fully on the cute brunette, who was also a new hire going through the first day training. His gaze only broke when he noticed her starting to turn her head in his direction and he quickly locked his eyes forward on Justin as he tried to nonchalantly wipe the sweat beads from his forehead.

No matter how much their animated host tried to talk up his rehearsed speech, the three guys were thinking about anything but. That’s until they heard him mention that it was time to assign roles.

“Alright now listen up you hip youngsters. It is my duty here to assign each of you to a job. No… an opportunity, around the facility.” Justin slowly walked around the new hires and eyed them up and down as he were studying each of them. He stopped first at JJ and looked down at his clipboard from when they first did roll call. “James Jackson! Well look at you, you chiseled Adonis!” Kenny snickered as even JJ was a bit uncomfortable at what was going on. “I bet you’re a mighty fine swimmer huh, son?”

“I mean I can swim…” JJ started to respond, to be quickly cut off.

“Perfect! You’ll be our savior of the waters, protector of the slides. You sir are assigned to lifeguard duty.”

JJ had little chance to respond before Justin quickly hopped in front of his next victim, nearly startling the young girl. The girl had short black hair with sparkling blue eyes that accented her cute face perfectly. Avery couldn’t help but noticed her perfect breasts that stretched against the material of her new club polo or the fact that she had an amazing ass as well. Justin looked the cute brunette up and down as he glanced at his notes and then back at her. “Tessa is it?” Justin said as the now nervous girl nodded her head. “Says here that you’re an experienced masseuse? You’ll be right at home in our top-of-the-line spa. You can just follow this young man over once we dismiss, as you’ll both be working together.”

Avery was still sneaking glances at the gorgeous girl, not even realizing that Justin was now standing directly in front of him. Avery let out a light shriek once he saw Justin’s beady eyes fixed on his own. Once again, JJ and Kenny tried their best to keep their composure.

“Are you listening son? Is this one a little… slow as they put it?” Justin questioned as he looked at the two young men next to Avery who were now fighting back tears of laughter while they slowly shook their heads no. “Well anyways… Avery, I’ve also got you on spa duty. You can help with the front desk, washing the towels, wiping down the surfaces and of course assisting all of the guests with only the best customer service skills. That and helping this beautiful young woman with anything that she needs.” Avery gulped and nearly bolted from his place. He was now wondering what kind of hell Kenny had signed him up for. All desire to run out was lost when he looked over and saw the sweet smile of the girl next to him who he now had the privilege of working with. It just donned on Avery that he would be working in close proximity with this pretty girl and actually have to talk to her on a daily basis. This may truly be his nightmare.

Justin finally made his way to Kenny. Kenny was less nervous about his job assignment but more so of the walking / talking Axe body spray advertisement in front of him that was Justin. The manager gave him a quick one over and then studied his notes carefully.

“One Kenneth Clark. I actually have some notes here about your skillset and we are thankful to have you on the team. Prepare those skilled hands of yours as you will report to the pro shop for your job as Golf… Caddy!”

Will Kenny be able to correct his job assignment?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)