More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by TheOptimisticDuck TheOptimisticDuck

What's next?

Try and strike up a conversation...

The subsequent twenty-four minutes are some of the most awkward of your life.

Sometimes your passengers ask you questions. Sometimes they prefer to be asked. But just about everyone enjoys talking about themselves, at least if you feign enough interest. And with Emma Watson in the back of your car, feigning interest is no difficulty at all.

But when you ask Emma, casually, ‘so what brings you to this part of town?’ there’s a hard, uncomfortable silence. And when you glance in the mirror, you see her staring angrily back at your, lips pressed tightly together.

‘Look, I don’t mean to be rude,’ she says, finally, ‘but could you please just drive?’

‘Oh,’ you say, stupidly.

‘It’s just I don’t feel much like talking at the moment.’ She settles back against the seat, and looks pointedly out of the car window.

‘Sure, no problem,’ you mumble. The rest of the drive proceeds in deafening silence.

As you approach her destination – some posh Hollywood hotel – you get the feeling Emma might be regretting her words, but is feeling too awkward to say anything. She keeps glancing at you in the mirror, then looking away quickly – and her face has definitely changed. Far from the stony, tight-lipped look she was wearing before, now she just looks preoccupied. And sad.

Maybe she had a rough night, you think, and a wave of sympathy washes through you.

The spark of annoyance you felt at being rebuffed has faded almost completely by the time you arrive at the hotel. Emma moves quickly to get out, but you beat her to it; leaving the engine running, you open her door for her and offer a hand to help her onto the sidewalk.

It’s clearly unexpected. ‘Oh – thank you,’ she mutters, still avoiding your gaze. ‘That’s very kind – you didn’t have to get out.’

‘Of course I did,’ you say cheerily, determined not to leave things on a bad note. ‘All part of the service, ma’am. And could I just say – it was amazing to actually meet you. Love your work – I think you’re awesome. Have a great night.’

Emma doesn’t respond for a long moment.

Shit. Was that overkill?

Then, suddenly, completely unexpectedly, she starts to cry.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)