More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by HaremStarter HaremStarter

What news could have Governor Restan so worried?

They Both Are To Be Branded Traitors!

Restan's face was as grim as . His hands tightly gripped a piece of parchment. "William, I would not have called you back from the sea if I didn’t consider what I am about to tell you to be of the utmost importance." Restan then tossed the crumpled paper onto his desk before turning to opening a decanter of brandy. He poured himself a glass and offered one to William knowing his friend would take but refuse to drink. Restan took a long sip of the burning liquid before continuing. "You and I have known each other what nineteen twenty years?"

"Twenty-three," William corrected as he eyed the suspicious discarded letter.

"Right, right," Restan nonchalantly agreed as he finished his glass of liqueur. "And in that time I have entrusted countless privileged knowledge to you, some of which I'm not even sure the King himself would approve of me confiding." Governor Restan paused for a long moment to stare with malice at the wrinkled paper on his desk before he composed himself and continued.

"My spies have informed me that the Ithacan parliament, under pressure from the West-Walvons Trading Company, has passed a measure revoking all current Letters of Marque and branding their bearers pirates," Restan stated; spitting out the words like they tasted of bile.

Captain Kent blanched. "I am not now nor have I ever been a pirate! Yes, I have hunted the shipping of Merca, Webinar, and Sylfia for most of four decades, but I have never once taken a prize from any Ithacan ship." William then grabbed the paper and looked it up and down. His anger ran so hotly that the words were incomprehensible. He slammed it back down on Reslan's desk before continuing. "Not that I haven't had cause! Three times I have been attacked by other Ithacan privateers looking to "make their bones" by besting "Bloody Bill" Kent."

William gripped the arms of the chair so tightly that his knuckles turned white. He rose hastily and haphazardly shoved the now unoccupied chair. Its wooden legs scraped against the mahogany floor letting out a screech of defiance. "Now! Now I am to be counted among the traitors and savages of Black Port?"

Restan poured himself another glass of and slumped down into his chair. He picked up his drink but did not bring it to his lips. Instead, he merely gave it a melancholy stare. "It's worse. Much worse. I have been told that as a frequent associate of 'pirates' that I am to be stripped of my governorship and clapped in irons, to be tried and condemned by the Star Chamber of Ithaca."

Restan turned and slung his drink from his hand. The glass shattered into a million pieces as it impacted with the stone wall of his study. "This is neither just nor honorable! You and I bargained with those dogs in good faith. Now the bounty you brought this nation and the territorial gains I made as one of its governors are being tossed aside for reasons I know not. But I tell you this I do not intend to go to the gallows meekly!"

"What do you suggest," William asked for any course of action that would not lead to him being at the end of a rope.

"You must become the dread pirate you have been branded as," Restan said regaining his composure. "I will be leaving the city before the night is through. When next you hear from me it will be to inform you on who poisoned the Star Chamber against us."

"Very well," William said rising to his feet. "I will cut a bloody swath across the open waters. So much so that once you reveal who the treacherous cur who is behind this the clamor for his blood will be heard the world over."

With that said William turned and headed for the door his mind racing as to how he would need to prepare for his aggressive band of piracy. I shall need to inform Jack to sell our cargo quickly. We'll need to be light and fast if were to accomplish what I have in mind. William then reached into his pouch and produced ink, quill, and parchment. He began to write.

Jack,

Have the ship unloaded as quickly as possible. Use the black market merchants if you have to. I want to be ready to sail on the morning tide. Inform the men that I have but to cut their shore leave to just one night. Give each man just enough in coin to satisfy their pleasures for the evening, no more. I'll not have them too hung over so as to be unfit to sail come the morrow. Also, let the men know that any who do not make it back before we shove off will be left to fend for themselves. Finally, give my love to Tethys.

William

He had finished with the code phrase he and his first officer Jack had come up with in case it had ever come to full out piracy. His first officer would now know that he was not only to follow the preceding instruction but that he should also go and quickly procure more crew. Preferably those of the rougher variety.

Not waiting for the ink to dry the Captain quickly dusted the letter in fine sand and then folded the paper in three. He sealed the letter with a lump of wax marked with the ship's insignia.

Tucking the letter into his jacket pocket, William made his way back to the harbor town. Not far from the Governor's residence, he came upon a boy playing amongst the hills.

"Ahoy, child what is your name?" William asked.

"Fig," the boy answered as he looked around nervously.

William went to one knee in front of the boy and placed a reassuring arm around his shoulder. He reached into his jacket and pulled out the letter. "Do you know your way around the docks?"

"Yes sir, it's the best place for a game of hide and seek in the entire town," Fig enthusiastically replied as though he were anticipating a grand adventure was afoot.

"Aye, that it is," William replied with a chuckle thinking of all the spies that would have agreed with Fig. "Now I have a job for you." He then held the sealed paper in front the wide-eyed boy. "I need you to take this to a ship that's docked there, The Catherine's Fancy. Can you remember that name?"

"Yes, yes!" Fig said while vigorously shaking his head.

"Good," William said continuing. "Now ask for a man named Jack. Give this to him and only him." Then William dipped his hand into his money belt and pulled out a sterling silver coin. "Show him this and say the captain promised you that he would give you another to match."

The boy turned and in a dead sprint headed to the dock. William Kent watched as Fig disappeared among the winding streets before continuing at a more leisurely stroll.

I should take my own advice and have fun before the coming storm sets in. When I set sail again I'm not likely to have much rest until Restan can discern who has poisoned Ithaca against me; William thought. I wonder what new girl's Melinda has taken on since the last time I visited the Cat's Meow. Or maybe old man Ralph still sings a hearty sea shanty at the Half Baked Clam.

What will Captain Kent do for relaxation?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)