More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Krevmh Krevmh

What does Lara do?

The Russian Job

There was that one that caught her eye, a Russian Kurgan uncovered during nuclear testing during the cold war. Novaya Zemlya had no record of native settlers, only those from mainland Russia. To uncover a burial tomb that predated Kievan Rus' was world-changing news, so of course, the Soviet Union had kept it classified until its fall. When word finally got out to the rest of the world, the Kurgan was picked as clean as bones in the desert. That didn't stop archeologists from poking around of course, and it had always been in Lara's book of vacation spots. The only reason it was in her records for work now was an email she'd gotten from one of her more reliable sources about sonar testing showing a sealed inner sanctum. It was strictly a secret, but for how long there was no telling. Lara wrote the email back and wired her source the usual finder's fee, with the promise of a cut of anything found. She'd have to make sure her passport was still good, but she'd made a few friends in the area.

Lara's Journal: An hour out of landing in Russia to check reliable rumor on a secret chamber of the Unnamed Novaya Zemlya Kurgan. All accounts say it was a dry source by the fall of the Berlin Wall but rumor comes from one of my more trusted sources. Flying into Sheremetyevo International where I expect to make contact soon after with local friend Duchess Alexandra Vladimirovna, the Last heiress of the Romanov dynasty. Despite the annual competition for the title of the wealthiest woman on the planet, she remains on cordial terms with the Croft estate and welcomed my visit with open arms. I haven't visited her estate since I was an infant and should expect nothing less than world-class treatment. However, I feel some concern. The good Duchess has always been... eccentric. She treats anybody younger than her like fragile glassware and anybody older like a highway robber. I may have some trouble pulling myself away from her for long enough to do my business, but she's the only person who could throw enough weight to get me where I need. I suspect I may be stepping directly into a gilded cage.

The car that was waiting for Lara at the airport couldn't have more loudly declared its value if it had been upholstered with blood diamonds. Lara could only read a smattering of Cyrillic, but she was familiar enough to recognize a sign reading "Лары Крофт." When she greeted the sign holder, he guided her into a limo that could only be described as "beyond excessive." The back seat alone was probably upholstered with some endangered species. Lara helped herself to some of the liquor that had been set out for her, she politely declined what looked like caviar. The ride from the bustling airport to the secluded countryside passed in near-perfect silence, the driver didn't so much as lower the divider to speak with her. Lara couldn't help but doze slightly as the quiet hum of the engine pushed them along winding road after winding road.

When the car slowly glided to a stop, Lara looked out one of the darkly tinted windows and saw towering gates sliding open. When the limo passed through they entered mile upon mile of carefully sculpted gardens decorated with greek architecture. Lara straightened up and made sure she was presentable before they came to a stop in front of a building that dwarfed the Croft manor. Outside of it was a short woman wearing heels sharp enough to make her stand almost shoulder-height with the stone-faced flank of security guards around her. She was in her 40s, and she was allowing the deep brown of her ponytailed hair to surrender to salty grey at the roots. Though she did a good job to hide it behind an almost satirical tiara. She was wearing a leather pencil skirt and a chiffon top that bulged tightly against almost shockingly large breasts. Had Lara not seen the lady's mother before, she would have believed they were artificial. Her blood-red lipstick and gaudy leopard-print sunglasses were the only discernable features on a snow-pale and almost ageless face.

Lara stepped out of the limousine, even in a warm jacket and long pants she was instantly rocked by the coldness of the air outside the limousine.

"Darling, darling, darling!" Alexandra called as she lacked awkwardly down the stairs toward Lara. Lara went up to meet her halfway and got suffocated by her ludicrous bosom as a result.

"Hello, Alexandra." Lara greeted muffedly.

"It's been so so so long! You must visit more often!" Alexandra said as she squeezed Lara tight. When she let Lara go she looked her up and down. "Alvays so thin! The only place you keep veight is your chest! Are you sure ve aren't related? Sisters maybe?"

"You'd be the younger one then, you haven't aged a day Alexandra." Lara said as Alexandra planted a lipstick mark on Lara's cheek.

Alexandra tutted "Such silver tongue, you learned that from your father. Please, you must call me Alex, ve are sisters here!"

A pair of men stepped past them carrying Lara's bags up into the mansion. All of the security guards had a similar look about them, all walls of muscle with clean shaves and military cuts. All of them seemed young enough to be completely green, some of them looked like they had just left general education.

Alex noticed Lara's stare. "Is something the matter dear?"

"It seems like you have a type when it comes to guards."

Alex laughed mischievously "Vat can I say darling? If the house and the lady are beautiful, the boys should be easy on the eyes. Young and eager, like any man should be." She clapped and one of them stepped down toward her wordlessly.

"Anton, dearest, this is the famous Lara Croft."

The man's face barely shifted, but he looked on Lara with clear admiration. "Our instructor told us about her."

"Vat did he say, dearest?"

"That he decided to take it easy on her because she was a girl and that she broke his jaw as a result."

Alex laughed "Lara alvways vas such a rebel. I do vish she vould leave the fighting to the strong young men." She stroked a hand down Anton's chest as she lamented. "Vile she is here you and your boys vill treat her as nicely as you treat me."

Anton nodded in acknowledgment. He lead the women into the mansion and Alex gave her an abbreviated tour, Lara suspected the full tour would have cost them several hours. Alex showed the important parts, the kitchen the could feed a developing nation, the spa with a live-in masseuse, the exercise room that Alex mainly seemed to use to watch the guards exercise without doing so herself. When they arrived at Alex's room, Anton reminded her that she had a dinner party she would need to depart for soon.

"Ach! You are too right, vell Lara I'm afraid I must leave for today. Ve don't keep the president vaiting."

"Thank you for your hospitality Alex, could we potentially prepare for our trip to the Kurgan in the next few days?"

"Yes, yes, yes but I can't you to myself tomorrow, it vill have to vait."

"Not a problem, good night, Alex."

The woman lacked off into her room and called a guard in after her for help changing. Anton showed Lara to a nearby room that had been set aside for her. Before Anton dismissed himself, he managed to stammer out a question.

"Pardon, Lady Croft?"

"Yes, Anton?"

The towering brick wall of a man seemed extremely humbled to be asking. "Sorry if my English is poor, but I would ask you for a favor."

"What is it?"

"Lady Romanov would not approve but... you're legend among the men here. All of them admire you very much, but they're all very low experienced. You would do honor if you could sparring with us."

"Oh, really? I'm flattered. I would be happy to show your boys the ropes sometime if we can get away from Alex."

"Da, da!" Anton nodded "Our teacher tell us stories of you during training to teach us to never underestimate the enemy. When we would fail he would tell us to be more like Lara."

"Your teacher sounds like a wise man, what was his name?"

"He is Leonid, he still trains in Moscow."

"I never knew Leonid survived, I'm glad to hear he's doing better now that he isn't working for the Mob."

Anton laughed "Leonid say getting beaten by you was best thing to happen to him."

Anton dismissed himself and left Lara to herself. Her bags were all set neatly at the foot of the bed and the luxurious bed was itself covered with chocolates and flowers. Among them were a few letters of admiration from the staff. It seemed there were two running themes with Alex's staff. Attractive young men and having loose mob connections... Lara had never thought much about her past with the Russian mob, but it seemed that in getting rid of Sergei she'd done them a lot more good and bad.

"If I'd known I was this good with the Russian underworld I'd have had them set me up here."

Lara unpacked and familiarized herself with the room. Including the personal bathroom with attached personal sauna and spa. She decided to make use of the shower that outsized most studio apartments and luxuriate in the bath for a while. It would never cease to amaze her how, somehow, flying still stressed her out more than being shot at. She finally wrapped herself in a fluffy towel and climbed into the decadent bed.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)