More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by majus majus

Who is it?

The Queen's handmaiden, Beatrice

You stop as you hear the door open. As you see one of your mother's handmaidens, Beatrice, enter with food for you, you can't help but snarl.

“Come to brag?” You spit.

She smiles.

“Don't worry. The guard before the door is loyal. We can speak freely.” You notice her look around at the devasted room as she puts the food on table and sits. “Your outburst reached the queen's ears and she was quite happy to hear it.”

You groan in disgust as you fall onto your chair. This entire 'circus' taking it's toll on you.

“How's the situation?” You ask in a completely different tone.

Even before the war, your father included you in plans that were created in case of his untimely . That was the first time that you were acquaintanced with his half-sister, spymaster and lover – Beatrice. A woman of incredible intellect, cunning and cruelty that was as great as her loyalty to her family. You honestly pittied anyone who hurt your family – the things she would do to them...

She predicted the entire situation - the rebellion - including Freya's manipulations (that's why she became her handmaiden, it was easier to manipulate her that way). Frankly you didn't believe it was possible, but she explained the situation to you, point after point. When she finished, you couldn't find any fault in her reasoning. You twirled a cup as you asked how to contain the strife after your father's . She just smiled and answered:

'You don't... You allow all your enemies to believe that they can achieve their dreams. You allow them to squabble amongst themselves until but a few remain alive. Then you strike.... that way when you sit on throne, your house is clean.'

When your father died and all went according to Beatrice's predictions. You shook your head and looked at her.

“Well let's start with your army.” she begins, bringing you back to the conversation.

You wince before you reply.

“Silva made almost the entire army his enemy on his first night when he ordered the confiscation of half of their gold to finance the ongoing campaign.”

You snort in disgust at the idea as Beatrice calms you,

“Your officers really dislike their new commander. They were loyal before, now Silva has made them love you. You just need to give the word and he's gone.”

While its good news it hardly helps you at the moment. She adds,

“Countess Heide Cassirer was arrested by duke Bastian Herdrich. She was found one morning in her bed by the duke's servants, with her husband lying right next to her – dead. Since she was covered in his blood and had the knife in her hand it made her guilt obvious.”

You shudder. Your aunt had some capable assassins to pull off this one. Count Raimund Cassirer was a good friend of duke Herdrich. Both of them supported Lord Frederick. The of one of them was a boon. As well as the arrest of the Countess was within her calculations. Her loving father, Duke Eckhardt Rohrbach – one of Queen Freya supporters, would surely try to free her. That will create the rift between Freya and Frederick's factions.

"Go on... I know you've done more than that..." You press curiously.

Grinning knowingly she says, “Well... Count Wulf Heiden's forces and Lord Rudolf Gruber's army accidentally clashed on Fir plains. It was night, when both armies camp's were raided. In confusion, the armies attacked the nearest 'hostile' element. The fights lasted until day break and both armies lost half of their numbers.”

You smirk. Two of the Queen's supporters lost half of their forces. Nothing big, but an excellent show of their incompetence... that's important.

"Of course there is more..." She adds with a smile pouring more wine.

"Oh? Do tell..." you ask with a grin.

“The High priest Woldemar Clasen was found drunk with several prostitutes by the nuns of the Order of Black Rose. That has created a conflict between him and Canoness Lena Uebelhoer.”

With that scandal you know the clergy will concentrate on internal affairs instead of trying to put someone else on the throne. You and your mother are more than enough. You can't help but wonder, how much the prostitutes were payed by your aunt.

Adjusting in her seat, your eyes get a glimpse of her incredible busty chest in her dress as she adds, "Not to mention the queen successfully quenched Lord Marcel Stangl's rebellion. She had him and his entire family, executed... Even their servants weren't spared the blade... Such a shame.”

With the kingdom's rebellious elements taken care of one by one it will certainly help you rebuild later. The Stangls were but one of a number of troublesome elements that were exterminated by your mother. Of course Beatrice made sure that there was always some reason to exterminate them. When you ascend the throne, it would be a unified Kingdom that you would lead... after deposing of tyrant Queen, of course.

Also this victory gives Freya some minor success, some peace of mind, and lulls her into believing that she's competent enough to crush any rebellion. Ironically, her executing entire noble families will only make her more enemies – who will either join you or further sap Freya's strength.

Sipping her wine she says, "My scouts also bring news, the Sword of the Evening, Lord Ronald Bode, with his forces and two companies of sell swords, was sent to northern border...”

The Sword of the Evening, Lord Ronald Bode, the greatest of swordsman in Kingdom, a competent commander and loyal servant to the throne.

You have given him command to secure the northern border, the only place that could be attacked by external enemies. With him guarding the border, you will be safe from outside dangers and will be able to concentrate on internal problems.

"In addition my spies tell me Lady Felicitas Schor was imprisoned when correspondence bearing her seal was found in one of Taggocia Kingdom's camps.”

Letters were placed there by Aunt Beatrice. Lady Schor was a gifted woman – in more than few ways. She herself done nothing against the throne, but worked against one of your steadfast supporters. Right now, infighting was not permitted so the solution had to be found... Her talents would be useful after you ascended the throne. After all, the traitors to the kingdom are generally treated unkindly. You would give her a second chance by not trusting the letters – that would secure her loyalty... if not, she could always be executed alongside the other traitors.

You nod in agreement before asking, “So everything is going as planned?”

Smiling with pride she happily replies, “Oh our plans are moving smoothly.... Almost all of our enemies are preoccupied in some manner, draining their resources while our allies wait patiently and gather strength. It won't be much longer. But there are few elements that are worrisome.”

Getting serious you ask, "Oh? What could possibly be more worrisome?"

“Azar has an ambition to put her daughter, Ivette, on the throne, while calling herself Queen Dowager. She did manage to get support of the City Guard Captain. While thats the limit of her support its still it's dangerous start..."

"Hardly worrisome, a boy can best that Captain..." You chuckle.

Nervously she adds, "That's not all... a famous assassin, Enzo of Sicily was hired to kill you.... Call it insurance in case you escape. We do not know where he is or the person he was hired by."

"Well what do you know...?" You ask curiously.

"Not much... only that he is operating in the kingdom. I should know more but several of my spies that were sent to track Enzo were recently found dead. Be careful of this one, he is a dangerous man...."

"Who else can we call upon?" You ask.

"Lord Richard of Hartlon is hesitant about which side to support. We could convince him... or maybe one of his stepdaughters... a new Lady of the Hartlon would be more supportive to our cause...

"Lady Regina Herreshoff, servant of Queen Freya, leader of Warriors of the Serene, is also a surprisingly competent leader. We will need to take care of her somehow.... Some are even whispering about sorceress Halaema making some moves."

"Thank you for the report, it helps make everything much clearer for me." You reply with a smile.

"Well what do you want to take care of next?” She asks eagerly.

What's your next move?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)