More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Omega98 Omega98

What's next?

Super-powered Educational and eXcellence School (S.E.X. School)

It was started because established Superheroes wanted their sidekicks, and promising individuals, to have a safe place where they could learn about their powers and abilities. Created through magical means, the Super-powered Educational and Excellence School was set up in an artificial pocket dimension where time passes differently; one year spent in the pocket dimension passes at a rate of roughly one day in the real universe. Further, anyone inside the pocket dimension would stop aging for the duration of their stay. This was to allow students the time necessary to master their talents while not aging dis-proportionally to the world.

Admission was originally based upon voucher; only a recognized superhero would be allowed to bring a gifted student to the school. Several years (and experiences) later this was seen as too restrictive. Troubled and gifted kids who may not have turned to a life of crime had they received proper guidance and encouragement should be allowed to enroll some (successfully) argued. Further, many possible students were ignored simply because they never encountered a superhero. As such, the school commissioned 'recruiters' to monitor the world and seek out talented individuals who may have been overlooked.

Upon admission, students were organized into lodgings or 'houses' (as the students liked to call them) based upon how they came about their powers. The lodgings are as follows:

Superiors - These students have no special powers or abilities that any other member of their species does not also posses. Rather than 'superpowers', these individuals rely more on fighting ability, determination, creativity, and most importantly, willpower. Symbol: Human Torso. Examples of Natural superheroes include: Batman, The Punisher, Hawkeye or Green Arrow.

Metahumans - Either born with or having acquired an abnormality in their genetic makeup, these people were destined to develop some sort of ability at some point in their lives. Whether it be telepathy, psychokinesis, energy projection, physical manipulation or any other strange ability, these students are taught the prefects of control, discipline, manipulation, and skill with their power(s). Symbol: Double Helix. Examples of Mutant superheroes include: The X-Men, Spider-Man, The Flash, and The Hulk.

Technology - Whether they stumbled upon some sort of super-advanced technology, or they built it themselves, one thing is certain, technology based superheroes need to be the smartest of the bunch, because without their tech, they aren't much of a threat. As such, tech students have an intense focus on analysis, clarity, creativity, and intellect. Symbol: Gear Cog. Examples of tech-based superheroes include: Iron Man, Green Lantern, The Vision, Stargirl, or The Atom.

Magic - Through thorough study and examination, rigorous tests and investigation, no one knows how or why the fuck magic works. Whether it be a student of the mystic-arts, or a gem that grants incredible power, there is no explanation for how someone or thing can do something that he, she or it shouldn't be able to do. Though they defy definition, students in the magic house work hard to uncover the secrets, and limits, of their power. Symbol: Open Palm with Sparks. Examples of Magic superheroes include: The Doctors Strange and Fate, Wonder Woman, Thor, Zatanna, and The Scarlet Witch.

Though originally all of the lodgings co-operated and worked well together, the increased roster of students has caused some serious friction between both students and 'houses'. Further, in an effort to help rehabilitate some 'less villainous' offenders, some gifted felons have been added to the faculty. The reasons for this vary from legitimate desires to reform to the fact that in some cases the only people qualified to teach about certain things are super villains. It remains to be seen if these 'unsavory' figures will stick to the rules, or if they have their own agendas.

As for the houses, natural alliances and enemies have formed over time.

Superiors tend to have a sympathy for metahumans, considering the other house to have received a 'raw-deal' in life. At times they struggle to get along with magic users but the two houses seem to be on friendly terms. Superiors are inherently 'put-off' by the arrogance of the Techs. As they see it, without their coveted technology, Tech students are vastly less capable than themselves.

The Metas relationship with the superiors seems fine; however, after graduation the mutants know they must return to a world filled with 'Normies' that will hate and fear them. There's an inherent distrust of tech students among the metahumans, as tech is often times used to take their powers away. And there's a lot of anger from metas over magic students. To the metas, magic is even more unknown than mutation; yet the rather than responding with fear and suspicion, the population seems to almost idolize and worship magical power.

Techs get along well with Magic users as, in many cases, sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Tech students might admire a superior's resourcefulness, but that's about it. To Techs, technology is the future of humanity, naturals are the way of the past. Metahumans however, scare the shit out of techs. The secret question resides, what use is some mechanical device when there are people born with god-like power?

Magic students, true to form, are the most aloof of the lodgings, preferring not to get too close to any other house. While they share a relatively good relationship with the Superiors, as much magic is derived from and services the natural world, it is still a relationship at arms reach. Magic students are amused by the arrogance of the technology students. Advanced technology might seem the same as magic, but It. Is. Not. Most magic students view metahumans as 'one trick ponies'; though this is far from the truth, and in many cases metas could justifiably say the same thing, it is lost on magic students.

Despite some troubled students, inter-lodging rivalries, and a few teachers with questionable moral compasses, the greatest danger that threatens the students comes from the pocket dimension itself. Outside of the campus grounds, powerful elements act upon this artificial world permeating and infecting everything in it. While the people who created the place desired a safe location to teach and train, time and unknown forces have affected this pocket dimension in ways that its creators never could have foreseen...

[Editor's note - published early, still under discussion and revision -Z.]

What Next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)