More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by buttondownlife buttondownlife

What does Nate do?

Slink out the south exit and make for the dining hall

Nate felt a little embarrassed to traverse the length of Dixon Hall just to avoid some bullies. But he soon forgot all about it. After leaving Dixon Hall, he savored the warmth of the midday sun as he walked over to the dining hall.

Now where was she, he wondered. Didn’t Candace usually sit near the window? Ugh, Nate thought to himself, it’s a bit stalker-ish that he knew her daily whereabouts. It was about time he either made a move or moved on.

There she was, at a table down at the far end of the cavernous dining area. Some dude – Nate couldn’t tell who – was just getting up from the seat across from her. The guy was gone by the time Nate reached her. But he had a sinking feeling that maybe he had a rival for Candace’s affections.

But still, he had to give this a shot.

“Hey Candace. Mind if I sit?”

“I’d like that, Nate.” Her golden hair shimmered in the sunshine streaming through the skylight above her, perfectly framing her big blue eyes and bright smile.

Unfortunately, Nate was not the greatest conversationalist.

“So, how about that literature exam... For an advanced course, you’d think the prof could have written a test that was halfway challenging.”

“Actually Nate,” she said, shyly. “I found it rather difficult.”

“Oh. No. What I meant was, it was actually really hard... just easy for me. Or, no...”

“”It’s okay, Nate. I know you’re a great student, and I admire you for it.”

Flustered, Nate removed his glasses for a moment and bit his lip.

“Um. Really?” was all he could manage.

“Yes. You’re sweet. And cute.”

“Oh wow. That’s great... I mean, I think you’re cute too.”

They made small talk for a while. Candace didn’t seem to mind his awkwardness.

Soon, it was almost time for afternoon classes to begin. It was Nate’s moment of truth.

“Candace. Would you, perhaps, like to have dinner with me this Friday?”

“I’d love to Nate.”

She smiled. Nate was practically beaming.

“Oh wait.”

With those two fateful words, Nate somehow knew he was doomed. Of course he’d never get the beautiful girl.

“I have plans for Friday. I’m supposed to go to a mixer with this new transfer student. He and I were just talking before you got her.”

She must have noticed Nate’s crestfallen appearance. “Definitely not a date. Just part of my part-time job working for the dean’s office. I have to give the new kid a proper orientation. So don’t worry about it, please. You and I can go out later... how about Saturday.”

“That’s perfect Candace. I can’t wait.”

As they emptied their trays and moved toward the exit, Candace added, “Actually, this guy has the same last name as you. I wonder if you know him or if you’re related or something.”

Nate froze. “What’s his name?”

“Hank.”

Should Nate try to contact Hank?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)