More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by LastPandaOnEarth LastPandaOnEarth

What's next?

Open for business

It was getting dark. And later. And later again.

But no guests in sight. Bored, you dry the glasses behind the bar and polish them to a high shine.

You've never had very many customers. You had a few regulars, consisting of a few farmers around here who preferred to come here for a beer after work instead of going home to their complaining wives and nagging kids. That you had an attractive wife, of course, also contributed its part.

But today there was really nothing going on. A craftsman who wanted a drink on the way home and had already left an hour ago. That was it.

So all the more motivated you greet the gentleman who now walked in through the door.

"Welcome, sir, what can I get you?" you ask politely and with the friendliest smile you can conjure up on your lips.

"It smells funny in here" the man grumbled to himself.

"A beer. But only the best and not the swill you usually serve here!" he demanded sternly.

"We only have one sort of beer..." you thought to yourself and poured the customer a cup.

You watch him as you do so.

Elderly gentleman, two money bags on his belt, a golden bracelet, chain, earrings, and also a tooth made of gold. He may be an unpleasant sack, but he has money.

So: the customer is king.

"May I ask what brings you here?" you ask the man as he took the first sip from his cup.

"Hmm. Tastes cheap."

You don't know how to answer that. At a gold piece a cup, the beer here was certainly cheap, but it was also the only thing people around here could afford. If he wants the expensive stuff, then he should go further into the interior of the city, to the expensive inns.

"I'm on a business trip. I own a few stores in town, here in Hyndenburg."

"Are you planning to stay here tonight?" you ask the merchant. So far, all the beds are free, and every additional customer is literally worth gold.

"How much does a night cost?"

"10 gold coins, bath included".

"Cheap."

Ouch.

The man sighed. "I'm too tired to look for something better, though. I'll take the room."

He puts 11 gold coins on the counter.

"Who will take me to my room?"

"Just a moment please," you reply to the merchant, trying not to let on that this customer is saving your evening.

"Mira!" you shout in the direction of the back room, where your wife is probably still tending to the food. She was in charge of the guest's rooms.

"Yes Gunther?" she asked, poking her head out from the doorway.

"Would you please escort our guest to their room?"

"Of course, please follow me," said Mira and walked up the stairs.

"Man, what a hot..." the businessman said quietly to himself.

"What?"

"Nothing," he replies.

"Although..."

The businessman was a bit drunk and swaying a bit. A devious grin on his face told you he was up to no good.

"Is it possible to book the woman as well?"

"Excuse me?"

"Well, you know. Long trip, lots of business, few women. I pay well, too."

With a wave of his hand, he pointed to his wallet.

"Is that your wife, by any chance?"

"Yes it is."

You would have thrown the guy out on the street at this point, but he's still a paying customer.

"Well, she would still be your wife in the morning. Just not tonight." He puts a bag of money on the counter for you. You'd have to count exactly how much, but it's probably something between 40 and 50 gold coins.

Shaking your head, you push the money bag away.

"My wife can't be bought," you say with a serious face.

The businessman looks you in the eye but then relents.

"All right man, but I want you to know that offer stands."

Then he went up the stairs and followed Mira, who had already prepared the room for your guest.

Lending your wife to a customer for gold coins. A crazy idea. You shake your head.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)