More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by HistoricoPublius HistoricoPublius

Does she agree to call on Mr. Twilwell?

No; it wouldn't be proper.

"No...no, I couldn't possibly," Anne murmurs. George sighs and resumes reading his paper.

Rebecca is making eyes at Anne across the table, but Anne can't tell what her younger sister is intending to communicate. After a moment, Rebecca looks exasperated and says, "Well! In that case _I _shall call upon this new neighbor of ours. That seems the friendly thing to do."

"Oh, really?" George looks faintly surprised, but not unpleased. "Good, good. Capital. Perhaps Deborah can help you fix up a gift to take to him, eh? I would accompany you, but I'm afraid I have rather a lot to get done today..."

Anne and Rebecca share another glance. As a landowner, their father rarely has that much to get done. He does, however, hate social calls with a passion.

"I'm sure that won't be necessary," Rebecca says. "But I'd best be off if I'm to see him before it's too late to be sociable. Let me just get ready." She stands and moves away from the table. Excusing herself hurriedly, Anne follows her.

"Rebecca!" she calls softly. Her younger sister pauses on the stairs, looking down at her with a quizzical expression.

"Yes, Anne?"

"What...what are you doing?"

Rebecca looks amused. "I would have thought it was clear. I'm going to go pay this Mr. Twilwell a visit. Get to know him a little." She glances down at herself, frowns, and adjusts her dress. "Do you think this dress will do? I know I've not much bust, but I'd like to show it to advantage..."

"Rebecca!" Anne exclaims softly, scandalized.

"Anne!" Rebecca says, imitating her mockingly but with a twinkle in her eye.

"You can't just...you're not a head of cattle for this man to buy!"

"Oh, sweet Anne," Rebecca says with a sigh. She wraps her arms around her sister's neck. "I'm very much aware that I'm so much more than that. But you must realize now - the men don't see us as that. And we must play the game well if any of us are to have a hope of winning." She frowns slightly. "All of us must play the game well. We're sisters: our reputation impinges on each other's. What people think of one of us, they'll associate with the others, too."

"That much, I know," Anne says wearily. In truth, the stress of being the eldest weighs on her sometimes. She hesitates. "Should...I go with you to Applethorpe?"

Rebecca shrugs. "No, don't bother. I'll be fine on my own." Seeing the look on Anne's face, she laughs. "Oh, Anne! Don't worry. Nothing is like to happen today." She gives Anne a peck on the cheek, then departs to finish getting ready. "I'll make a good impression on the man, and report back to you!"

***

When the trap draws up at Applethorpe Manor, Rebecca casts a cool and appraising eye over it. The house is an old and imposing home, though not so large as some of the famous mansions in the nation. Still, it's got excellent grounds with game, a well stocked fish pond, and a hedge maze. No one has lived here since old Lord Withington passed away...now, apparently, it's gone to new money.

As the trap draws up near the front door, a man comes around the corner of the house, and Rebecca raises an eyebrow in pleased surprise. She'd expected Mr. Twilwell to look wealthy, but she hadn't expected him to be so handsome. He can't be much older than she is, and he's a slender, firmly built, towheaded young man with sparkling blue eyes. Anne would like him. He doffs his hat as the trap approaches, and stands politely at attention next to it as it comes to a stop.

"Hello, hello," he says pleasantly, his voice warm and welcoming. "I'm afraid we haven't met before...to whom do I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Rebecca smiles coolly as her father's driver opens the door and she alights. "Mr. Twilwell, I presume?" Twilwell - for it is he - nods, and she extends a hand. "My name is Rebecca Foxhaven. George Foxhaven, my father, and my family reside at Wimbly Place. It's not far from here; just twenty minutes' drive."

"Ah yes! Wimbly. I saw it when I was touring the area. Looked like a charming house." Twilwell courteously sweeps his leg forward into a slight bow, and brushes Anne's extended hand with his lips, which sends tingles down her legs. "What brings you here, Miss Foxhaven?"

"Merely a desire to greet our new neighbor," Rebecca tells him with a laugh. He straightens, smiling back at her, and clasps his hands formally behind his back. "I wished to be among the first to welcome you to the area."

"Well, you've certainly managed that!" Twilwell says with a laugh. "Indeed, I only just got here a week ago today, and you've been so forthright in welcoming me that you've come before I have even hired any servants to greet you." Rebecca joins his laughter. "I would be greatly obliged if you would do me the honor of a brief walk so I could get to know you and you can tell me a bit about the area," he continues. "I'd be happy to give you a tour of the house, or perhaps...the grounds?"

Rebecca smiles, mind racing. The house no doubt offers greater opportunity to make pleasant conversation - after all, she can comment on how it used to look and how much he's done with the place - but it's not really proper for a young woman to be in a man's house unchaperoned by even the servants. Then again, who on earth would ever know?

Accept the invitation inside? Or take a turn through the gardens?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)