More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by daciasdesire daciasdesire

What news could have Governor Restan so worried?

News on his nephew.

"William, you know that I wouldn't call you back from sea if I didn’t consider what I am about to tell you to be of the utmost significance. Twenty three days ago I sent the fastest ship in my port to go look for you and deliver my missive. William, you and I have know each other many years and during this time I have entrusted much privileged information to you, some of which I'm not even sure the King himself would approve of me telling you. Now, I am about to do so again." Governor Restan paused for a long moment to compose before continuing. "My wife and sons were all taken from me many years ago leaving me without an heir. In fact the only person to carry on The Restan name is my brothers son, my nephew. What you don’t know is that he has been in the service of our beloved King as a spy. His latest mission lead him to hostile Black Port where he was captured a little over three weeks ago."

At the mention of Black Port, William felt his chest tighten. Horrible memories of a time long ago when William had just started out as a sailor came flooding back. Young, he had signed up with a pirate captain; eager for adventure, excitement and fortune. Only to end up captured and tortured for weeks on end in Black Ports jails. If it wasn’t for the intervention of Williams friend and future governor he would have met his end at the gallows, along with the rest of that ill fated crew.

Restan's voice was thick with emotion when he spoke again, "Please dear William. I beg of you. Rescue my nephew. Bring him back to me alive."

Captain Kent could only guess at the anguish his friend must be going through having had no children of his own and with his own family scattered long ago. "It was right for you to call me back. How I know the cruel hell of that place. I would not wish that on any other man. My crew and I are at your disposal. We will have him returned or raise Black Port to the ground trying."

A strangled thank you was all the governor could manage as Captain Kent let himself out of the study.

Governor Restan's words had imparted on William a sense of urgency and a keen desire to be underway. However the practicalities of being a ship's captain meant that he would have to remain in Stillwater for at least one night. There was no way the Catherine's Fancy could be unloaded of her cargo and resupplied in time to make the evening tide. Nor was he willing to sail with the cargo still aboard, as much of it was perishable and wouldn’t keep for another extended sea voyage. William would have to contend himself with catching the next tide, due in tomorrow afternoon.

Captain Kent's first course of action was to notify his first mate back at the ship of the changes and to give him instructions on reloading the ship and what to do about the sailors' wages. At the entrance foyer to Restan's mansion William procured from a servant a leaf of paper, a quill and some ink and jotted down a few simple orders.

"Jack

Have the ship unloaded as quickly as possible and made ready to sail on tomorrows tide. No later. Inform the men that I have but to cut their shore leave to just one night and that I would consider their cooperation a personal favour. Give each man enough in coin to satisfy their pleasures for tonight, what a sailor could be reasonable expected to spend on a first night ashore and one third more. I'll not have them too hung over so as to be unfit to sail come the morrow. Also let the men know that any who choose not to sail with me again because of these orders can collect the remainder of their wages from Tristan the Merchant in three days time.

William"

No doubt their would be some grumbling over the lack of time in port but William knew most of his men were loyal enough to return to the ship tomorrow. Any others would be replaced regardless.

Not waiting for the ink to dry the Captain quickly dusted the letter in fine sand and then folded the paper in three. He sealed the letter with a lump of wax marked with the ships insignia that he wore upon the index finger of his right hand.

Tucking the letter into his jacket pocket William left the mansion and began his walk back to the harbour town. Not far from the Governor's residence, a young child was found playing amongst the hills. William gave the letter to the boy instructing him to run it to the ship as fast as his young legs could carry him. The boy was given a silver piece for his troubles and Will told him, "another would be forth coming from his first mate," to ensure the message arrived safely and in a timely fashion. To a boy his age two silver pieces was a considerable fortune and could buy any number of lollies or other sweet treats. William Kent watched as the boy set off at a sprint before continuing his more leisurely pace.

Shoalwater was alive with hawkers pushing their midday trade by the time William returned to the town. He bought a delicious hot pork pie with a thick white gravy from one of the many vendors and then washed it down with an exotically spiced wine. Having broken his hunger, Captain Kent turned his attention to what must be accomplished in order to set sail tomorrow.

What is the Captains' first order of business?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)