More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by brevdravis brevdravis

Take the long road! What went wrong first?

An autumn storm, and a strange occurence.

It was about the time we hit Santa Cruz that we saw the dark clouds forming. By the time we'd cleared Carmel, we saw thunder, and the next thing you know, downpour. A cloudburst from fucking hell.

"Well this is just great." Kaila groaned, staring out the window at the sheets of rain.

"I'm sorry." I tried, a bit depressed at this turn of events.

"No. It's fine. It's just that the picnic's going to go to waste." She gestured towards the basket sitting in one of the microbus's rear seats.

"C'mon, it'll be romantic." I said, thinking about the cabin. "We'll light a fire, spread the blanket on the floor, have the picnic, then..." I trailed off with a lecherous grin and raised eyebrow.

"Jerk." Kaila shook her head with a smile, turning back to the road.

The rain didn't let up as we wound our way down Highway one. Occasionally, trees overhanging the road would give a brief respite before the onslaught of water continued. It was actually a little romantic, and I let my mind wander, catching what glimpses I could of the ocean through the cascade of liquid that fell from the sky.

I don't know how long we drove, but it was nice, Kaila occasionally reaching over to hold my hand. It made shifting a bit difficult, but a quick hand release, shift, and grasp seemed to work fairly well. The warmth of my wife's hand was a welcome sensation in the slight chill.

"Oh that has to suck." Kaila pointed with her free hand at a couple of figures wearing backpacks. They were still a good distance off, and partially obscured by the rain.

"Yeah," I agreed, taking in the forms that did not appear dressed for the weather. No jackets, no Umbrellas. They both wore hats, one a small green, and the other a floppy brown.

"You know you don't have to stop." Kaila said, her eyes taking on an unreadable expression.

I could make them out a bit clearer, the guy on the left looked young, with a nice backpack that was darkened by the water soaking into it. His companion also carried a pack, but was obviously female, considering the emerald green shirt, which was also drenched.

"Young couple, caught in the rain." I slowed the bus.

"Are you sure?" My wife asked, looking at what looked like a bow strapped to the side of one of the backpacks.

"If it was me, I'd like it if somebody stopped." I smiled, pulling past the two figures on the side of the road. I turned the bus onto the shoulder, and brought it to a halt, pumping my brakes twice as I did.

"I love you." Kaila said softly, as she unbuckled her seatbelt and moved to the back of the bus. She quickly slid open the door, causing the sound of the downpour to echo in the bus.

I looked in the rear view mirror, watching the two backpackers break into a slight jog. They moved to the side of the bus, and it was then that I realized my mistake.

So who Is this Couple?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)