More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by SilverSpectre006 SilverSpectre006

Which Story will you be Starting?

Mystery of the Hallowed Blight! (Under Construction)

The forest howled in unanimous pain and misery, its plants once green slowly decaying into a sick brown rot. Woodland creatures scurried off in fear of this unknown, this vile infection crawling into peaceful lands. A lone squirrel scurried off toward a thin figure who lay dormant, sat within the tree to rest.

Eyes as black as the darkest night parted open and the vine the squirrel sat comfortably on pulled away from its bark revealing to be a slender arm attached to a young dryad. Young green creatures, human in appearance with plant-like features known as the protectors of the forest, the woods and the trees alike. Lately they've dwindled down to a handful, a living endangered species. This one had traveled abroad, settling from one forest and moving on to the next seeking comfort and shelter wherever she went, searching for a young man close to her, with a silly cloak and natural silver hair.

"What is this? What is this thing?" Lifting the squirrel inches from her nose, she listened carefully as it continued squeaking back to her, as if somehow both animal and dryad could understand each other. Perhaps a trick or an ability these ancient creatures possess, no doubt. "Bright, and growing? No, not growing, spreading."

Turning to her left, she groaned as she forcibly stood up and out, snapping the roots connecting her to the tree she rested in. Stretching her limbs momentarily, the squirrel moved upwards and sat comfortably on her shoulder, attending its fluffy tail. Following its directions, she moved south further down with a panicked animal near her ear crying and wanting to turn back.

"Be strong little one, I ask only for guidance and guarantee your safety. Can you do that for me?"

A hesitant squeak later, and the dryad saw something further ahead, something bright and... orange. This isn't... this doesn't belong here. It's unnatural, unlike anything she had seen before. There, meters ahead of her rested several vines, twitching and pulsating a sick orange color, glowing it seemed, and growing.

"By the gods, when did this happen? How long was I asleep?"

She backed away, the squirrel seemingly shivering on the palm of her hand.

"This is wrong, this sickness... it is unheard of."

So frightened the Dryad appeared, as the surroundings of these vines showed symptoms of an infection invading its environment. The trees were growing limp, losing its leaves as its orange fluids seeped from its bark. Nearby plants and bushes began to decay after shivering, almost as if given a jump in movement before slipping away to rot. To connect with this... this blight, what effect would it have on her?

She dared not to find out.

"Go now, tell the other creatures to flee on sight from this blight. Tell all who can listen, and move to safer settings."

The squirrel scurried away, running on tiny feet for its life. Sans turned back and faced this new plague invading her forest. Where did this blight come from, where are its origins? Most importantly, how far has this blight spread?

"I fear the thought if this were to infect outer life, what would come of it? Not only does this present a danger to plant life, but to all life it comes across. I cannot wait for my beloved when the world is under threat. The time for rest, for anonymity is over. I must act now to save all, the monsters and the people. I must act now."

She burrowed her eyes, her fists clenching at the realization of what she proposed to do. To come out would be to expose to the world that Dryads do still live. Her own safety didn't matter now, this was beyond personal conflicts.

"I must act now, may the gods ever be in our favor."

Meanwhile...

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)