More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by sumedokin sumedokin

What's inside the box?

Music.

Ding-ding Ding, dingdong-ding~

Harry flinched when greeted by the cheerful yet somehow solemn melody played what sounded like brass bells the moment the lid slipped open. Of all the things he thought might conceivably be contained in an old box, never had it occured to him an orchestra would be found there, ready to play the very instance daylight would greet them once more.

Of course the box contained no orchestra, nor anything that would be recognizable as a musical instrument. What Harry found there was a series of interconnected metal parts such as cogs and gears. The two most prominent parts were a wound up metal cylinder with round protrusions appearing along its lengths and circumference; and what looked like a long fork; its various prongs reaching up to the cylinder. The cylinder was spinning, evidently had been since the moment Harry had opened the box, and as it did the various protrusions struck against the prongs, creating the chiming of bells which constituted the melody.

The song was actually sort of neat. Harry could see himself using this as his ring signal. Obviously not at that moment, he too much enjoyed Ben E King bellowing Stand By Me whenever someone tried to reach him, but definitely it would make it on his list.

Harry closed the box and pushed it to the bottom of his bag. He was definitely showing this to his roommate when he got back home.

At this time of day the subway was crammed packed with people. He had to almost swim through the crowd in order to get to the train, and since it was leaving at any moment it was a matter of desperation. The next train would come in thirty minutes, and then he would have to switch to a train that wouldn't come for another fifteen minutes if he missed this one, so he had no intention of missing this train no matter how many people he had to mow over.
He dove into the cart just as the doors were about to close and sighed in relief. As it happened this cart was also spacious for this time of day.
To his disturbance he realized why; all of the passengers happened to be women, each aged between 18 and 40. In his desperation he had inadvertently entered the women only cart!
By this time the train had already begun moving. It was too late now.
All Harry could do was lay low and hope the ladies won't mind his intrusion. He was just going to stay there for two stations, then get off and never speak about this to anyone. He was just going to keep to himself, stay out of trouble and if anyone notice him he'll just act confused and excuse himself.

Come to think of it, why did his grandparents see fit to lock up a music box?

Ding-ding Ding, dingdong-ding~

Harry froze up as all eyes fell on him and the music coming from his backpack. Had... had the box opened on its own somehow? He couldn't imagine how, it was at the bottom of his backpack, but now he was greeted by the stares of the women around him, locking on to the only male in the cart. All Harry could do was smile nervously...

What does Harry do?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)