More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Zingiber Zingiber

Academies (stories start here!), How To Play, Making a Character, Making an Academy

Making a Character

If you want to start a new storyline for a character in a particular academy, you'll need to follow the specific rules for that academy as far as the details are concerned. But all characters have the same basic building blocks.

  • A name, physical description, personality, background, fears and ambitions.
  • How they came to the Academy.
  • Traits or Attributes representing the character's strong or weak points. If your academy's rules have four Traits/Attributes, distribute the scores +2, +1, 0, -1 across your attributes. If your academy's rules have five, distribute the scores +2, +1, +1, 0, -1.
  • Most academies put each student in an Academic House which tends to favor one Trait/Attribute and is a rival with others. A House may grant special powers, knowledges, or actions.
  • Choose two special skills, knowledges, magical powers or abilities particular to that character from a list in the Academy Rules, or add +1 to a Trait/Attribute (max +3) as a choice. Starting with a FRIEND plus a FAVOR in Boarbristle counts as a single choice.

I'll use a Boarbristle character for the specific example.

  • Drusilla Pimpernel, a plain-faced and ordinary looking young woman often found with her nose in a novel. Never suspecting her talent, she is wide-eyed and confused as she learns the ways of the wizarding world. She wants to develop her talents so she can become the heroine of her own romance, while fearing the scorn of those born and raised to wizardry.
  • Boarbristle's recruiters noticed Drusilla's latent talent for witchcraft when she projected strong emotions while reading a bodice-ripping romance, leading to a multi-person makeout and masturbation scene in her college library. When they found the cause, they played on her dreams and made her an offer she jumped to accept.
  • Drusilla's basic Traits are Ambition 0, Bravery -1, Cunning +2, Diligence +1. Her strong point is cleverness, perception and imagination; her weak point is courage and physicality. She's weak in her House Trait of Ambition, so she will struggle.
  • Drusilla is in House Draconis, though her low Ambition makes her the butt of teasing from her fellow House members, and she is thinking of begging for a transfer. Drusilla's House grants the Sex Move of Sexual Healing: When you have sex with someone, on a success (7-10), remove a CONSEQUENCE or make them not your ENEMY. Drusilla may make good use of this, particularly to remove CONSEQUENCES of low Ambition rolls.
  • Choosing two specials: Drusilla adds +1 to Bravery to reflect her courage at accepting the opportunity to join Boarbristle, and decides that she has a FRIEND who is another wild talent found in a similar way. Her friend's name is Tim Cratchit, from House Beavertail, and he feels just as bewildered as Drusilla.

Drusilla Pimpernel

Boarbristle Academy of Witchcraft and Wizardry

  • House Draconis, House Trait: Ambition, House Sex Move: Sexual Healing
  • Traits: Ambition 0, Bravery 0, Cunning +2, Diligence +1
  • Starting Choices: +1 Bravery (from -1 to 0), Friend.
  • Friend: Tim Cratchit, House Beavertail, another mundane with a wild talent.
  • Favors: One from Tim Cratchit.
  • Consequence: none.
  • XP: 0

You could add the statistics for Drusilla's friend Tim -- maybe you want to follow his point of view later on.

Tim Cratchit

Boarbristle Academy of Witchcraft and Wizardry

  • House Beavertail, House Trait: Diligence, House Sex Move: Stamina (free go-again on 7+)
  • Traits: Ambition +1, Bravery -1, Cunning 0, Diligence +2
  • Starting Choices: Friend, Extra Spell.
  • Friend: Drusilla Pimpernel, House Draconis, another mundane with a wild talent.
  • Extra Spells Known: LUST (Forbidden Spell).
  • Favors: One from Drusilla Pimpernel.
  • Consequence: none.
  • XP: 0

Tim was a grind at a lower-division state school when Boarbristle's recruiters detected his talents as part of a secret testing program. Wide-eyed and amazed at discovering his hidden power, he wants to have sex with as many other students as possible without getting in trouble or getting bad marks. He's dismayed that at Boarbristle, he's nothing special, though his diligence makes him a good match for House Beavertail, and he's happy to have a friend who came from the mundane world so he doesn't feel so alone.

More on Making a Character?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)