More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by SotF SotF

What kind of mind control is it

Magical Music that scales with power.

Across the multiverse the power of music is a constant. In particular magic and music often are linked in some way. Elves, ghosts, sirens, mermaids, aliens, gods, demons, dragons, and even humans have all learned to channel the esoteric powers this way. And our hero is one such person.

Unsurprisingly our hero has tapped into this magic as a form of mind manipulation and control. When they play music the listener is programmed subconsciously to obey them. The music causes their disposition to become increasingly friendly. As well they will become increasingly devoted to, attracted to, and dependent on the player. And of course, they will grow ever more obedient. Of course, over time the listener may try to subconsciously shake their programming, but like a song stuck in your head, the programming will never quite leave them. And they may be compelled to seek out the music again as this happens, provided they are strongly under its sway. However, at certain points the control becomes solidified. Almost like a sort of checkpoint. Eventually, the control becomes absolute, permanent, and irreversible.

This music bypasses almost any conceivable form of mental protection whether supernatural or otherwise. Only an individual with a deep and all-encompassing hatred of music could ever hope to resist its power. Additionally, a magical examination of it or its effect shows it as benign or possibly benevolent, not even appearing as a form of mind control at all. Though an exceptionally powerful and wise magic-user may see through this. And there is a reason for that as this power does subtly boost the power of whoever it ensorcells.

But of course, all powers have limits. Firstly the music must be heard live. While amplifiers and electronic instruments will still work, but recordings prove to be nothing more than that. Just recordings of music with no special powers. And while anyone who hears the music will be influenced, the more they like the music the easier it is to fall under their sway. So better musicians will be able to make far more use of this power. And of course, a musician who can play multiple instruments in different genres could prove more effective still.

The biggest limit to this power is the way it scales with the power of those it affects. Physical, mental, political, financial, spiritual, and supernatural power all leave the listener more to the influence of the music. So an average person may find themselves unusually captivated, but they will never be heavily swayed by, empowered by, or controlled by the music. In fact, the effect is hardly noticeable from that of good, non-magical music. But superheroes and supervillains, who hold the power of life and over so many in this world and beyond are uniquely . And the upper tier members of these groups will fall farther and faster than any.

But there are two more elements to this power that are perhaps the most important. Firstly it is not necessarily a consciously used one. In fact, its wielder may not know they possess it at all. And secondly, as it is used it may become stronger or perhaps evolve new effects and abilities.

It is an awesome power. One that may radically reshape the world. So now there is one question to answer.

Who has this power?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)