More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by TheSpectator TheSpectator

Who are you going to be?

MORE INFOMATION

When I first presented the idea of “Bombs Plus Beauties,” I was, at the time, helping a close friend edit/study for another story. This story required a lot of research and digging into “what-if” scenarios… in more ways than one, I felt like I would be doing a great dishonor to those that had fallen during these wars if I didn’t at least mention the events, the battlefronts and at the home front.

…War is in our history, and it’s bloody. It’s far more brutal than what most people perceive. I was honestly amazed at how watered-down history is in today’s world, and this is coming from someone (me) who is in love with the subject…it’s what has defined us as a civilization today!

I approached this subject more näive than I thought, and as I dove deeper into the first-hand accounts, I found myself morbidly curious about every person on every side…

People like numbers, and war is all about numbers. But when you give certain numbers a name, an age, a face— in other words, a life– history becomes intimate. It becomes personal. It melds into the shape of someone you might be able to relate to. Someone you might have been friends with or someone you could have easily loved if the circumstances allowed it.

I picked up several books when I chose to work on my story. Suppose you’ve followed any of my past projects. In that case, you’re familiar with my desire to make these stories realistic, so that’s why I bought:

Main sources of inspiration/interest:

  • With the Old Breed
  • All Quiet on the Western Front (fiction)
  • The Forgotten Soldier
  • Storm of Steel
  • A Time to Love and a Time to Die (fiction)
  • The Liberator
  • The Black Obelisk (fiction)

And some honorable mentions:

  • The Great War (Youtube channel.)
  • World War Two (Youtube channel.)
  • Dan Carlin’s “Blueprint for Armageddon” FULL series.
  • Dan Carlin’s “Wrath of the Khans” FULL series.
  • Dan Carlin's "Supernova in the East" FULL series.
  • Dan Carlin's "Ghosts of The Ostfront" FULL series.
  • Dan Carlin's "Logical Insanity" BLITZ.
  • Revisionist History's "May the Best Firebomb Win" FULL series.

Ways to communicate with me:

  • Gmail (the quickest/easiest to reach out to me): [email protected]
  • Kik (not me personally, just someone who helps a lot.): The Spectator / TinyxTavern.
  • Discord server here
  • Twitter here (kind of inactive.)

I’ve used these influences here as guidelines. Erich Maria Remarque had an especially influential writing style that I often try to incorporate into what I make— a dark picture with a bittersweet taste and a bright, almost optimistic mood. Again, if you read some of my everyday work, then you can see where I also try to describe interactions and landscapes the same way, but I digress.

You are obviously free to use everything above as guidelines too, but I implore you to add realism to your stories as well. The stories/characters are fictional, but the events of the real brutal history should be kept true…

…This project will remain open to cover every side of every modern war starting from 1900 to 2000. Go wild on creating content… but remember where we create fiction; something painful happened somewhere between…

“Until the millennium arrives and countries cease trying to enslave others, it will be necessary to accept one’s responsibilities and to be willing to make sacrifices for one’s country—as my comrades did. As the troops used to say, “If the country is good enough to live in, it’s good enough to fight for.” With privilege goes responsibility.” - Eugene “Sledge.”

“I wouldn’t see him again for two years—two years so full of experience they might as well have been a century.” - Guy Sajer.

“We are forlorn like children, and experienced like old men, we are crude and sorrowful and superficial—I believe we are lost.” - Paul Bäumer

"We are. And we think, just like that dog, we are still good. And just like him, we are looking for a bit of warmth and light and friendship.” - Ernst Graeber.

“Throughout the war, it was always my endeavor to view my opponent without animus, and to form an opinion of him as a man on the basis of the courage he showed. I would always try and seek him out in combat and kill him, and I expected nothing else from him. But never did I entertain mean thoughts of him. When prisoners fell into my hands, later on, I felt responsible for their safety, and would always do everything in my power for them.” — Ernst Jünger

“Indeed, good leaders were often good actors, able to convince their men if not themselves that they would somehow prevail.” — Alex Kershaw.

“Mirrors don’t steal, they just reflect.” — Ludwig Bodmer.

GO BACK

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)