More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by amanhasnoname430 amanhasnoname430

What's next?

John Johnson

I stood at the mirror and watched my glowing blue eyes staring back at me. Apparently these weren't normal but I hadn't seen many other pairs of eyes so I didn't know. I took some water from the sink and washed my face. The voice in my head was finally gone. That was a big info dump but I knew it was true. I also had a silent prayer that I would hear good news today.

It was my 18th birthday and I had been living, for the most part, in this small tiled room underneath the Nevada Desert for my entire life. I went outside everyday for about 25 minutes but that was it. I was being kept here for observation and medical experiments. My 'parents' were doctors, scientists, government workers, and military. What a fun bunch.

Dolores walked through my door with a smile. "They agreed!" She said excitedly. She was a 60 year old lady and probably the person I trusted most. Though, that wasn't saying much. She had really gone to bat to let me leave on my 18th birthday. Especially to forgo any kind of surveillance upon my release.

The military was very resistant to the idea but I hadn't shown any special abilities or dangerous characteristics in my 18 years on this planet so eventually they agreed. I would NOT be telling them about the words I heard last night.

"They did? I can leave?" I asked matching her excitement.

"You can leave. You'll be given $1500 and taken to the bus stop in Amargosa Valley. After that you are completely on your own." She said that both as a good thing and a bad thing. "Are you feeling nervous?" She asked putting her hand on my shoulder. I felt a small static spark and she withdrew her hand with a smile. I wondered about my new power.

"No, I am so excited. I want to see the world." I said smiling. "Are you nervous for me?" I asked. We had a good relationship, I think.

"The world is tough. There are going to be many things you get wrong but I want you to know I'm rooting for you." She said smiling. "You understand that you won't be able to come back here. You won't be able to find any of us again." She said sadly.

"I know. But I figure if you miss me enough, you know where to find me." I said grinning. She just nodded and then lead me outside. Waiting for us was Doug in his pickup truck. Doug was a high ranking military vet who worked at the facility. He was like a big brother or dad, he taught me how to shoot guns, how to treat girls, and how to avoid trouble.

"So, stepping out into the world huh? You excited?" He asked in his southern accent. I think he was from Texas.

"Yep. Let's go." I said jumping in the bed of the truck like I always did. He would give me drives around the base when I got bored. He even taught me how to drive once, the general was pissed!

"Sit up front, I wanna talk to you as we get out there." He said. I got in the front and he got in with me. We started driving and I could smell the whiskey on his breath.

"So, the bus I'm taking you to goes to Reno and then Boise in one direction, and Vegas and Phoenix in the other. This $1500 is nothing. It could be gone in 20 minutes if you're not careful and I'm NOT giving you more. You get me?" He asked. He wasn't being a dick he was being cautionary. I nodded. "Now what might a good investment be for this money?" He quizzed me.

"First and last months rent at an apartment and using the rest to find a job?" I asked.

"That is your best bet. Wise choices like that will serve you well. Also remember where you came from. You are used to living in a small room. If you save money on your apartment you can do more with it. Plus, you can go outside whenever you want now, you don't need somewhere big. That's just my suggestion." He added.

"Does Vegas have cheap places?" I asked.

"Every where's got cheap places, but you want to stay out of danger too. So do a bit of scouting around first, don't just settle. Walking around is free." He said. Finally we were at the bus stop and I got out. I didn't have a bag or anything but he handed me a wallet with some cash in it. "There ya go. The wallet is a gift from me. Remember your ol' pal Doug when you get successful would ya? You can buy ME a beer for once." He chuckled as he got back in his truck. He waved and drove off.

I got on the bus and paid the $15 to get to the center of Las Vegas. It wasn't far away but it was further than I had ever gone. I was looking out the window when I heard a small female voice behind me. "Mind if I sit here?" She asked.

The girl was gorgeous. She had really short shorts on that showed off her sexy smooth legs and she had a little buttoned top that was only buttoned once under her big breasts. She had dirty blonde hair and big pouty lips. She looked like she could be a hooker or a stripper or something.

"No not at all." I said nervously. I scooted over closer to the window and she sat down next to me. She smelled like sweat and lotion.

"You goin to town? I've never seen you on this bus before." She chirped, chewing gum as she spoke.

"I've never been, I just turned 18 and I was given money and thrown on this bus." I said. I wasn't sure how that sounded.

"Kicked out, huh? My parents did that to me too. How much you got?" She asked leaning over to me.

"Like $1,500. I need to find a place to rent, and a job." I said to her.

"Hmm. I might be able to help out with that. You're kinda cute. Do you think I'm cute?" She asked, brushing her hand on my cheek. A spark lit up her fingers and she jumped and giggled. "Sparks flying already! Do you think it was destiny that brought us together?" She asked grinning. Her hands moved to my arm and resting them there.

"I don't know about any of that. It is nice to travel with someone though. You think you can help me find a job?" I asked smiling.

"Answer my question first. Do you think I'm cute?" She asked moving in closer to my face.

"Yeah, of course. Who wouldn't?" I said blushing. "Why does that matter though?"

"Because if you wanna work with me you gotta like cute girls. I think you could cut it. Hell, if you keep being this charming you might find a place to live for free." She said grinning at me and leaning in further. I turned to her to see if she was going to kiss me but she pulled back and just rested her hand on my leg. I wasn't sure I trusted this girl.

It took us about an hour and a half before the lights from Las Vegas were visible. This place was huge! Bigger than anything I could think of. I had seen pictures of cities all over the world and I knew that this one was fairly small in comparison, but being there was a different story. The girl next to me was getting off a stop before mine. She invited me to see where she worked. I wasn't sure I wanted to but something was better than nothing.

As we walked, her hand held mine. "It's very sweet of you to walk me to work. Charming guy like you could go very far in this city." She said with a twinkle in her eye.

"What's your name? I totally forgot to ask, I'm John." I said quickly.

"Daisy. You really are a polite young man. Here we are!" She said and confirmed my suspicions.

Kittenz was the name of the seedy looking club I was now walking into. I tried to resist but Daisy lead me by the hand. "Oh don't be so scared. It's nice inside." She said pulling me in.

It wasn't nice inside. It was dark with blaring music and the smell of cigarette smoke was visible. There were many girls dancing here and calling Daisy the best one was NOT saying much. Most of the girls looked like they were in their 40s and their skin was worn down by the Nevada sun. A guy at the bar put his hand up to me.

"Woah, I'm gonna need to see an ID there my friend." He said to me condescendingly. I was about to answer but Daisy rushed through.

"He's looking for a place to live, Alberto. Don't you have open units?" She asked. The guy sighed and looked at me sideways.

"Another one of your strays?" He finished cleaning a glass and then motioned for me to follow. "Come on." I followed behind him.

We walked behind the club to a small row of doors. They were all one story and very VERY small. He opened number 3 and showed me in. It was basically one room with a kitchenette. He stopped me and looked sternly.

"I don't know who you are. If you came in with Daisy you're probably a bum. I don't play fuckin games alright? Rent is $300 a month I need 3 months right now. You got it on you?" He asked roughly. I looked at him and tried to size him up but I admitted to it.

"Yeah, I got $900." I said slowly. I was kinda wandering into this situation. I knew the room would be fine enough. This place was central in the city and I could probably walk to just about anywhere around to find work. I could always get a better place once I made some more money.

"Alright. I don't fuck around with the rent okay? You don't pay, you end up in the desert. I gotta cousin who can get rid of you. You hear me?" He was serious. I decided to meet his intensity but with friendly intent.

"I won't fuck around with the rent." I said smiling. I had the money in one hand and my other hand held out to shake his. He looked down, took the money and then shook my hand and got a nice shock.

"Shit. It's dry out today. Okay, here's the key. Trash is over there and the bathrooms are here behind the club. Don't come in the club for any reason. I don't wanna get shut down, you can walk around the club down that street there. You got a car?"

"Nope." I said.

"Okay, well parking is back around there." He pointed to the side of the apartments. "In case you get a car. That's the tour, I gotta get back to work." Alberto grunted and walked back into the club.

I closed the door to my apartment and locked it as I looked around at the tall buildings. I was going for a walk.

(Author here: I set up a subscribestar page. There's nothing going on there at the moment and it's purely for support right now, though I will definitely be flushing it out more as the weeks go on. Here's the link: https://subscribestar.adult/azylum if you want to donate. If not, no worries. I'm still gonna post here regardless. Thanks! Shameless plug over.)

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)