More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Shandy Shandy

Who do you follow?

Janet Lynn. 28-year-old reporter

"There is definitely something strange about this place," Ben Simons said, leaning back in his chair. "Saul has been looking into it for weeks, and we've got a lot of hints, but we have nothing concrete. Nothing we can run with." The editor of one of the most prestigious newspapers in the country, Simons was a lean, fit man well into his fifties.

Saul Gershman nodded agreement. "I've interviewed dozens of people who I know were guests at Freedonia, but none of the men say anything more than it's an all inclusive luxury resort with the usual amenities. Golf, tennis, all that kind of stuff. The women are a lot more vague. I mean they say the same things, but when I pushed for details they seemed to have trouble remembering specifics."

"Nothing that really backs up what that girl claimed," Simons added. "The one who was rescued by the coast guard on a small boat. She says it's some kind of paradise, where women get used by men as they want. No one in authority paid attention to her, but there is something about her story that makes me want to dig further. That's why I want you to go there and poke around." He looked directly at Janet.

Janet frowned and nodded slowly, brushing a stray strand of black hair out of her face. "So you think there may be something to the story, and you're sending me into a possible paradise? Gee thanks chief."

Simons smiled. "It probably isn't all that. I think its probably some kind of resort for rich people where they can cut loose without anyone seeing. But the girl mentioned some pretty important names. Men high up in business and government. There could be a story there. The place is on an island, leased from another country and doesn't fall under U.S. jurisdiction. From what Saul has found out, the place operates pretty much independently, almost like its own country."

"They're not going to welcome a reporter," Janet said.

"No they're not. That's why you're going as a guest. I'm authorizing a weeks stay there. That should be enough time for you to figure out what's going on, if anything is. You don't have a national byline, so they probably haven't heard of you. You can be one of the heiresses to a rich family."

Janet nodded thoughtfully. "And what if is what the girl claimed? That could make it pretty dangerous."

"It could. You'll have your cell to call, and I'll arrange a boat to be standing by a few miles offshore. If worst comes to worst they can pull you out of there. Take some pepper spray if you want to." He paused, looking at her. "This could be big Janet. High government officials, some foreign military, and government people all partying at the same place. It could be just a resort but it could be much more. What do you say? Will you do it?"

What does Janet say?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)