More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by ThomasCallahan ThomasCallahan

What's next?

Introduction: Page 3

The walk back to my home was long, and by the time I arrived home, it was morning. I marched into the house, ignoring the sarcastic comments from my brother. I walked through the house, probably tracking mud everywhere, but I couldn't bring myself to care. I shoved my door open and locked it behind me, then I promptly passed the fuck out. I had just spent the night walking through the woods, what do you expect? I didn't even bother to remove my shoes or anything, just tossing myself onto my bed and letting myself drift into the calm seas of sleep.

It wasn't until almost noon that I woke up. I stumbled into my bathroom, brushing my teeth and showering. Upon leaving my room to get something to eat, I encountered my father in the hallway.

"Lucas, thank heavens you're home. Listen, last night, I should have mentioned you, I'm so sorry-"

"Dad, chill, it's fine. After all, Vic did just become one of Tormani's apprentices. That's a pretty impressive feat."

Not necessarily a lie, but not exactly the truth either. Frankly, I didn't want to deal with this conversation. My father chuckled.

"That it is. But still, just know, I don't love you any less because of how you were born. If sh- if your mother could see you, she'd be proud, I know that."

I could see him blink years out of his eyes. For as untouchable and all-powerful as he seemed, he had one vulnerability. My mother. The legendary Veronica Valentine. Killed, not by a dragon, or a lich, or some other dangerous monster, but in giving birth to my sister and me. Despite never even knowing her, she was this looming presence in my life. A figure I could never meet, could never really understand. Yet, her absence was as omnipresent in my life as the absence of magic was. Or had been, I suppose.

I sighed, mumbled something about being tired. In truth, I felt more awake than I ever had. I strolled into the kitchen and made myself just about the only meal I knew how to, cereal. Bowl in hand, I walked towards my room. Except I didn't go directly into mine.

Across the hallway from mine was Damian's room. And in Damian's room was a book, full of spells and potions and rituals, all written by Markus Tormani himself. I doubt Damian had opened it since he had graduated as Tormani's apprentice. He probably wouldn't even notice if it went missing.

A plan formed in my mind. The scandal of a Valentine becoming a warlock would probably ruin my life, and my family's. But you didn't need an ID to enter the Apprentice Trials. Thank the gods for stuffy old guys who actually cared about the "tradition" of the trials. They didn't end for another week. If I gave them a fake name, it might work...

Like an idiot, Damian left his door unlocked. I slipped in, quietly, hoping that he wouldn't eat his lunch too quickly. I set the bowl on his nightstand as I scoured the room, looking through drawers and under blankets. I couldn't find it.

I sat down on the floor for just a moment. I felt like I had turned that room inside out. Where could it be? Hopping to my feet, I resolved to keep looking. Only, as I stood, I saw a metallic glint beneath the dresser. Reaching underneath, I slid a heavy leather-bound book out from under it. It had a thick layer of dust over it, but I could read the words embossed onto the leather.

The Tormani Guide to Magic

I slipped out and, after grabbing my bowl of cereal, quickly locked myself in my room. It wouldn't stop anyone from teleporting in, but it would at least stop anyone from opening the door. I set the book on my desk, brushing dust from its surface.

Gingerly, as if I might break it, I opened it and looked through it until I found what I was looking for. On the second half of page 22 was the spell Silent Image.

I read through the description; my eyes eagerly consuming every word.

Silent Image

I said the words in my mind and could feel that warmth in my chest. I focused, closing my eyes and touching the book.

"Silent Image."

I opened my eyes and looked hesitantly at the book, which now looked like an ordinary textbook. I was just about to celebrate my success when I heard someone behind me speak.

"You don't need to say the words."

I nearly jumped out of my skin. Spinning around, I caught Victoria standing behind me, gray eyes boring into me with frightening intensity. If a look could kill, I'd have died then and there.

"What the fuck are you doing in here?!"

Her nostrils flared.

"I was just making sure you didn't get sick from spending all night in the woods like an idiot. But it seems you picked something else up in the woods."

Wow, less than an hour into being home, and I'd already been busted. I threw my hands up in mock surrender.

"Yes, ok fine. Last night, I made a deal with a devil, and now I can do magic."

Her jaw dropped and she gaped at me. When she realized I wasn't joking, her expression turned to horror.

"Lucas, what have you done? I thought you found some magic talisman! I was gonna scold you about the dangers of that stuff, and have you give Dad the freaking talisman! But this?! You made a deal with a devil?! WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME SOMEONE MADE A DEAL WITH A DEVIL AND DIDN'T REGRET IT?! Evil is literally what they do."

At that point, I was having none of this.

"Well, I don't give a damn! I've spent my entire life hopelessly powerless. The Valentine who couldn't do magic. But not anymore. Now I have the power I've envied you all for having."

"You fucking ass! None of us ever thought less of you for that. I never cared that you weren't magical because you're my god damn family!"

"Maybe you didn't, but everyone else did. You don't notice every one of Damian's crude remarks, every one of Dad's disappointed looks, Helen's patronizing tone, the way people glare at me whenever someone mentions Mom dying! Gods, you all went to Bronsworth while I was tutored here because I couldn't do magic."

The look of guilt on her face had grown throughout my rant. She sat down on my bed and looked up at me, eyes misty.

"Dad said you stayed here because you didn't like the teachers at Bronswick. I don't understand, there were non-magic students there."

"Yeah, Dad says a lot of things. Talking is kinda his thing. I think he just didn't want people to realize that one of his kids was a loser devoid of magic."

"I'm so sorry, Lucas. I never noticed."

I just sat next to her, throwing an arm around her. When I felt her torso start spasming, I thought she was crying. She wasn't.

She was laughing. I looked at her incredulously.

"Hey, stop that, what's so funny?!"

Through a fit of laughter, she managed to cough out a sentence.

"You probably sucked a devil's cock. That's hilarious."

I playfully punched her in the shoulder.

"You wish! Unfortunately for your fantasies, my patron is 100% lady."

"Eh, you're a killjoy. Besides, who knows, maybe you'd like dicks."

"Hilarious."

Once her laughter died away, she looked at me, seriously.

"Be careful, Lucas. Devils are clever, and whoever she is, she doesn't have your best interests in mind."

I nodded. Sure, she was a devil, and Victoria was much more well versed in these matters, but she hadn't met Samara. I couldn't imagine Samara was screwing me over. But I elected to change the subject rather than argue with her.

"Hey, what did you mean when you said that I don't have to say the words?"

"Oh, the name. You don't have to say it, just think the words."

"Oh, ok, that makes sense."

She stood up and looked back down at me.

"I have to go soon, Tormani wants all of his students in class as soon as they are announced, so I leave the day after tomorrow."

"Yeah, you should probably finish packing. I'll talk to you later."

With a nod, she teleported out, leaving me alone. I got to work.

I flipped through the pages, dog-earing the useful spells, skimming over the less useful ones. There were so many to pick from, it was daunting.

I also stopped by the kitchen, and brought an entire pot of coffee into my room, along with a concerning amount of junk food.

I had a few days to learn everything most mages would learn in 2 decades of schooling. Should be super easy, barely an inconvenience.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)