More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by ntaylor ntaylor

What path Alexandra should follow ?

Helping Oracle

The night is young, for those that don't sleep, like me. I move, no one knows. Father started to be called blur, before he dressed in blue and red. It was all what the others could see, a blur that prevented crimes.

Example Image

Damian told me to be a shadow. Invisible, no one needs to see me. No need to flash off my family crest on my chest, or a bat, a lightning or even use a kevlar uniform. There are no actions figures or costumes of me. I do not exist.

A banana peel on the floor makes a young thieve considering his life options again, while his easy target runs away pretending to be scared. Her name is Montoya, and she is working, A perfect bait, for the new crazy man in town. There is always a new crazy in this town. And she knows it, they all do. That's why they are still working for the city police, facing crazy people. The Bat is a human. And this new Bat is the first Robin. It was easy for them to see it. Tim could see it when he was a kid ... how can trained detectives not see it ? _Katana and Bane did the same. Body language and fighting skills shows all. And even without super powers, Gotham finest are professionals.

At first she couldn't believe it. There is a legend that Bruce is immortal, a vampire that hunts in the night. But after watching him getting shot, stabbed and bleed so many times, she understood that there is human skin under the dark armour. Getting alive after a shot, even wearing a bullet proof vest, depends on the caliber of the slug. And the thugs are getting heavier slugs each day. So she and the others made a secret vow, to keep Him and the others safe. Even when hunting them, or when they open fire, they keep the vow always and miss the target. That is why the bats stay alive and free. They don't have any powers, and are too exposed. The capes, like they are called, are illegal, but the masks can't hide DNA. A single drop off blood and they are unmasked.

And they bleed so much ... all over the town. Stupid capes, can't see the obvious and act like they have secret identities ... doing police work for free, and risking the lives every single night. Not even the public likes them. The other cities praise their heroes, Gotham chase them.

They kept the vow secret, and only revealed it before they know that Bruce is going to die. There was no surprise for Him. He knew it and handshake them before he leaped to his . Damian was there also, this was one of the reasons he accept me. He was scared after watching what I can do ... without training. Humans are so fragile.

Montoya waits a few minutes before returning to her hunting stroll. With her training she could be one of us ... them. I am not like them, I can't wear a cape or the cowl. The last Robin can't become Batman, Zee told me the prophecy shattering my dream. This is one of the reasons I am here ... I want to wear it ... one day. Soon I will meet them, the First and the Last Batman will try to stop me, they would fail. Nothing can stop me ... except this cheap toy that I carry.

Someone is moving, Montoya is being chased. The trap is set, the undercover agents steps out of the shadows. One less crazy on this streets. My presence here is useless. I look around, and I see her. Father never did it. With Telescopic vision and x-rays, this cardboard city doesn't have walls. There is no need to patrol, but Father liked to show himself to the others, waiting for the time they will join him in the sun. I move and see Barbara combing her hair in the guest room of the Manor.

I move, come out of the bathroom and seat on the bed, she looks surprised at me. " The best security services on this planet ... created by Him ... is nothing for you ? Hahaha. He has a joke, if someone can enter this mansion without His permission, He deserved to be robbed. They are downstairs, I am going to join them in a minute. Would you like to join us ? "

For a moment I consider the idea, but stay still. " I see, well I was expecting you. Here. " She hands me over two small buttons, before she explains the x-rays tell me all. " This one is a radio, for you to hear me. And this one is a camera, so that I can see what is happening. None of them are trackers. " She smiles to me " But someone with your training knows that they are trackers. Noise or light reflections give clues, you know how it is. "

I grab the buttons, put them on my robe, and turn my head towards the newspaper. She says in an angry voice. " We can't reach him, he escaped to a country without extradition and ... are you serious ? Can you do it ? " I remain still. She is not Cassandra, but she already knows how to read me. " Give me a minute. " She grabs her laptop and hacks international security servers. Her code is still raw, but works like a laser cutting butter. I memorise the way she jumps all firewalls of the airport security cameras, until they are shown on her screen. Slow, ineffective, human brain. In less than a second I create a better way to do it faster.

" That person booked a private jet to come back from Asia, and I bet my cape that it was a shopping trip. More kids purchased for ..." She didn't finish her sentence, and I move. I got this bad habit from Damian, he got it from his father.

" The camera is working perfectly ... " I hear her voice, the button is working. " To the other side of the world in the blink of an eye. Your speed still amazes me. I can see it ... wait ... Do not engage. The others ... they are also wanted. We can cut the head off the snake. Is this a personal vendetta or can you collect evidences ? " I don't say nothing. My mouth and eyes are closed. All my body exits are sealed by my muscles, and I chose to remain that way. I move, faster than the camera can capture. The van with the kids moves a little, before both front tires are ripped. A few pieces of a beer bottle are enough to make them complain about the street cleaning protocols, and not blame the driver. " Your style is ... unique, follow them. I will delay the airplane due to a bomb threat, and call back again after helping the boys, ok ? "

They are angry, the airport is closed. I follow them and listen. All the news talk about the bomb threat. The police and the security services are praised to uncover another terrorist operation that they were following for months. It's obvious that she is calling a big favour. While I wait I grab a few things. I don't like clothes, but they are necessary ... for now. Gloves, pants, a scarf on my face, and a coat above my robe ... so many layers to hide ... clothes are useless, humans are strange.

Example Image

After a minute I hear her voice again. " I'm back and ... An hotel ? Nice place to hide rats. I bet that the kids are on the basement and the auction is going to start. That's why they are there ... last minute shopping, before the airport opens again. The private jets use diplomatic immunity to not being searched. Can you check if my guess is correct ? " She finishes her sentence and I see movement in the alley that surrounds the luxury hotel.

" Don't worry. They are friends. Closing the airport was hard, but we are going to capture the people that buy and sell kids ... We need to deliver the package ... " I look again to the hotel and move. " Like expected, after seeing your skill entering and leaving the Manor, I hoped that the security of this basement would be nothing for you. Let me see who we have here ... facial recognition. Perfect ... no ... better than perfect. Don't say nothing, I am going to speak with our friends ... Ok, that's useless, you are the silent type and this frequency is coded. " I stay still and they start to talk. Her voice is now passing a filter and sounds like a robot. The true voice of the Oracle.

" Captain, Oracle here, I am sending a file, open it, please. "

" Ok ... I had to pull some strings and I trust you, but it's better be worth it ... What ? Are those children in cages ? ... Is that ... and the one next to is .... Bastards. This is way over this small country capacity and ... "

" Correct, in one hour the media will be all over you. Wait for my signal. In the file there is also a contact number, use it and send them the file. Enjoy the fishing together, they would take the credit. "

" Oracle ... if this number is what I think it is ... Thank you. If you need anything, call me. "

" Thank you Captain, I will. " She ends the call and turns of the filter. " Pawns are set, please move to your right. I need a better image of the guy with the white hat. " I move, still in the shadows. " That angle ... did you put my camera in front of their table ? Hahahaha, working with you is fantastic. Please remain ... you know. "

" Director, I am Oracle. What you are receiving now is a live feed. Confirm with your agents."

Example Image

" Confirmed, I'm not going to ask how you enter my servers, but I would be happy if you could deliver us the coordinates. "

" Correct. Contact your embassy and get a team there in 5 minutes. This are the coordinates. Local agents are already there, and the Captain will call you soon with clues about this. This is your operation and you will allow them to assist you. You take all the credit, and give them a handshake. "

" Oracle ... you are not new in the game. You plan is perfect, but what would you do if we refuse ? "

" You won't. But let me remind you, this is a live feed and I can collect the bounty. "

" You are a hard cookie to chew ... good ... and by handshake you mean ... "

" The usual. A public handshake between the Ambassador and the Captain of the police, the photo of tomorrow's first page on the national paper. The public needs to know that this kind of rats can't hide anymore from the police. And the police needs to know that they have protection, 24 hours for the Captain house. You are going to capture the head of the snake, they will retaliate trying to take the Captain's daughter, and you would be expecting them. "

" Captain's daughter ? Done. My team is already placed. It's a pleasure to work with you."

_" The pleasure is mine. " She ends the call and turns the filter off. " It's done ... They might have a way out from my Towers ... stall them if needed. How are you going to do it ? I move again, and my camera is now recording the fire alarm. She giggles _" Excellent idea. Do it. Our friends are also watching, but they can't hear us. A fire alarm is a perfect excuse to evacuate the hotel. "

The alarm starts to ring, I can see the kids scared faces. I move, the door in the back is now unlocked and the electronic cages are open. The kids run at full speed, I aim the camera to them. The police and the military enter and grab them. The military have earpieces so they are hearing the directions from the ones that are seeing the feed. Step one done, the kids are safe. I aim the camera for the man with the white hat, trying to push a locked door. Oracle laughs, she knows it was me. The police and the military just tap him on the shoulder and capture him. I move, and can see them. An helicopter is landing on the top of the hotel. The head of the snake is running, only a door separates them from the helicopter. A locked door, with a broken key. Oracle giggles once again after hacking the security cameras on the roof and watching the pilot trying to open the locked door. He takes too long, the silent zip lines carry the military team that knock him down. The operation ends, She speaks once again. " We have a problem, one of them took ... " I don't let her finish. I see them and move. He got a hostage. The young military was overconfident and got captured. I can take him down without an effort, but they will know my speed. Locking doors is one thing, seeing my real speed is another.

After watching my father fighting Zod seriously for the first time, they got scared and they already suspect that he is holding back. But if they see my power, they will never sleep again and wet the sheets until the day they died. I hold back, and grab the steel lid of a garbage can. I throw it, and it flies perfectly to the thug's head and knocks him down. The team pierces the criminal with several slugs into his heart and head before he touches the ground. Normal procedure. They have the big fish already, and the orders are to kill all that run from the police eyes. It's their way to clean the world. One slug would be enough, but they go for the overkill. They all know my position and see me, in my dirty clothes. One of them walks towards me, and Barbara voice tries to comfort me " Don't worry, I talk to them. Aim the camera. " The military leader approaches and stops in front of me.

" We were never here, we do not exist. Congratulations for the fishing. " Her robotic words sounds louder, she increased the volume of the speaker. The military reaches his hand to his earpiece and smiles, another military shouts " Commander, is everything alright ? " The commander looks at me and shouts " Yes. As you can see, I am alone here and just stopped for a quick wiz. The top guys said that our fishing trip was a success, but we will stay in town a few more days. Apparently the bad guys want to invite the daughter of the Captain we met a few minutes ago, to a private party, and we have the honour to receive them properly. " They all take their weapons to the heart, laugh and ignore my presence. The Commander looks at me and reaches her hand. " What a fine night. " I reach my hand to my heart, she does the same. She turns towards her group, they all look to their van, giving me time to escape. I don't need it, but I pretend to run to the alley.

Oracle tell me to meet her at the Watchtower tomorrow. I don't move. " They are professionals and know what they are doing. They are a elite unit and ... You're like Him. I get it. Do you need a place to stay ? " I move. A single journalist is between the Captain and the Ambassador, capturing the moment with her cellphone. They are publicly shaking hands. The Captain representing the police and the Ambassador representing the Director. " Already in front of the Captain's house. Nice move. This is the best part of the job. If you need something, tap the radio twice. I have to sleep ... just a couple of hours. My program can detect that signal and wake me up. Sorry for not staying watching you ... 48 hours is my limit. Thank you for your help. " She turns off the radio, I cover the camera and come out of the tree's shadows towards the van parked a few meters. I don't need to knock. The Commander is watching the external hidden camera and opens the door without saying a word. I walk towards a corner. None of them say anything when I lay down. I don't need to sleep, but I need to know if they are to be trusted. The Commander hands me over her backpack, I use it as a pillow. They all speak in another language. I recognise it, Damian taught me all the languages, including kryptonian.

" Commander, what now ? "

" Nothing changed Amazon, we do our job. "

" What about ... "

" Nothing changed. Except your training. Being overconfident can get you killed. You need to improve that to stay in my unit. If you weren't caught we would never knew who planted the camera in one of the safest buildings of this planet, and got hard evidence to screw the life of the head of the one of the richest family in history. Not even those fancy layers can get him away this time. Learn with it, this was a perfect net to fish. Now sleep, I will wake you up for the switch. "

They all sleep, some snore. I wait a little, before I seat. The Amazon's Commander isn't surprised. " I knew it. People like us don't sleep on the job, want some coffee ? " She hands me over a steaming cup. An easy way to keep the temperature and the eyes open. I raise my hand covered by my coat to refuse it. " Got it, I used to be like that also. Best way to not have bathroom brakes is dry fasting. Old school, is rare. By the way, we are the Amazons and you ? " I look around, they are all sleeping and the monitor only shows the van's external camera. " We didn't have time to install more and ... " I reach my hand, the Amazon's Commander reads my intention and hands me over a micro camera. " You are concerned. I get it, we should think about it also. We just arrived from a mission ... today is our day off, but after knowing what fish we were baiting, none could refuse the job. Kids are sacred for us. Why don't you use your camera ? I bet it would be better than this one. " I look to the Amazon's Commander and to her backpack. " Oh, they are sleeping ? Guess we are not the only ones enjoying our day off. Well you know how it is. This is the best part of the job. " I open the door of the van in silence and walk towards the house. I move slowly in a drunkard motion until I reached the garbage can. I lift the steel lid and look inside. I can hear the anxious heartbeats of the Captain getting closer while I grab a piece of pizza's crust.

He opens the door and shouts pointing his gun at me. " Who are you ? What do you want ? " I raise both hands in a universal signal of peace, then rub my belly area with both hands, still with the crust on my hands. " Oh, you are just looking for something to eat ? Sorry. Don't be afraid, I am a police officer ... I am a little jumpy ... Please wait a minute, I have something better. That crust is very dry ... " He walks back inside, I plant the camera on his mail box, before he returns with a couple of burgers and a can of beer in a bag. " Sorry, it's not much ... but it is for you. Have a good night. " I grab the bag and walk a couple of meters. I stop half-away to the van, hidden in the tree's shadows. A few minutes later, the Amazon Commander comes towards me. " What's wrong ? Did you see something ? Oh, nice trick, with one camera you covered the door and the window. The mailbox, kid ... you have bigger balls than my husband. Now tell me, what's going on. "

I look to the end of the street and she sees it. A black van. " Sorry for calling you a kid ... What's the plan, we are going to stay here all night ? " I don't move, near the trees we are covered by the shadows. The Amazon's Commander is by my side and we wait. The cold weather blows, we don't move, watching the van and the surrounding area. Another van shows up. The drivers talk and open the side door. A couple of men jump outside of each van carrying guns. The drivers tell them to remove the masks, and put down the uzis. They are fast, but we see them. " Ok, this is it. My crew of Amazons are already up and watching the house ... " I step back, open the bag and take the can of beer. I pour half of it on the coat's hood covering my head. The Amazon's Commander doesn't say nothing, and reaches her hand. I pass my fist covered by the coat, on her military jacket, she understands and removes it. I hand her over the can and she does the same. A military jacket is a red flag, but a black shirt is very easy to find in the shops. The beer runs down our heads. My face is half covered by the old hood, the Amazon's Commanders face is fully displayed and her black shirt is drenched. I pull a burger from the bag and hand her over one also. She grabs it, and I can see her body shaking. Six against 2, being one a strange kid like me is too much for her. She relies too much on her gun. I step forward and grab the can. With my drunk walk, I go in a non linear path towards the van. The Amazon's Commander is behind, following me and shouting " You stole it, give back my burger. " We didn't planed nothing, and she already created a story, I would love to work with her a few more times. She starts pursuing me, at drunk speed. The guys on the van are puzzled and don't know what to do, I use the chance to hide myself behind one of the drivers.

The Amazon's Commander shouts. " ARE THEY YOUR FRIENDS ? STEP ASIDE, THE BURGER IS MINE. GIVE IT BACK. " It's obvious that her crew on the van got eyes on us, and are waiting for a signal. I move in a drunk scared way behind the other driver. The surprise effect wears off fast and the men prepare to react to our presence. The Amazon's Commander is now near the group, she looks at me and we strike at the same time. She takes downs the two drivers with lightning punches, I dance slowly in the middle of the others, serving gently invisible elbows to the stomach, and kicks bellow the knees. After a few seconds the other Amazons shows up carrying riffles, but the gangsters are already all on the ground. Some members of the crew start the ID process, other start searching the van.

The Amazon's Commander gets near me and asks a question " You have a strange fighting style. What was that ? " I step back, demonstrate a perfect pirouette, and finish with a pose. The Amazon's Commander and the others laugh.

Example Image

" Ballet ? I never dream that dance could be lethal. Quick question. Why were you hiding behind them ? " I remain silent and throw the keys to the Amazon near the van, she smiles and opens the door. I do the same to the other van. The Amazon's Commander laughs loudly " You pickpocket them when they were confused ? Keep the burger, you earn it. If you need a job, call me. I will make you our Queen and let you lead the Amazons " A report comes up, I already know. One of the drivers is on the most wanted list for bombs threats, and they discover the explosives inside the van.

I've seen his face at the Manor. It's one of Oracle's habits. She keeps a wall with wanted photos, maybe for target practice or is her to do list. The loud noise makes the Captain run towards us, one of the Commander's subordinates stops him and flashes a badge. The Captain cries and hugs her with gratitude, he returns to his house and gently pulls his daughter peeking at the door. The kid waves to the Commander's crew and salutes them with the wrong hand. His father corrects her. The team salutes her back.

Example Image

I can hear the kid saying to her father that she wants to join them one day. All the anxiety is gone. His heart is now dancing with joy. The commander asks if I need a ride. I shake my head. He gives me a commemorative coin. I hear her stomach complains and I give her the only thing I have, the burger. She laughs, and bites it while walking towards the van. I walk back to the shadows. The trees make me invisible and I move towards the Watchtower.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)