More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by richardcurrently richardcurrently

Does she go?

Date Night

Lily arrived for her date a couple minutes early and sat at the bar. She texted Cassie a status update and flagged the bored looking bartender for a generic IPA. The Stag was a pretty run of the mill tavern-ish sort of pub, they didn’t sell real food but had good beer for cheap. Given how small this town was, it always surprised Lily just how many bars stayed open, but tourists paid the bills enough of the year to keep the lights on.

She sipped her beer and checked her phone; Kyle was 15 minutes late already.

Am I about to get fucking stood up? She wondered to herself, wishing she’d had a snack before leaving. She hadn’t bothered dressing up, her Vermont hipster chic coat with sensible jeans and a flannel keeping her warm through the chill of the wind. The edges of her shoulder length peeked out through the beanie pushed back on her head. Another fifteen minutes passed, and she finished her beer pouting in annoyance.

The bartender made his way over, Wednesday night at the Stag only drawing a handful of regulars. Lily was lost in thought, berating herself for wasting the night before her day off to get ghosted by the first asshole she’d deemed worth an evening out. “Get you another one?” the deep and rumbly voice inquired. Lily looked up, taking in the man behind the bar. He was tall, with short trimmed black hair and a long beard framed his handsome face. Dark brown eyes peered at her, drinking her in as he waited for the answer. “Yeah, can I try the house amber ale?” Lily replied, her eyes drifting to the muscular forearms revealed by the rolled-up plaid.

The bartender quickly produced the beer, placing it in front of her “I’m Tom” he said, extending a hand which Lily shook, “You work at JP’s right? Pretty sure I’ve seen you round there before.” Lily released his firm callused grip “Yup yup, moved here a couple months ago and been kinda hanging around since.” The two chatted off and on about the tiny ass town, work, basic introductions. Occasionally, Tom would step away to fill someone’s glass or cash them out, but he always returned to Lily’s spot to keep her company. Eventually, the elephant in the room was addressed “Got stood up?” Tom asked in his gravelly voice.

Lily hung her head “first date I’ve been on in like a year and a half and this jerk ghosts me… ugh.” Tom shook his head “sounds like a loser but gave me someone to talk to so I gotta thank him. Been dealing with these same drunk fucks for years.” He barked a hollow laugh “November is the worst time of year up here. Too cold to do shit, and only the townies to keep you company.”

Lily gave him a wry smile “Amen to that.” Tom snorted, somehow more mirthful than his laugh “Hey now, you ain’t been here a year yet, you haven’t sunken to the level of us degen townies quite yet.” They carried on, the conversation warming as the last of the regulars either closed out or promised cash the next day. Grumbling, Tom accepted their excuses and let them leave. It was still fairly early, not even 11, but Lily found herself alone in the pub with the dark and handsome Tom.

Closing time

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)