More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by fyreant fyreant

You See...

Countess Zoe of the County of Undrek (updated 5/9/20)

For the one and only Countess of Undrek - always a countess - looking good was simply expected of you by your subjects and the lords you served under alike. The silvered mirror in your lavishly-appointed bedroom confirmed that. Your golden blonde hair descended halfway down your back - to keep it orderly, you tied a ribbon around the very end. It complimented your flinty grey eyes and pouty lips, always highlighted with makeup when you appeared before your court or visitors. Your bosom was neither small nor large but had a pleasing firm bounciness to it, which all your choices of outfit tended to highlight. You smirked to yourself, feeling confident that your initial fears of the burden of leadership were unfounded. Indeed, the proud part of you insisted, you were already a fine countess. Certainly you looked the part.

The gold-trimmed white gown you were wearing would've been considered very indelicate and inappropriate for a lady of noble birth in most of Itheria. It had slits running all the way up to the lower half of your chest, allowing your knickers and garter-clad legs and thighs to be seen in motion by anyone who cared to look. The detached sleeves showed off your shoulders nicely, and a triangular opening over your chest invited wandering eyes to your twin hills.

A pair of servants awaited outside your chamber door and immediately took up following you, obediently draping a fur-trimmed cape over your shoulders as you walked and informing you that your advisors were awaiting you at your table to discuss the day's agenda over crepes.

In theory, the Orban family that currently rules Undrek - and of whom you are the latest scion - are vassals of the Duke of the Frostpeaks. In practice, Undrek contributes little to their military and pays tribute in coin and goods (and... "services") rather than fighting men. In sharp contrast to the warrior ethos associated with most of the southern lands of Itheria, the jaded people of Undrek openly scorn the arts of war, considering themselves sophisticates despite not being particularly wealthy or influential compared to other parts of the kingdom. This is not to say that Undrek is pacifist or benevolent; the rulers of your county have just historically preferred mercenaries, privateers and brigands to do dirty work on their behalf rather than raising their own companies of men-at-arms.

A county comprised mostly of inhospitable marshlands save for a central city and a vital road linking it with Riverain in the west and Hillgard in the east, Undrek is often despised by those who value honor and tradition, but others speak of it as a garden of delights or a profitable partner. The coarser, lower-class men at arms from other domains seldom have any objection to passing through the town of Undrek with its many gambling dens, drinking halls and bordellos.

Undrek has some very unusual customs... some of which are very unpopular in other parts of the kingdom, and others that gain them wealth and favors. Many of the peculiarities of Undrek have to do with the considerable goblin population. Unlike in most human lands, goblins are accepted and even somewhat 'civilized', wearing woven garments and using metal tools and weapons. But the integration is far from perfect: the smaller humanoids are still second-class citizens (alongside the few beastmen that dwell there), and have no legal protections. Many of the goblin tribes that frequent Undrek lands are nomadic, using it as a stopover and hideout in between raids on human settlements in the north; the rulers of Undrek have historically turned a blind eye to, and even encouraged this.

As if this were not enough, Undrek has always maintained an ethic of tolerance for any and all forms of magic, even the most dangerous and immoral ones. In particular, the township of Undrek is strongly associated with necromancy, with grotesque reanimated skeletons shuffling through streets openly and undead slaves being sold as laborers alongside other wares in the market. Other goods that are illegal in most of Itheria, such as poisons, can also be found there. Titillating tales in taverns across the southern lands talk of Undrek as being "The city of witches and whores", but of course, the main source of income is more mundane crafts. In return, the county is unusually reliant on imported food, as the marshland provides little.

More than tolerance of banditry and sorcery, the practices of of Undrek that both disturb and intrigue nobles from other Duchies the most are those to do with sex. The County of Undrek has always been ruled by a Countess by tradition, making it among the only parts of Itheria with a tradition of matriarchy - though this is a de-facto state of affairs and founded on flouting and circumventing the inheritance laws rather than challenging them directly.

For hundreds of years women have ruled in this county, and you have every intention of continuing that tradition, though it has been challenged and threatened many times. Naturally this meant that you could never marry. Though this was far from the same as resigning yourself to a lifetime of chastity. On the contrary - the cornerstone of Undrek's matriarchy, such as it was, lay in extending certain unique privileges over its populace to the kings, dukes, and other nobles above you.

Statutes on inheritance and other property rights were more favorable for women in Undrek than anywhere else in Itheria - indeed, than any land known except for the Amazon isles (a people whom the ruling dynasties of Undrek have historically had contempt and hostility for despite common belief in female leadership). It is founded on the ideals of commerce, diplomacy, and - if need be - submission in place of martial valor and familial honor. Because of this and other reasons, it has acquired a slight gender imbalance in both numbers and status in favor of women, over time. 60% of the population and all of the guild representatives, magistrates and bailiffs are female.

However, this relative freedom comes at a high price, sometimes paid with the chastity (such as it is) of the county's women. The long-standing law of Undrek states that the King or Queen, and any vassals directly under them, as well as members of the King's Own regiment, have the right to command 'hospitality' from any adult in the county. This law willfully made a mockery of the traditions of marriage and was a constant thumb in the eye of the church. But somehow, the lords in position to take advantage of this law never seemed to see the problem.

After abdicating at 50 (or so she had claimed - in actuality she had jumped the gun by a few years and certainly wasn't older than 46, possibly 45, but the records of such things were poorly kept and she apparently wanted to enjoy retirement while she was still vigorous) your mother, the previous countess, had gone to the Crownlands to try and spread her influence as a courtier. You had only been countess for a few months but you were already getting a taste for an even greater level of privilege than you had already grown up with. But you also already had an appetite for more. With a young, malleable king and turmoil across the south, you had high hopes to increase your status. That left the luxurious manor in the center of the town of Undrek to you... and your many servants and hangers-on of course.

Rodolf, one of your oldest and most faithful servants, inclined his head to speak before you headed in to breakfast. "Do not forget, countess, that word has come that the Count of Luxem and his escort of troops shall be passing through here on the morrow, if not sooner. Off to battle goblin raiders no doubt - possibly ones that our own merchants traded with not long ago. Do be sure to discuss matters with these new advisors of yours you have brought in, I know that two of them are not from Undrek, and I needn't tell your grace how important it is that everything goes... smoothly."

You dismiss him with a nod, and gracefully pass into the dining room. It isn't as luxurious as what a king might enjoy, but this room, this manor, and this entire town are all yours, and that makes the comforts here far sweeter than the crumbs you might get from the table of a duke or king.

"Another good morning to you, my friends." you say to your companions as you irreverently sit with your legs draped over the armrest of your seat. "Our usual talk of trade and courtly rumors will have to wait. The roads are opening and many of the nobles of Itheria are getting wanderlust with the king out gallivanting about like he is. It would be good to discuss how we'll handle certain indelicate matters."

"And no, before you smirk - I am not speaking of the possibility of having hands put upon me or any of you three." You ring a bell and motion for the delicacies to be brought out, heaped high with artfully-prepared fruit and jam. "That is simply a fact of life. A far more troubling fact is that, as interesting as you've all been as friends and advisors, the church and some of the more stick-in-the-mud lords aren't as understanding of your... idiosyncrasies. It isn't just a matter of you personally, but the city as a whole."

You savor some of your breakfast with a silver fork before continuing. "I mean, personally, I like having witchery and necromancy serving my people instead of terrorizing them. But if we tamp down on a few of your - our - more shocking tendencies, I think we can show the more recalcitrant lords, as well as the religious leaders that will be passing through here, the advantages of having such friends. Once that is all hammered out, we can move on to the related, long-standing issue of keeping Undrek's entertainments fresh..."

At this point, politeness has been fulfilled and your cohorts are free to speak their minds and raise their own concerns...

Who are these witches, necromancers and brigands you call friends and advisors?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)