More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by RicoLouis RicoLouis

Go See The Twins Or Stay With Aurora.

Artificer Legacy

Elizabeth Hawking frowned as she looked upon herself in the mirror checking her hair as she brushed a few stray locks of her red hair from her face before looking at the dress she wore and frowned. It was a lovely dress fitting of a proper lady but a proper lady was not a word that most of the people who knew her would use to describe Liz.

Elizabeth had never much cared for the title of princess. It was more of an honorary title then anything as she was step daughter of the high Queen Freya and a companion of the real princess Astrid. Liz had never been very comfortable with playing the part of princess but she knew that she was expected to at least put on a show since she would be representing the Nordic Kingdom.

She gave herself one last look over frowning as she tried to wiggle around a little in the corset underneath which she hated even more then the dress. How women breathed in these things was anyone's guess. The things women do to impress men she thought. She swore she would love to see a man try to wear one but quickly shook her head before the image of it could formulate in her head and get stuck there.

She walked over to the window of the airship and looked out at the ground below as the scenery which told her how far away from home she really was since there was not a single mountain insight. It felt strange to her now that it had been days since they had passed through the Whitewall Mountains. She saw endless farms and small villages scattered about the flat terrain below. The trees which would soon change color were small compared to the evergreen forest she was used to.

Liz sighed and scratched her arm where the royal physician had given her an immunization shot. The mark had mostly healed but it still aggravated her. She had no idea what it was suppose to immunize her from but knowing the queen it was probably everything and anything known to man. She turned as she heard a familiar knock at the door.

“Come In Paige.” Liz smiled. The door opened as the mechanical automata entered closing the door behind her. Paige was a construct built by the greatest artificers of this age, Liz's father. He had always considered Paige to be his second greatest accomplishment in his life with Liz being his first. Their was not a man or woman within the the commonwealth, nor the empire for that matter, who did not know his name or skill with machines.

He was celebrated as a hero who built the automata golems. Protectors of the Commonwealth during the continental war. They had fought against the Imperial hordes of half human beast known as the Chimera and drove them back. As Liz got older she began to understand her father did not see himself as a hero but as a man to fight in a war the only way he knew how. He never wanted to be remembered as a war hero or his inventions used in such a way.

“We will be arriving shortly my lady.” Paige said in a chipper voice. Paige like most dolls could not show expressions in her face which made her look like she was wearing a mask that had an always slight smile. Paige however unlike most dolls could reflect it in her tone of voice and body language how she felt. Paige had went to make sure their cargo was ready to be off loaded in the cargo hold and hadn't been damaged any in flight.

“Do you think I will like living in the city Paige.” Liz said as she turned from the window. Liz grew up in Castle Storm Hold in the mountains overlooking the city of Winter Vale. Astrid and Liz would sometimes sneak off on horseback and visit the city but it could hardly compare to the city of Lumieres. The very heart of the commonwealth.

“I cannot speculate on matters to which I have no bases my lady.” Paige answered.

“Is that your way of saying you don't know?” Liz smiled. Paige just gave a little coy shrug.

“More or less. You will have the chance to meet people who share similar interest as yourself. Maybe even make friends and who knows maybe you will even meet a nice guy.” Paige added.

“Have been talking to my mother again?” Liz smirked. Being a princess if even by name Liz was expected to marry into a noble family but Liz did not want to marry someone for the purpose of a political alliance.

“No not since we left.” Paige shook her head in response as she move across the room. “Your first mother and your father meet at the University so there is always the chance for history to repeat itself.”

“Yes, because that turned out so well.” Liz took a deep breath as she touched her locket. Liz could not remember her mothers face aside for the picture she had inside. Her parents had meet at Ravencraft university and fell in love. Liz's father had given up his birthright and title for the woman he loved. A commoner. When they found out they could not have children they adopted Liz and for a time they where happy but Liz only knew the fairy tales her father had told her.

“I am sorry I did not mean to upset you my lady. I will not bring up the subject again.” Paige said touching Liz shoulder.

“No it is okay. I suppose I should at least put on the illusion that I am looking to be courted.” Liz shook her head and gave a smirk.

“As long as they don't mind you playing hard to get I assume?” Paige said jokingly knowing Liz all to well. Liz gave a small smile in acknowledgment. Even if she found a man who could interest her, that was a long shot, she had no intention of making it easy for him.

A knock came at the door and Paige moved to open it and Captain Jensen stepped through.

“Your highness, the city will be in view shortly.” The captain said as he put his fist to his heart. He did not bow or bend before royalty but stood strong as warrior as was expected of him in the north. “I was wondering if you would like to bring her into dock for old times sake?”

“Sadly no Captain. But thank you.” Liz smiled. He had given Liz more then a few lessons in Liz's younger days and peeked her interest into airships. Of course that was back when Liz needed to stand on a box to see over the helm so she could steer. She had considered follow her step mother and enroll in the academy but had decided against it knowing many would resent her and see any promotion she would earn as royal privilege. “I have enough trouble breathing in this dress let alone moving about. Plus I will have people expecting me once we dock so it is best to not keep them waiting.” Liz said realizing how much she sounded like her adoptive mother, the High Queen.

“Very well your highness. Maybe next time. You should at least come above deck to see the spire as we make or approach. She is quit a site to behold your first time to the city.” The captain smiled. Liz nodded and her and Paige followed. “I will have your bags off loaded right away and sent to your residence.”

“Thank you captain.” Liz smiled. It would take Liz awhile to get used to calling the place her home. Liz's dad had lived there during the war but it had been left abandoned for many years now. Liz had never been allowed to visit him as her father felt Liz was safer in the north.

Captain Jensen lead them up to the deck where Liz felt her breath leave her as she caught site of the spire. The giant metal tower loomed over the city of Lumieres as airships from ever nation moved about it. More then she had ever seen together.

“She is a sight to behold isn't she.” The Captain said as he stepped aside for Liz.

“Very much so.” Liz walked to the edge looking overboard. What had been farmland now gave way to the city of Lumieres. Liz's new home for the next four years as she studied at the university to become an artificer like her father before her. Paige joined her as they spent a few minutes enjoying the view and pointing out sights they wanted to visit.

The Spire grew larger as they approached. It sat on an island in the mouth of a river where it meet the bay. Vehicles coming and going across the bridges on the northern side of the island while a train sat on the tracks that ran underneath the center of the spire. On the southern end several ships where docked where they where offloading cargo from Antillia and Elysium in the south to be carried by train or air to the other nations.

The spire was called the heart of the Commonwealth of Kingdoms and Liz could see why as she wondered at the logistics required to manage something so large. The airship turned slightly as it made its approach toward the large cradle that jetted out from the spire. The frame made of metal but the inside where the ship would rest was made of wood and rubber. The ship slipped and slowly descended until it touched down smoothly.

Liz could see the small procession of people awaiting her arrival,. thankfully nowhere near as large as if her mother or sister had accompanied them. A few workers on the other side moved the gangway into place between the ship and the spire while the deckhands went about securing it on this end.

Liz smiled as she saw her Uncle James, or at least the closets thing she had to an uncle awaiting her. He was her fathers logistics officer during the war who handled deployment of the golems to the front line. The grizzled old man was a war veteran who had the scars to prove it. She was a little afraid of him when she was younger because of the burns on his face as well as the metal plate and mechanical eye on the left side of his face but had grown used to once she got to know him.

“My lady.” The deckhands said as they moved aside. Liz nodded and headed out onto the gangway making her way across as she smiled at Uncle James. The gruff old man smiling back. Suddenly there was a loud noise and the gangway cracked beneath her as if about to give.

“Lady Hawking.” Paige went to come after her.

“Paige Stop.” Liz ordered as she threw up her hand. The gangway couldn't take the added weight of Paige's metal body. She turned to see her uncle at the other end with his hand out who had stopped as well.

Any motion from Liz would most likely cause it to crack further and send it falling but if she stayed here she would die when it eventually broke. Maybe if she went slow and steady she might have a chance. She began to creep along holding onto the side with one hand trying not to step onto anything that looked damaged while reaching out with her other. She was almost close enough to touch his hand. The bottom gave out and Liz went over the edge as it shifted and snapped. Time began to slow as she fell.

She saw the rubber recharge cables hanging from the side of the spire as she held out her hand toward one of them and grabbed hold with both hands. It burned like fire as she gripped tightly to slow herself then the wire jerk her arms as it caught her weight and she went shoulder first into part of the spire but somehow she managed to hold onto the rubber wire she was holding.

“Libby, hold on.” Uncle James yelled down.

“I am trying.” Liz said back though she didn’t see anyone when she looked up. No doubt already trying to find a way down Liz hoped. She could feel her hands slipping from something hot and wet that she soon realized was blood as it trickled down her wrist. It was making it harder to hold onto the wire now as the gust blew about her. The tighter she gripped the more it hurt and the slicker the wire got.

She looked behind her to see a beam to the cradle that held the ship. That had been what she had hit a second ago, it was close. Maybe if she could get a hold of it she could hold on long enough. She reached out with her foot trying to get a good footing and managed to touch it before one of her hands slipped off sending her spinning. She tried desperately to grab the cable again but lost her grip and found herself falling again.

Suddenly she felt something hit her in the side and wrap around her as she was no longer falling downward but swinging forward along the side of the spire and then backwards.

“I have you.” A man’s voice said as he pulled her closer and upright. Liz scrambled to grab hold of him as he held her tightly.

“Thank you, oh thank you.” Liz scrambled to grab hold of him as he held her tightly. Liz felt a little uncomfortable being this close to the man who she didn't even know.

“You want to thank me stop squirming around so much.” He said as they swung slightly in the air.

“Sorry.” Liz apologized. She had no idea were he had came from but was glad to be alive.

“Come on you piece of...” He yelled out as Liz heard a whining noise. She looked up to see he had his other arm held up above his head but where his hand should be was a cable which reached way up out of view. It was some kind of mechanical arm with a wench built inside she would guess. If Liz wasn’t hanging on for dear life right now she would love a closer look at how it worked she thought.

“Pull us up.” Liz said as she glanced down as they swung slightly.

“I can’t the wench isn’t designed for two people.” He protested as it whined.

“Your saying where stuck here?” Liz joked, granted though it was a bad joke given the circumstances. She was in a better position then before but she was still dangling several hundred meters above the ground and the only thing she had to hold onto was him.

“Apologize my lady. I am just making this up as I go along.” He replied with a small hint of humor in his voice as he let out a small laugh. “Maybe we can swing over and...” He said as they bobbed slightly. “What was that?” The guy said gripping her tightly. Liz looked up to see Paige standing on the side of the spire pulling them up as she went hand over hand lifting them upward. “That works to.” He mused.

“Hold on tight.” Paige said as she hosted them up as she had one foot braced against a beam for leverage. Liz was glad when she was close enough for her Uncle to reach out and grab her pulling her up.

“Uncle James.” Liz grabbed him and hugged him tightly as he did the same.

“I swear kid you been in the city only a few minutes and already getting in trouble.” Uncle James said as he held her tightly. “Are you okay?” Uncle James asked finally letting her go and looking her over.

“Yes, thanks to…” Liz turned but the guy who had saved her was gone. “Where did he go?”

“Looks like he didn’t want to hang around for a thank you.” Paige looked up. The guy was pulling himself up with his arm. Liz never got a chance to thank him or even get a good look at him. He had just saved her life and she didn’t even know his name. “My lady you’re bleeding.” Paige looked at Liz's hands.

“Just some rope burns, nothing major.” Liz looked down at her hands. it hurt to open them. Liz frowned as she saw it was worst then she thought. Uncle James pulled off his scarf and quickly wrapped them.

“Paige there is a medical kit in the auto, take Libby down and look at her hands while I go find out who is in charge of this circus act and have a few words with them.” Uncle James added in a rather gruff voice. She knew he meant that the words he would use would not be suitable for a ladies ear. “You men go with her. Take the secondary route.” He pointed to the spire guards who wore a mix of various uniforms from the six nations of the commonwealth.

“Sir.” One said took Liz's flank as they surrounded her and Paige. They moved through what had to be a cargo level since their where no people except for a few workers. They lead her and Paige to a freight elevator and took them down. When they reached the ground level they guided her out to what had to be the back way since the only people she saw were more workers. They moved down a loading ramp to an awaiting Auto. Liz saw another old friend standing guard.

The automata golem named Dent who was guarding the self driving Autonomous Automobile, or Auto as most people called them for short. Dent as Uncle James called him because of his beaten and battered body was a massive mechanical construct who had served as Uncle James body guard during the war. He had seen more then his fair share of combat and like her uncle had the scares to prove it. Liz had once asked why her father never tried to repair his battered frame but Uncle James felt that as a war machine he looked more intimidating with all of the battle scars. Not that he needed to be more intimidating given his size and weight.

“Good morning my lady.” Dent said as he put his hand to his heart, or power core in his case. His chest making a slight ringing noise as he did.

“Hello Cousin.” Paige said in a chipper voice. It was a little weird to think that they had the same maker giving their size difference and varying design.

“My lady, are you injured?” The big golem said as he scanned about for danger.

“Just a scratch big guy. Do you know where the med-kit is?” Liz smiled.

“Underneath the seat where Mister Locke sits. Do you require future protection from possible threats to your person Lady Hawking?” Dent said looking at Liz.

“No we don’t think so. Just keep an eye out big guy.” Liz smiled and the golem began to look about. She sometimes thought of her father’s constructs as her family, in a sense, since they both had the same father which meant she had hundreds of very protective cousins.

“Yes Lady Elizabeth.” The golem said as it scanned around. He didn't carry a weapon though his massive size made him one.

“Princess Hawking, I have medical training if you like I can take a look at your hands.” The officer offered as he opened the door for them. He wasn't to bad looking in his white Templar uniform. His accent sounded like he was from Avalon or one of the other islands in the United Isles.

“Thank you captain but Paige has quit extensive knowledge in first aid medicine.” Liz shook her head and climbed in followed by Paige who lifted the seat and pulled out the med kit as she sat down across from Liz. The kit looked more like one that was used by a combat medic then by an average citizen but it didn't surprise Liz to much knowing Uncle James and her father always tried to plan for the worst. A shot of morphine she saw might not be a bad idea once the adrenaline wore off. She could still feel her heart racing.

“Your hands my lady?” Paige said as she opened the med kit and dabbed a cotton ball with disinfectant. Liz put out her hands as Paige removed the scarf and began to clean Liz's hand with gentle dabs from the cotton balls as Paige moved with slight precious movements. It sometimes marveled her how Paige could be so strong as to lift two people but also have such precise and delicate movement when needed.

“You had me very worried.” Paige said not bothering to look up, focusing her attention on Liz hand. Liz wondered if the small talk was to distract her.

“That makes two of us. If that guy hadn't came along...” Liz sighed trying to hold her hands still as they shook slightly.

“My lady, I couldn’t help but notice that the wire you grabbed moved to you when you held out your hand.” Paige said.

“Maybe it was just the wind.” Liz shrugged though knowing better then to try and lie to Paige.

“None of the other wires moved at the time and the wind was not blowing in that direction my lady.” Paige shook her head. Liz took a deep breath.

“I just held out my hand and it came to me.” Liz sighed as she closed her eyes.

“That shouldn’t be possible since I have been giving you your inhibitor serum daily and you are taking the highest safe dose for an adult.” Paige added.

“I have been feeling things, like I knew the wires were there just now. I think I might have started growing immune to the serum. I have been taking it since I was a kid when I first started showing signs.” Liz sighed.

“Then I think we should go back home and postpone your education until we can find some other…”

“No we are staying.” Liz said defiantly cutting her off.

“My lady you know I only suggest this because I care about you, if people where to find out what you are it could be bad for you.” Paige glanced up. Liz knew Paige was right. If people knew she was a witch they would treat her differently. Though witches where treated better now by law there was still a lot of hatred since the war. Liz's mother had been murdered for being a witch. Liz's father had done everything he could to hide it in order to protect Liz but he was gone now. The serum she took was originally designed to suppress a witch powers while being held prisoner but it had been later perfected to allow witches to hide in the commonwealth and live ordinary lives as humans. There where witches like Liz who only wanted to be ordinary.

“I will find a way to control it, but I am not turning back now, I can’t spend my whole life hidden away from the word. Maybe I can increase the dosage.” Liz sighed though arguing with a Paige was frustrating and futile.

“A stronger dosage may kill you or cause side effects my lady.” Paige shook her head. Liz smirked as she looked out the window. She didn’t know what her next move was but she didn’t want to go back. She didn't want to just pack up and go back home. If it came to that she would reconsider later but for now she would stick with her plan.

“Very well my Lady, I will do everything in my power to keep you safe.” Paige said

“You are not going to tell my uncle are you?” Liz asked.

“I can not lie if asked. It is against my inscription.” Paige shook her head. Paige was honest to a fault. Liz often found it easier to not tell Paige somethings then try to get her to keep her secrets.

“However now that you are an adult I am obligated to follow your orders first and foremost.” Paige gave a slight shrug of her shoulders. “Plus I do not think a discussion of your hormones is something Mister Locke would bring up in proper conversation though if he wishes I can provide him with a diagram over your monthly cycle to deter further inquiry into the mater.”

“Paige.” Liz looked at Paige and shook her head a little shocked at the suggestion. Liz smiled a little though wondering if that was a joke or not. Humor was not something that could truly inscribed into an Automata though Paige from time to time did seem to at-least understand the concept of it since she was built to grow and learn unlike most other automata who where built only to follow orders without question.

“I will do anything in my power to help you my lady no matter what comes your way.” Paige said in a soft tone.

“Thank you sister.” Liz smiled.

“You are welcome my lady.” Paige nodded as she started bandaging Liz's hand. She was done by the time her uncle showed up.

“Lets get moving. Take us home.” He said to the auto before shutting the door. “Idiots, I swear the whole lot of them.” Her uncle fumed. She could see the soldier in him still despite his advancing age. “You okay Libby?”

“I will be. This isn't the first time Paige has had to patch me up.” Liz nodded. Liz took after her father and loved to work with her hands which meant, she was used to scrapes, bruises, cuts and the sort though never this bad. Though damaged hands was better then what could have happened.

“She does not require any medical attention that I cannot provide.” Paige added.

“That's good at least. They wish to offer their deepest apologize and said an in debt investigation will be done as well as offer you monetary compensation for any injures you have received.”

“They probably do not want to have to deal with fathers legal advocates.” Liz smiled.

“They will still have to answer to the High Queen Freya.” He shook his head. Liz knew she could be a fair and just woman but knew also that she was not one to cross. Someone who had commanded the largest air navy during the war was not someone you wanted angry with you. Liz looked up as she sensed something from her uncle.

“You don't think it was an accident.” Liz said.

“What. How did you?” He asked a little surprised.

“I can see it in your face.” Liz lied quickly to cover herself. She really couldn't say how she knew but she just did. The look on his face only confirmed it.

“That gangway shouldn't have broke so easily and the security net that should have caught you had been removed. I don't believe in coincidences kiddo and if this was someone trying to get at you I can tell you that no good will come to who ever did this.” He stated sternly. Liz thought it better to not go into detail about what he meant. Liz was to concerned with the thought that someone for reasons unknown might want her dead.

The ride to the house didn’t take long as they pulled up to the gate which opened automatically as the auto approached. Liz felt strangely at home as the auto pulled up to the house though she had not lived here since she was small. Liz's dad had lived here during the war by himself but it had been left abandoned for many years now.

The auto stopped and they all climbed out. The front doors of the manor opened as she approached though there was no one there to greet them. Liz was surprised as she entered the vacant house since it looked like it had been only yesterday that her father had left it. They passed several antique suits of armor from ages gone by that seemed to stand guard over the front door in the foyer. Liz stopped in the foyer as she saw a painting of her being held by her parents. Liz touched the image of her mother in the picture smiling. Liz felt small memories coming back to her that she hadn't thought of in some time now.

“Hello Princess Fairchild.” A disembodied voice said as it seemed to come from no where.

“Hello.” Liz looked around. A moments later an old looking Doll walked into the room dressed in a butlers uniform.

“I am the house butler and grounds keeper Xavier. I have spent the last few weeks cleaning up the place in preparation for you're arrival. If you have need of anything while you are here I am at your command. All you need to do is ask your highness.” He did a bow.”

“Thank you.” Liz smiled.

“Should you wish your father left a users manual for the house in the study.” Xavier added. Liz didn't remember the house talking when she was small or this mechanical butler but it sounded like something her father would do. A user manual for a house seemed a bit much but it sounded like her father as well. Who knew how many secrets this house could hold when one of the smartest men in the world got bored. Liz walked into the study where she saw bookshelf upon bookshelf against the walls of the room. It looked more like a small library then a study. A smile crossing Liz's face wondering how long it would take for her to read them all.

https://www.patreon.com/Artificer_Legacy

What's next?

  • No further chapters
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)