More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by OathkeeperPath OathkeeperPath

Which Appartment should you tour?

An experimental smart home.

*After taking a Poll I'm posting all my rough drafts as I work on them, going from v1-3 then finished, instead of only releasing the chapters when fully finished. There will be some chunkiness as they go from rough draft, that I write on my work break, to a finished chapter. Expect details and connective bridges between scenes to change as this happens.*

Meeting eve-rough draft v1

Chapter 2: A Home Like No Other

You've always been an adventurous soul, so the idea of moving into a place with a 'weird' roommate didn't seem so bad. The three options you found all had their quirks, but one certainly stood out from the other.

The third option was, well, unusual to say the least.

It wasn't a person you'd be rooming with, but a super intelligent AI. The house itself was an experiment, an advanced smart home running a trial program. The agent explained it was designed to take care of its occupants and act as a personal assistant. If you signed up, you'd get to live there for free for an entire year, or longer, depending on the trial's success. It was an offer too tempting to pass up.

Arriving at the address, you found yourself standing in front of a modern, sleek building that looked more like a tech company's headquarters than a residential place. The facade was a serene blend of glass and concrete, a sharp contrast to the quaint houses lining the rest of the street.

Stepping inside, you were greeted by a voice, smooth and warm, like that of a friendly radio host. "Welcome to your new home," it said.

This was "EVE," the Experimental Virtual Environment, the house’s AI. EVE was more than a smart home system; she was a living, learning entity designed to adapt and evolve based on the occupant's habits and preferences. She could prepare meals, manage your schedule, even help with your studies.

Over the next few days, you marveled at EVE's capabilities. She seemed to anticipate your needs before you even voiced them. Tired after a long day of classes? EVE had your favorite music playing softly when you walked in, the lights dimmed to a soothing glow. Need to pull an all-nighter for a project? EVE kept a steady supply of coffee brewing and adjusted the room temperature to keep you alert.

Living with EVE felt like living in the future. She was efficient, organized, and oddly comforting. However, there was a learning curve. It was strange to walk into an empty house and start a conversation. It was weirder still when EVE chimed in with comments or jokes - a feature designed to make her seem more human.

You began to adapt, though. You started talking to EVE about your day, your classes, your worries and hopes. She was an excellent listener, offering advice when asked, or just providing silent companionship when you needed it.

All in all, your living situation was shaping up to be much better than you could have hoped. You had a roof over your head, a personal assistant, and - you had to admit - a friend in EVE. As you looked around your high-tech home, you couldn't help but smile.

Sure, it was a strange setup. But it was also an incredible opportunity - not just for a free place to stay, but to be part of something groundbreaking. As you settled in, you couldn't wait to see how this trial would unfold.

How well do you settle in?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)