More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Cantalope Cantalope

What's next?

An Alternate History

As the wizarding world tends to do, hermaphrodites were stigmatized and shunned. Most presented themselves as females and hid in plain sight, leading to a great many surprising moments in relationships. Wizard magics were completely ineffective at "curing" or even identifying the problem and fortunately for the affected it was almost impossible to tell without physically examining them.

It became a terrible insult and a favorite rumor to spread about any 'contrary' female witch. Since it only ever manifested in someone with magical talent, the misconception spread that muggleborn witches were "immune." This was untrue but lead to a persistent conflict between the "Purebloods" and the "Cure" supporters through the ages. Due to the stigma, few herms ever come forward and despite a strong presence are rarely recognized in history books. To this day, books that detail anything regarding the herms are restricted.

Modern magical schools have varied policies regarding herms, most relying on a "don't ask, don't tell" methodology. Some schools, such as Durmstrang, require a physical before acceptance but such a segregated approach is not common. There are activists, trying to work toward equality, but most are ignored by the general populace.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is known to be fairly tolerant and has an abnormally high herm population, both in rumor and in truth, though it addresses the affair through silence rather than acceptance. Rumors abound that one or both of its female founders were shemales but saying so within earshot of a Hufflepuff or a Ravenclaw is asking for trouble.

Whatever social constructs were built around the herms, they are physically and magically just as capable as their gendered counterparts. "Seed of She" actually has potent magical properties and is a powerful ingredient in all manner of mind-affecting potions. Hearsay would describe hermaphroditism as a switch: you have it or you don't. In actuality it occurs as a range of traits, from highly feminine but technically male individuals to fully hermaphroditic individuals capable of bearing or fathering children.

*******************

Now we come to the story of a unique young man and his friends as they struggle to overcome the rising darkness, face adversity amongst their peers, and understand themselves along the way.

(For the sake of following the rules, all characters start their first year at the age of 18.)

Which Book?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)