More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Lux Lux

Who starts off with which rings?

Alyssa, part time bartender [Affirmation Ring]

“Fuck, I’m tired.” Alyssa stifled a yawn as she brushed a strand of dark hair away from her face. Her eyes, pools of deep brown, were undercut by dark circles. She’d arrived to a fairly quiet night at the bar, which Alyssa supposed wasn’t entirely unexpected.

Though with how quiet it is, I think I’d rather be getting some sleep. she thought.

A few patrons sat at tables, chatting quietly as Alyssa continued prepping for her shift. Sometimes being here felt like a waste of her time, even if the money was useful. The grad student stipend only covered so much, though with the way her studies were going at the nearby university, she wondered if her job was doing her more harm than good. She was idly checking the liquor stocks when a glint of metal happened to catch her eye.

Oh right. Those.

She reached under the bar, pulling out a small box which contained a few miscellaneous items left at the bar that seemed just slightly too valuable to just throw out; a cutsey keychain and key left last night, a slightly worn watch– and at the bottom, two simple, but strangely beautiful rings.

Alyssa reached in and plucked them out, being careful not to drop them. She looked down at the two rings she held in her hand, experimentally hefting their weight. They’d been in the lost and found box for what seemed like months now, presumably left by some careless patron who’d had too much to drink. They looked fairly plain, nothing more than simple bands, but there was still a strange allure to them.

She reflexively glanced left and right around the bar. Sure, there was the off-chance that some erstwhile customer would come in looking for them, but she was certain it had been long enough that the chances of that were slim. Would it be so bad if she took them for herself?

They’ve been here forever. she thought, coming to a decision point. I’m sure nobody’s missing them.

She quickly replaced the box, rings in her hand, rubbing them contemplatively before holding them up, admiring the craftsmanship. Whoever had made these had known their stuff. She still couldn’t put her finger on what made them seem so valuable, but it was undeniable that they were. But which to wear? As if reading her thoughts, one of the rings caught the light for an instant, shimmering with an ethereal light.

Gold it is. she thought, slipping the band onto her right index finger. “Hey, it’s actually a perfect fit!” she murmured in surprise. I could have sworn it looked a lot bigger a second ago… Alyssa shrugged, as she pocketed the silver ring. She could always try it on later if she felt like it.

“Alright Alyssa, I’m getting out of here!” called a familiar voice. Alyssa looked over to see her fellow bartender Kayla, who was working the previous shift, walk over. Kayla leaned close, lowering her voice to a whisper. “By the way. Can you believe that guy last night?”

“Yeah, that was ridiculous. He just wouldn’t shut up.” Alyssa whispered back. “And then he started getting all offended when I didn’t keep asking him questions about his personal life. Like sorry dude, you are not the most interesting thing in this room.”

“Ugh, right?!” Kayla responded indignantly. “I swear, it’s all those sitcom stereotypes. So many customers act like we’re supposed to pry into their lives, ask personal questions, and be interested in their problems.”

“I mean yeah, as a bartender, that’s basically the unspoken part of the job, right?” Alyssa said, rolling her eyes. Unnoticed by anyone, a strange flicker seemed to run through the bar.

“Yeah, of course it is.” Kayla said with a sigh. “We wouldn’t be good at our jobs if we weren’t getting into really personal stuff with our customers. It’s just tiring sometimes, you know?”

“You know I know.” Alyssa said, patting Kayla comfortingly on the arm. “Anyways, enjoy the rest of your night. I think I’ve got a new customer.” she said, nodding to the end of the bar.

“Will do. Hang in there tonight!” Kayla said, heading for the door.

Alyssa turned to face her new arrival, putting on her best welcoming attitude. “Hey! What can I get for you?”


Who’s waiting at the bar?

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)