More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by TMJ2008 TMJ2008

Who is it that you see there in the darkness?

A familiar pair I've never met before.

It was an odd thing to think that, when the two figures came into focus in the darkness, they were familiar and completely unfamiliar at the same time. You recognized the pair, even though you had never met them before now. The knowledge was simply there, in your mind, as soon as you set your eyes upon them. You knew them, even if you didn't know why or how.

You knew the small, cloaked figure to be called Uldar. The creature known as Uldar was mysterious and unknowable, nothing at all revealed beyond the shapeless figure beneath the billowing cloak . Not even a gender could be told, truly, as the voice that issued forth from the darkness of the hood was almost always a whisper, even when it was somehow loud. Not even your enhanced senses, as you sniffed the air, could tell you anything about the cloaked figure save for the fact that it was indeed a living thing and that it was powerful in the mystical arts as the scent of ozone and charred embers that you seemed to associate with magic seemed to permeate the cloaked figure. Uldar was powerful, in its' way, but you felt nothing but contempt for the cloaked figure as you regarded it with your sharp predator's gaze.

The figure next to Uldar, however, was a different matter. Encased in blackness from head to toe, plate armor made of a black steel that shone like obsidian and was etched with daemonic visages and eldritch symbols throughout its surface, the figure next to Uldar was imposing and powerful. He stood nearly two feet taller than you in your current form, making him a little over eight feet tall, and his breadth seemed like it would encompass your own thrice over. Power seemed to radiate from him to all your senses, magical and physical strength seeming to seethe in him with every breath he took. He was the image of power and darkness made flesh. Or you assumed there was flesh beneath the steel, but all you could truly see was that armor and a single strip of darkness in his helmet's faceplate where burning red eyes shone with malevolent light.

You felt the hair at the back of your neck stand on end as you regarded the armored figure whom you knew to be the Dark One. The overlord that ruled these lands and whose power had led to your creation. You could scent it, that power that burned within him and within yourself. So very similar, that scent, but it was a diminished one in yourself. It was less than his own, the scent of strength, but that only made you growl all the more as your predator's pride was pricked by that. It made you glare back at the imposing figure that your mind wanted to label as master.

"Oh, look, My Lord. Such spirit in her. How she glares at you so terribly.", Uldar all but cackled, "It seems she does not know her place, does she?"

"No, perhaps she does not.", the Dark Lord states as his gaze remains upon your own, burning like twin orbs of magma that feel as though they could burn your own eyes to ruin if you kept holding that gaze, "But she will learn."

With that, he stepped forward and, as he did, you felt power unyielding wash over you like a wave. It was like the air had become thick and heated as his strength washed over you and he approached you step by slow and steady step. Every step that brought him closer made that pressure that washed over you all the greater and you felt the primal instincts within you come to life inside of you. In that instant, you felt the very basic instinct of fight or flight awaken within you as you were faced with the overwhelming presence of the Dark One before you.

To fight or flee. To stand and fight or run and hide. Those were the options your lupine instincts gave you and, in the space of a heartbeat, you made your decision.

What do you choose: Fight or flight?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)