More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by rdckrd rdckrd

Who are we following?

A Fairy Princess

Oona hovered on the edge of the Dark Wood, feeling the first pangs of fear since she began her journey. The woods here were much denser than in her home the Honey Glade. The leaves were a shade of green so dark, they looked black. The bark of the trees was an ashen, corpse-like color. This was a dark and wicked place. Perhaps the ghost stories Oona had heard were true after all...

The fairy shook out her neck-length red hair, took a deep breath, and closed her big green eyes.

"Get it together, Oona. You're here on a mission."

To call what Oona was doing a mission was a bit of an overstatement. It was more of a dare.

Being the youngest in a line ten Fairy Princesses, Oona was consistently treated like a runt and ignored. While her sisters lounged around the shimmering palace doing their hair and gossiping about boys, Oona was out exploring the woods, befriending animals, and practicing her archery. Sure, she was a runt. Even by the standards of adult fairies, she was small and delicate in body. That did not mean she was helpless. She was a good fighter with a hardened and nimble body. If push came to shove, Oona was sure she could take any one of her sisters -- not that any of them cared.

Oona had come out to this forsaken stretch of woods at the behest of her oldest sister Linya. Linya was in many ways Oona's opposite. She despised the outdoors and spent almost every waking moment within the palace walls. She was a tall (by fairy standards, which was still pretty short), beautiful fairy with radiant blonde curls and eyes like two sapphires. She was delicate and soft with large luna moth wings that glowed in the moonlight. She hated physical activity and refused to lift a finger to do so much as fetch a cup of tea.

Every fairy received a coming of age present as they reached maturity. Linya's coming of age present had been an elegant diamond bow forged by the grand craftsman himself and imbued with potent magic. This bow was a perfect weapon. Elegant, yet powerful. Deadly accurate and with an enchantment allowing arrows to bend through the air at the will of the archer...Linya mounted the bow on the wall of her bedroom.

Meanwhile, when Oona received her coming of age present a week prior, she received an enchanted crown of daisies. Like everything Oona received, it was a hand-me-down. It belonged to her grandmother, Lady Isabella. The enchantment served only to give the wearer the fresh scent of spring and a warm aura. Even so, the enchantment was wearing thin after years of misuse. It was the worst possible gift Oona could have received. As soon as Oona opened it and her face fell, there was Linya to burst out laughing.

"I don't think little Oona likes her gift!"

Oona turned bright red with anger.

"Shut it! You don't even use your gift. It's collecting dust on your wall."

"Easy you two!" Pollyanna said. "A coming of age celebration is meant to be a time of joy, not conflict."

Pollyanna was a wise and lovely fairy. She was the only sister Oona got along with. Polly spent most of her time as a scholar. While a life spent with one's nose in books did not appeal to Oona, it was something she could respect.

"You're right, sister," Linya said. "There is no need for conflict. Little Oona has never kept it a secret that she wants my bow, and she clearly hates her own present. Why don't we make a deal, baby sister?"

"I don't like the sound of that," Polly said.

"It's quite simple. If Oona retrieves a dusk pearl from the Dark Wood and gives it to me, I'll let her have my bow."

"Deal!" Oona said. "I'll set out tonight!"

With that, Oona hurried out of the room, ready to gather her belongings and start on her quest. It was only when she had nearly reached her quarters that she realized someone was following her. She turned around to see Polly standing there with a concerned look on her face.

"You cannot seriously be planning to go to the Dark Wood! It is forbidden, Oona."

Oona was frustrated. She was tired of being treated like a runt. An afterthought.

"This is the only way anyone will ever take me seriously!" Oona snapped. "Besides, I want to wipe that arrogant smile off Linya's face."

"But the Dark Wood is an extremely dangerous place, Oona! They say a wicked god of lust and debauchery was slain there. Its evil essence remained and corrupted the forest. That's how the Dark Wood came to be!"

"Please, those are just stories told to scare little kids. I'm not letting such silly nonsense stop me," Oona said.

"At least let me come with you. Oona, I have studied these things. I can be a guide."

"No! I must do this alone. I'm sorry Polly, but nothing will change my mind."

And with that, Oona had been off. Now she hovered on the edge of the Dark Wood, somewhat regretting her decision. She felt a deep sense of loneliness in this place. Perhaps it would be best if she turned around and accepted defeat. Perhaps she could learn to study like Polly. Anything to avoid the wickedness of the Dark Wood...

What does Oona do?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)