More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Funatic Funatic

Which Character's Story Do You Wish To Read?

"Ivanoran Thelerth Quaronori Estetra (Ivan)": Dark Elf Mercenary (NON-QUEST!)

Authors Note: I will not follow the Quest System of the author; I have a linear story to tell. However just because I have a story to tell doesn' t mean that your voice is meaningless, for example you might find yourself suggesting the race of a barmaiden at the end of this chapter. You won't get your hands on my Plot though.

“The moon is black.” Her voice softly whispered. “So is the shadow on your heart. Everything about you is black, Ivan. Your skin, your soul, your fate, everything. The black bird will seek you out. You will find the crystal then, killing the one you hate the most and acquire the black key. At the cost of my life.”

“IVAN!” A broad hand slammed unto the table and ripped the mercenary back into reality. He growled and opened his eyes. They were of a bright blue, weirdly unfitting but yet beautiful in his dark skinned face. A network of scars that stretched over the left side of his face, where a lightning spell had hit him once, tainted his elvish beauty. A second scar on the same side cut apart his lip and made his frown all the more frightening.

Brushing a silky strand of white hair behind his hair he spat out, “What, Ugo?” The Half-giant did not seem fazed by the Dark Elves attitude. On the contrary, he found it funny. Three times bigger as the bald, broad man was he felt no need to be threatened. It also helped that the two of them had been in this situation at least a hundred times over the past twenty years.

“We were asking what our next job is.” Ugo said and tapped on the table. The weight behind that gesture made the whole table creak. “Can’t have you sleeping off when we have business discussions.” Ivan stared into his glass and then quickly gulped it down as he came back into reality.

Currently he was sitting at the largest table within the Inn ‘To the Hired Sword’. As the name so directly implied it was an Inn for mercenaries in the Lawless City, south of the Republic. The Inn was surprisingly clean for an establishment dedicated to sell-swords. The stone floor well swept, the tables cleaned regularly. Even the bar was polished enough that the ray of sunlight that fell through one of the windows sent a sharp reflection into Ivan’s eyes as he signalled for another glass of wine.

“The hell do I know what your next job is.” Ivan continued in his usual gnarly, deep tone and stared at everyone at the table. Besides Ugo there were two others. A human mage called Terli with black, straight hair, blue robes and an oversized hat she kept on at all occasions and a goblin called Zustus, who had a long green nose and sharp teeth, which currently sank into a loaf of bread.

The four of them had just finished a mission they were hired for as a group. Before that they had also done a job together. Continuing that thought process and one would arrive at the last five years. Ugo and Ivan going back even further as they belonged to some of the long-lived races.

Terli shook her head. “Boss, you say that every time.” “I am not your ‘Boss’.” Ivan said and fished his glass out of a bar maidens hand. The red wine inside was surprisingly good and sweet. Not something, he would have thought possible in the lawless lands of the ruined orc empire. “We make such a great team though.” Zustus chimed in, “Ugo is the strong guy, Terli our ranged fighter, I steal things and you are the boss.” “Not – your – boss.” Ivan growled, “And finish eating before you address me. It is disrespectful.”

“I think our veteran here would prefer being called by his title. Right, Commander?” Ugo tried to lighten the mood. He only managed to darken it for Ivan. “Right.” He said and stared into his glass. Silently he took another sip and leaned back in his chair. “Commander, huh?” Terli asked, “Come to think of it I never knew what role you played in the War three hundred years ago.” “And it’s going to stay that way.” Ivan said, his eyes still downcast, “We lost. There is nothing further to discuss. My kind is only a shadow of its former military glory.” “What about the resistance in Bastion?” Ivan let out a disdaining sound. “The resistance…a bunch of kids playing warrior.”

Before Terli could continue her questions a fifth person sat down at the table. It was Belebi, the female Dwarf that had given them their last mission. She was, for her kind, quite tall, growing above the hips of Ivan who himself was tall even for an Elf. Her red hair was woven into three braids and her broad form made the bench creek as she took her place at Ugo’s side. “Wow, thick air here.”

“A moment ago our brave Commander was napping off.” Ugo said jokingly. “Really? Doesn’t seem like his style.” Belebi said in her thick accent. “Any pleasant dreams?” “The usual unpleasant one.” Ivan just answered. He wasn’t in the mood to talk about it. “What do you want? Our business ties are over. We go you here safe.” “What can’t I have a beer with some friends?” She asked just as a mug, almost as big as her head, arrived. “Ah! Something to drink.” She said and started guzzling it down.

Belebi was a weird dwarf. Despite having the choice to stay in the civilized and clean cities to the north she had wanted to venture into the lawless lands for whatever reasons. Ivan wasn’t interested in these reason. The only things he didn’t do were dirty jobs, assassinating a noble for example or forging documents to help a landowner get a reduction in taxes. These things were amoral and not worthy of a soldiers time. Everything else, from bodyguarding to the extermination of bandit camps, he didn’t care about. After three-hundred years of doing so his name had gotten at least a bit of weight amongst the community, although it heavily depended where he went, down here he was mostly unknown.

Belebi put her mug down with a breath of freedom. “No dwarven ale but ale nonetheless.” She said. “Now, ladies and gentlemen how would you like another mission from me?” Ivan raised an eyebrow. “You just arrived here yesterday.” “Aye and I would be a shame if I had to get someone else to escort me further.” “Indeed.” Ugo said, “You pay well.” Belebi let out a small giggle and winked at the half-giant that towered at five times her height.

“Which direction?” Ivan asked. “Oh? You didn’t care last time.” “Last time I wasn’t north of Samaria’s Forge. I have been gone to long from home as it stands.” Zustus finally stopped eating long enough to get back into the conversation. “Missing your wife, boss?” He asked. “Just worried. Leaving Nora alone for an extended period of time is dangerous.”

Terli pulled her hat into the correct position. “Yes, I could see that.” “You are married, Ivan?” Belebi asked, “Yes.” “Didn’t take you for the type.” “None of us did. His wife is a weird fit though.” Ivan tapped on the table. “Can we get back to the mission? Where do you want to go?”

Belebi pulled out a map from the bag she always carried with her and carefully unrolled it on the table. “We are here.” She said and pointed at a town south of the lake bordering the Free Lands of Dendritic. “I want to go here.” Her fingers travelled south and then east where the map showed a drawing of some ruins. “Apparently there are some people there that can take me to the Shattered Island.”

Ivan nodded, “I can do that.” “You mean WE can do that.” Ugo said and gave his ‘commander’ a light-hearted clap on the back. “Yes, I would like to hire all of you again.” Belebi said. “Your purse, your choice.” Ivan responded. “When will we leave?” “In two days, why?” Ivan finished his second glass of wine. “Because I want to have some fun with the barmaid before I am stranded in the wilderness again.” He said.

“I thought you were married?” Belebi asked, Ugo bowed down to her and whispered “These Dark Elves are a weird bunch. Polygamy is no problem in their culture.” “They have it so much better.” Terli sighed, “Maybe I should have some fun too while I can.”

Who will Ivan have 'fun' with?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)