More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by CandidBandit CandidBandit

Who am I?

Writer's Guide

For any who wish to contribute to this story, or who just want to know how the Character Creation mechanics works, then here is a short summary.

Some of it can be subject to change, and it's encouraged for authors to think of new ideas.

So, the main interface can be found to the top left corner of a person's vision. It's blue and mostly see-through. It can be minimized for convenience. The window, when not minimized, takes up less than a quarter of someone's vision as a rectangular drop box with tabs on the side. When minimized it appears as a small rectangle that is easy to ignore as it doesn't ruin one's sight.

There can be any number of tabs on your interface. But it is encouraged to include the main ones. This isn't set in stone though. The main ones are:

  • The title bar, 'Character Creation', which isn't a tab but is the first thing to see at the top of the UI.

  • The first tab 'Create a Character,' with the basics of gender, height, weight, facial and body features. There is a sub tab that deals with physical traits that are less than realistic, such as the ever-famous Cat Ears and Tail. Wings and alien skin colors are also possible here. Futanari fetishists will be happy with this section too. Or even tentacle lovers. Just make sure the general public doesn't have to deal with an outbreak of tentacle . Discretion is advised when not at home.
  • The 'Clothing' tab, has a vast array of clothing options to outfit your characters. All of these clothing options are there because you know of them or have seen them before. Clothing items can be found under the 'Single Items' sub tab. Outfits can be found under the 'Wardrobe' sub tab. The 'Wardrobe' starts off empty until you Favorite clothing items and outfits by storing them when prompted after clicking on your choice. Depending on how you go about your story the clothing can appear and disappear with your character, or become a permanent fixture in your protagonist's home, provided that there is available space, i.e. a spare room with appropriate furniture.
  • The 'Personality' tab, which is essentially the characters biography. A list of their thoughts and feelings on various subjects. These thoughts and feelings are listed and can be edited at any time. As the character is active, their personality page will update as they experience the world. Certain words will be highlighted if they are what one might consider a personality trait, such as kindness or quiet, blunt or flamboyant, annoyed or calm. Changing these, or adding to them, can give subtle or drastic changes to their behavior. Once your character is confirmed, the interface will generate a 'Backstory' that fits with the thoughts, feelings and personality traits that you made for them. That is, if you made the character from scratch. Pre-existing characters come with their own back story that can be tweaked.
  • The 'Skills' and 'Talents' tab is one instead of two since they can be considered to be similar, though one is learned while the other is inherent. Mundane skills like juggling, for example, can be made under 'Skills' while the physical ability to roll one's tongue can be put under 'Talents.' How good your character is at dealing with certain situations can be specified here also, under either one of the sub tabs. Even one's intellect can be written here. Make them smart. Even smarter than your protagonist if you must.
  • The 'Saved Presets' tab, has a list of all the people that the main protagonist knows, or is aware of. Including fictional people. There is a search function to help find certain people. Already existing people come under the 'Real' sub tab, while made-up people come under the 'Fiction" sub tab. Creations can be favorited and accessed by pressing a star icon next to the search bar. Unrealistic fictional characters such as aliens from the Star Wars universe, or fantasy characters such as elves from Lord of the Rings can be found here. Fictional characters with superpowers will even have those same powers when you create them, however, those powers will, by default, be restricted or dampened to avoid causing chaos. Wouldn't want a Superman or Super Saiyan to destroy the world now.
  • The 'Confirmation' tab, just finalizes the creation. From there you can Activate the character, or put them away for later by using the separate smaller interface that appears at the bottom right corner of the protagonist's vision. The new interface will have the character's name and the controls to Activate, Deactivate, Store or Rewind them. If the protagonist makes multiple creations, there will be enough space to fit multiple small interfaces which can also be minimized for convenience. Or grouped together like grouping together apps on your phone.

You can add a Tab if you feel it is necessary for your story. You can even change up the original ones to your liking.

Now, on to the smaller interface for each individual character. There are four controls that you can add to or change.

  • The play, or Activate button will make your confirmed character... well, exist, for lack of a better term.
  • The pause, or Deactivate button will pause them. This is so you can have peace of mind while editing them. You can also edit them while they are active but some options, like the 'Create a Character', the 'Clothing', and the 'Saved Presets' tabs will be greyed out. Physical changes cannot be made while they are active. The pause button can also be used by those with interest in the "Time Stop" fetish. Wink wink.
  • The Store button looks like a circle popping. The purpose of this button is to make your creations disappear when you don't need them or when your protagonist is in a situation where they cannot justify their characters existence to other real people. One of the reasons for this is that this power cannot make things like birth certificates or passports. Unless of course you can find a way to write your story so that it can or you can find a clever way around this mechanic. If not then your protagonist won't be flying overseas with their characters anytime soon.
  • The Rewind button can rewind your characters actions to a specified point. Once you hit 'Confirm' they will revert to that point and you won't be able to fast-forward ahead. You can only go backward. The Rewind button can only be used when the character is paused.
  • The Edit button looks like a wrench and is used to edit that individual character. Pressing it will automatically open your Creation UI, if it isn't already, and allow you to apply changes to that character.

That's what I have for now.

There are other ideas that I'm tossing around in my head that I may or may not add. Like a 'Props' tab because so many fictional characters have certain items that they own that aren't clothing.

I've even been thinking of adding in some sort of 'Social Stats' Tab like from the Persona series. It could even be a sub tab of the Personality tab.

If anyone has any other ideas or anything they'd like for me to consider putting here in this guide, then please share your opinion with me. Or if you need me to clarify something or even just to discuss something, I'm all ears.

Please share with me your thoughts.

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)