More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by solidrabbit1 solidrabbit1

Who are you anyway?

Wilfred, born into a cult isolated from the world

You were one of the lucky ones that actually learned how to read since schooling wasn't a part of this supposed utopia. Ignorance is bliss and bliss keeps everyone in line. Believe it or not, you somehow taught yourself to read by memorizing the sermons of the cult and getting your hands on a copy of the text. You spent days connecting the spoken words to the words on the page and then using what you deciphered to read other texts that weren't read to you by the preacher.

Your literacy was discovered on your eighteenth birthday and it was taken as a sign from God since the only other two literates in the colony were locked in their holy cells. Unfortunately, this sign also confined you to a cell. Only the holiest of the holy were allowed to read so you were locked up with a copy of each of the three approved texts of the colony. Your new job was to stay in this windowless room and read to the pastors the scriptures they request and nothing else.

What else could you do besides read the few books at hand and repeat the lines that were given to you. On the night you found the line about isolating the holy literates, you covered it with your finger and pretended it wasn't there. The door to your cell unlocked itself with a click as if someone was letting you out. When the door didn't open, you went back to reading the text and noticed the line was gone.

Puzzled by its disappearance, you stood up and turned the doorknob of the cell door. It opened up into the dimly lit hallway of the church. You closed the door and sat back down on your bed in disbelief. You didn't just make up the disappearance of a line of holy text. That doesn't just happen. The pastor must have accidentally forgot to lock the door when he gave you your dinner. That was all.

In fact, you think to yourself holding the book open to the page formally containing the line about your prison sentence, the blank space in the page will be replaced with...

What's the new line of text?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)