More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Ashlight Ashlight

Where to go

To the Merchants

To say the Merchants Guild of Karn was powerful was quite the understatement. Controlling the inflow of spices and the outflow of weaponry, their coffers rival even the royal treasury. Aided by the current king's hands off approach towards the economic aspects of the nation, their unabashed greed and monopolization has bankrupted most other guilds, allowing them to be bought up by Karn. Their current ambitions of cross-continental trade are in jeopardy due to Jamis' warmongering ways, and they fear that with him as king, trade and business will be sacrificed in favor of territorial expansion. As such, their preferred candidate is the second prince Del, a shrewd man who shares the guild's view on foreign policy. Perhaps, by the end of today's meeting, Alice can convince them that she's just as worthy of the crown as her brothers.

{if Finley Met = false}The guild hall was built near the centre of the city, in the bustling commercial district, with easy access to the banks and markets. Walking alongside her was the final person involved in her conspiracy, her personal knight Finley. Like all members of the royal family, Alice was assigned a knight at the age of sixteen, over two years ago, and in those two years she's grown to understand that while the young man was skilled with a blade, he had little else going for him. Still, he was loyal and absolutely smitten with her, so there was little reason not to make use of him.

Striding down the streets, Alice feels far more alive when compared to being stuck in the castle all day. Out here, she can see her future subjects, people that she will one day be ruling over, and it reaffirms her confidence in her actions. In turn, the people can see her out and about, mingling with the common folk, which in turn inspires loyalty. After all, what good is a ruler if they cannot understand the plights of those they're supposed to protect. {endif}

{if Finley Met = true}The guild hall was built near the centre of the city, in the bustling commercial district, with easy access to the banks and markets. Striding down the streets, Alice feels far more alive when compared to being stuck in the castle all day. Out here, she can see her future subjects, people that she will one day be ruling over, and it reaffirms her confidence in her actions. In turn, the people can see her out and about, mingling with the common folk, which in turn inspires loyalty. After all, what good is a ruler if they cannot understand the plights of those they're supposed to protect. {endif}

The guild hall of Karn has a subdued design, lacking in the ostentatious decorations found in the castle and the cathedral. However, the statue of Renard Karn, the guild's founder, placed in the central courtyard is unmistakable. With his stone arms outstretched, on his left hand is perched the statue of an eagle, representing honesty. An ironic message, considering how Renard managed to lie and backstab his way to the top.


Upon her arrival, Alice was led into a private meeting room with a young, far younger than she anticipated to be the financier of the guild within the Capital. Perhaps only a few years older than her, if that. Perhaps she can use his youth to her advantage...

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you, my princess," the man bows as he talks. "I am Roger Wellington, financial overseer of the beautiful Capital. I must say, you are beautiful as the rumors suggest."

Alice stifles a laugh, as it would've been unseemly. How typical of these merchants, to begin talks with such blatant flattery, but if that's how they intend to play it...

"And you, good sir, are as young as the rumors suggest. Quite impressive to have risen to such a position so quickly," Alice counters, gauging Roger's reaction. "Indeed, it was you who negotiated trade agreement with the Northmen, wasn't it?"

Roger covered his surprise well, though a tiny twitch of his left eyebrow gave it away. He definitely did not except her to be so well read on the matters of the guild, but who did? "Ah, I'm humbled to know you've heard of me. But please, that's not what you're here for is it? Let's not beat around the bushes, as I'm sure your time is more valuable than mine."

Settling down in her chair, Alice stares straight into the young merchant's eyes, before getting straight to the point: "I wish to be queen." The merchants guild were opportunists through and through, and if she could convince them that she was more capable than her brothers, she was confident they would back her.

To his credit, Roger only lost his composure for a very brief moment before recovering. He studies Alice with renewed interest, evaluating her not as a prospective client, but rather a potential monarch. "You seem serious about this," he says after a slight pause. "As you know, we've pledged our support to prince Del, who's promised us complete access to the southern seas and all it's goods. Of course, we're not opposed to changing our allegiances, but can you make a better offer?"

"Not yet, perhaps, but I'm not asking for much from you either," the princess says, leaning in with a confident grin. "I need funds, and I'll pay back with interest. So open me a line of credit with your guild. It's the same deal you offered my brothers, isn't it? What did your founder always say? 'Hedge your bets'? What do you have to lose? If I somehow became queen, I'd offer you the same thing Del has. If I don't, I'll still pay back my loan, with interest."

With his hand on his chin, a million calculations going through his head, Roger came to a conclusion. "Deal. One thousand gold, to be repaid in 3 weeks time with 10% interest. In the event you're unable to pay, we'll request something of equal value, when that time comes. Additionally, if you show promise, we're willing to offer more of our services," he says, drafting the contract with a swift pen as he speaks. "However, we require something as collateral for the loan, which you'll get back upon successful repayment."

That much was expected. Alice had brought one of her diamond rings with her for this very purpose. However, now that she's seen the overseer and how young he seems, perhaps there was a bolder way to assert her power over him...

What does she use for collateral?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)