More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by adam17017 adam17017

What's next?

The transfer of power

Alec was led up the stairs into a large room, that branched off into many different corridors, by Menge. Menge led him straight ahead to a room being guarded by two soldiers "This here is my office, come please, take a seat. Relax." He said as he ushered Alec into his office. "Make sure we aren't disturbed." He hissed at his two guards. Alec sat in the chair offered to him and watched Menge as he circled the desk in the middle of the room to sit facing him. "Now then, about the promised price?" Menge inquired. Alec opened his cloak and brought into view his travelling armor and the pommel of his sword. From within his cloak, he removed a bag which he dropped on the desk.

"The payment." Alec stated simply. Menge stared at the bag, then at Alec furiously.

"Are you trying to play games with me? This hardly looks like the amount that was agreed upon does it?!" He shouted as he leaned over the desk to get in Alec's face

"Back away." Alec said in a monotone voice as he placed his hand on the pommel of his sword. "Open the bag, you'll see that everything is in order. I don't want to catch you doubting the Emperor again, understood?" Alec said in a commanding voice, one which he had perfected on the battlefield.

"Understood." Menge said as he opened the small bag and looked inside. "What is this?" He said as poured the contents of the bag onto his desk, the desk was covered in yellowish red coins. "I asked for gold! What is this?" He shouted pointing at the desk.

"That is Nilfgaardian gold, it may not be as valuable as the stuff you have over here, but it equals what you asked for." Alec said neutrally while removing his cape and hanging it on the back of his chair. Alec knew what would come next, and he would rather intimidate the man than straight up killing him. Alec could tell that Menge saw what he was wearing, Nilfgaardian royal travelling armor that was lighter than what Alec usually wore, but still provided great protection, he would have to be wary of ranged attacks though with this light armor. Alec looked around and took in his surroundings, it didn't appear as if there was any space for archers to hide behind the wall paper, and there was only one entrance or exit to the room, easy to defend.

"You cheated me!" Said Menge accusingly, "after I offered you a deal of a life time, you cheated me." Menge said while reaching for the sword at his waist.

"Now, now Mangay."

"It's Menge!" He snarled.

"Whatever. Anyway, if you don't remove your hand from the vicinity of your sword, I'll have to kill you."

"Ooh, that's a threat eh? Guards!" Menge bellowed as the two guards from outside came in at their calling.

"Why did you have to go and do that now? Now they have to die as well." Alec said.

"This man threatened my person. Kill him!" Menge bellowed as the two burly men drew their swords and approached Alec from the front while Menge came at Alec from the back. Alec knew that Menge was the larger threat than the two buffoons in front of him, but leaving one side unchecked would be detrimental to his health and new rulership of Novigrad. Alec drew his Nilfgaardian steel sword from its sheath and slowly sung it in a circle facing all his opponents.

"There is still a chance for you all to live, just drop your swords." Alec said giving them all a second chance.

"Charge!" Shouted Menge as he ran straight for Alec with his sword raised, the two others also broke forward with their swords level.

"I tried." Alec said to himself, as he raised his two handed great sword to parry Menge's over hand slash. Alec's parry staggered Menge, which Alec used to turn around and go after the other two men. Alec blocked one lunge, and threw the man backwards, then focused on the other guard. Alec rained down a flurry of blows with his heavy sword, each clash was resulting in weaker and weaker resistance from the guard as Alec continued to tire him down. Alec faked another over hand slash, and the guard's sword came up instinctively and his eyes closed ready for impact, but Alec brought his stroke down, and right when the guard was opening his eyes to see what was happening when he didn't receive the blow, Alec thrust his sword straight into the man's chest. Alec shuddered uncomfortably as he witnessed his sword's damage, the sound of leather armor ripping as his sword cut right through it, the fountain of blood coming from the man's mouth, and the look on his face as he realized that he was going to die. Alec had witnessed much on the battlefield, and killed some himself, but he had never gotten over the uneasy feeling when being surrounded by . He withdrew his sword from the dead man and stared down Menge and the last guard with his blood red sword. "I'll give you another chance. You can sheathe your sword and leave, or end up like this one here." He said while motioning to the dead soldier. The lone remaining guard sheathed his sword and walked towards the exit.

"Hey coward! You're leaving?" The man just continued to walk.

"Hey wait. Send a message to the rest of your brothers in arms. Say that I now control them and all of Novigrad, and make sure to spread that message around the city. When you're done that, end someone up here to clean up this mess."

"Yes sir! Right away sir!" The soldier said as he left. Alec turned back to Menge as the door closed behind the guard, the two combatants circled each other with their swords held in their hands.

"You could've just taken the money Mangay." Alec said sadly "You could've been a great help to me. Now, I have to turn my attention to the dark side of town for help."

"Shut up! And it's Menge!" Menge shouted furiously as he charged at Alec, Alec just smirked.

How does the duel end?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)