More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Xenolan Xenolan

Where shall you go?

The Tavern

"I believe I'd like to start the day with a cup at the Dancing Maid," you say to Captain Navarre.

"Very good, Sire," he says falling in behind you.

People stand aside as you enter the tavern, and pass your cape over to the manservant who assists the noble visitors to the Inn. Captain Navarre passes him a gold coin (you used to do this yourself, but the Captain suggested that it would be best if he handled monetary transactions on your behalf, as was proper for a King). The tavern goes quieter than usual as you enter; there are many visitors here from out of the City who are unused to the notion of a King sharing space with them at the bar. Fortunately, Sanja is there to break the ice.

"Ah, King Xavier!" Sanja calls out as you enter, her Irish brogue cutting through the silence. "Always lovely to see you in the tavern. Fancy your usual?"

She's looking quite fetching as always, though it's early enough in the day that she has yet to pull her top down, her favored method for increasing her tips. Sanja has been running the tavern for the last few years, and you definitely find her a decided improvement over the previous keeper, a man who was really too old to be running a bar in a new city with lots of young blood. Melisande likely only kept him on because he was the man her late husband had hired and it would have been disrespectful to let him go.

"Make it a pint, my dear," you tell her, "and the same for all present, if they'll join me!"

The people of Elyssia raise their cups and cheer, and the visitors seem to relax a bit. By the time Sanja has finished distributing ale, the chatter in the bar has returned almost to normal; you can still sense eyes on you, but that's unavoidable. Captain Navarre, of course, does not drink while on duty; he fades into a dark corner where he can observe the room without being obtrusive. You've heard that he's quite the lively soul at the tavern when he's not guarding the King, but that's a side of the Captain you'll likely never see; he takes his job far too seriously for that.

"So, is it true what they're saying on the street, Sire?" Sanja asks as she finishes distributing ales about the room and comes back to you.

"It's remarkable how hard it is to hear the street from the throne, Sanja. I'm thinking of having a speaking-tube installed just so I can hear the latest news without having it filtered through elderly advisors."

"Word is that you're looking to find a Queen before the festival is done. That gives you what, three days?"

Well, Duncan DID say that it might be wise to give truth to the rumors. "I hadn't set a date... but otherwise, that's more or less right."

Sanja jumps up on the bench. "Did everyone hear that? King Xavier's looking for a Queen, and who's the lucky woman he came to see first? Best start learning how to pour your own ale, I may be moving up in the world!"

Half the tavern laughs uproariously - the half that hails from the city. The other half, comprised of visitors and those from far out of town, wear faces of shock and even fear; clearly, they've never heard anyone speak of a king in this manner while he is present in the room!

You stand up, waving a hand and smiling at everyone. "My people, rest assured that I could never take one such as Sanja as a queen..." you pause for a moment, and then add, "Not without first lining up someone to take over the bar!" You kiss her grandly upon the hand, and hand her the flower you received outside. The people cheer some more, lifting their cups to you.

Sanja hops back down from the bench, laughing and hugging you around the neck. It's one of the reasons you enjoy the tavern so much; it's not that you can exactly forget about being King here, but all the pomp and circumstance can be checked at the door just like your riding cape, and you can enjoy yourself as much as anyone.

"But, truth be told," Sanja says in a quieter voice, "did you have anyone in mind, Sire? The Warrior Queen, mayhaps? That's the name that's being tossed around the most... some say it's the reason she's here."

"If it is, she didn't tell me," you reply.

"Well, if I could tell you something in confidence..." Sanja looks around briefly, then leans in close to whisper in your ear, "I know my mistress fancies you, and she was a noblewoman, after all. Just something to think about, Sire... I wouldn't presume more than that. But if you like, I can turn the bar over to Geoffrey for a bit, and take you on up to see her."

Go see Melisande, or stay in the tavern?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)