More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 4 by Xenolan Xenolan

Go see Melisande, or stay in the tavern?

Go and see Melisande

"I'm sure Melisande is tremendously busy, what with all the visitors in town," you say, even though the idea of going to see Melisande doesn't strike you as a bad one. "The Inn is full to the rafters, and then some!"

"Aye, but she's always got time to see the King," Sanja insists. "Come now, Sire... she's upstairs counting coin, and I'm sure she could use a moment's respite."

"Then, I'll pay her a visit."

"That's the spirit, Sire! And I'll tell it true... there would be no finer woman to wear a crown than my mistress. You yourself would be living proof that a commoner can make a fine king, if you'll forgive me sayin' so. My lady Melisande was common once as well, at least so far as gold and power, but ne'er was there a woman more noble at heart that ever walked this Earth!"

As Sanja takes you through the heavy oaken door at the back of the bar, and lets it shut behind her, you feel that you can speak more freely. "Sanja, I have only the highest regard for Melisande," you tell her. "But I have much to consider regarding who I ask to be my queen; I must think of the good of the kingdom as well as my own. If it seems best that I secure a powerful alliance with another kingdom through marriage, then that is how it must be, regardless of how I may feel about your mistress."

"Oh, I know all that, Sire," she says. "And if that be how the wind blows, then so be it! But I do feel you would be mistaken to not give my lady all due consideration as well, if I might be so bold as to say it."

"Sanja, I can't imagine what you would NOT be bold enough to say."

She laughs at that, hugs you again, and proceeds up the stairs. It is a minor impropriety that she goes ahead of you - as King, you should precede. But that's hardly something you would insist upon, especially since you're alone; except for Captain Navarre, who you notice has silently slipped into the stairwell behind you. He looks up at you with a questioning glance, and you indicate that he should remain at the bottom of the stairs; Melisande is certainly no threat.

At the top, Sanja taps on the door.

"Gods be damned, that had better be the King, or someone's getting tossed to the hogs!" Melisande yells from within. The door flies open, revealing Melisande looking outraged - and then she sees you there. "Well, bless me, it IS the King," she says, completely nonplussed at her own outburst.

"I'll send some scraps over after the feast tonight," you tell her. "Can't have the hogs going hungry."

"A thousand pardons, Sire... it's been the busiest week of my life, and today most of all. Sanja, what the blazes are you doing up here when there's thirsty visitors in the tavern?"

"Oi, I'm only escorting the bloody King!" Sanja retorts.

"And what kind of way is that to talk in front of a King, or in front of your mistress for that matter?" Melisande shouts back. "I beg your pardon, Sire, do come in, I'm afraid my rooms aren't fit to host a King, but it's better than the top of the stairs."

You and Sanja step inside, and you see that Melisande has indeed been busy; there are stacks of coins piled high on her desk and scrolls with her accounting notes strewn about. The Inn has surely never done such lucrative business, but it's taking its toll on poor Melisande.

"If it would please you, Melisande, I can send someone over from the royal counting house to assist you," you suggest.

"A generous offer, Sire," she replies, "but my poor late husband used to say, 'Count your coins yourself and the count will come up true.' Not that your people would count them false, Sire, it's just a job that needs to be done by my own hand. But... truth be told, if you could see fit to part with a scullery maid or two, just for tonight mind you, and of course I'll compensate the crown..."

"Not at all, Melisande. You've been going above and beyond to help make this festival happen, it's the least I could do. In fact, if it would be better, I could return at a later time -"

"No, please stay a moment, Sire. I'm most grateful for the interruption. I've been at this for hours, and I'm this close to just shoveling this mess into the strongbox and being done with it. Sanja, since you'll insist on letting your own customers drain their cups dry, be a dear and fetch a mug of ale for your mistress."

"Of course, m'lady," Sanja says brightly, and fills a cup from the barrel in the corner. "Another for Your Majesty?"

"Thank you, Sanja - I wouldn't want Melisande to drink alone."

"Aye, Sire!"

Sanja comes over with the mugs, and you can't help but notice that she's serving the drinks in her usual manner now - that is, with her top pulled down. She hands a fancier crystal mug to you, and a wooden one to Melisande - as King, you've found that people serve you with the finer things, and it just creates awkwardness when you've tried to refuse in the past so you've had to get used to it.

"Here's to the festival, Sire," Melisande suggests. "May it be over before it becomes the of us!" The smile on her face takes the sting out of her words; you know that with as much work as she's put into this celebration, she's as happy about it as anyone.

"Cheers," you say, and tap glasses. Sanja has filled a tiny cup for herself as well, just so she can toast along with the King, and downs it in a draft.

"If I may, Sire," Melisande says, "The whispers are that you've decided you've had enough of the single life, and you're looking to find a woman to rule by your side. I think I've heard it from everyone in the Kingdom save the King... so, is there truth to it all?"

"There wasn't, until this morning," you reply, "when I got wind of the same rumors. The truth is, I have an obligation to leave an heir, if nothing else. It's past time I found a queen; most kings would have been wed long before now."

"Any thoughts on who she'll be?" Melisande asks. Her attitude is completely cool, and there's no indication that the question is a loaded one.

What do you say?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)