More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Nemo of Utopia Nemo of Utopia

To What Group Of Races Doth Thou Belong?

The First Old Wave: Purzians (Catfolk), Jwinamja (Rat-men), Centaurs, Draconians (Dragon-Kin), Kitsune (Shape-Shifiting Fox-People), Vanaras (Arboreal Monkey-People), and Wayangs (Asiatic Shadow Halflings).

Seven races were added in the first expansion...

First were the Purzians, a race of cat-like humanoids who lived on a frozen ice-world at the outer edge of the habitat-zone of their star, and whose planet was mostly of interest to the Federation for it's vast supplies of gems which could serve as magical reagents. The Purzians were taken on more as a charity case than because they brought some great advantage to the Federation, but they proved capable of adapting to life as starfarers and instrumental in colonization of other frozen-but-mineral-rich planets.

Next the Jwinamja were discovered. The system where they were found was a long way off from existing Federation space via a stable wormhole, one of several in their system. They lived amidst the ruins of a vast, (planet spanning,) city, scavenging for food and tools. At first they were afraid of the Federation explorers, then agresagressive and violent, driving off the early attempts to studdy the ruins. Later a fresh attempt was made by a crew entirely composed of Hobbits and Gnomes. Dealing with people their own size that didn't smell like predators, the Jwinamja opened diplomacy. When the nature of the Federation was explained thier representitves eagerly asked to be admitted, though they briefly balked at their previous enemies being brought in as expert negotiators. For the next 70 years the ruins were constantly being excavated by archaeologists and then rebuilt by the Federation for the Jwinamja to inhabit. The planet, now known as "Concordia", (it has no name that the natives can agree on...) is now like a second capitol for the Federation, with its own Helm Foundry, and the backup facilities for the Federation Government in case Holy Terra were to be destroyed or fall to attack.

Even as the negotiations for the Jwinamja to join the Federation were concluded another race was discovered, after a fashion, the Centurs. Centurs has been well known on Holy Terra, but were all but extinct there, having suffered greatly from the parceling out and fencing off of the great grasslands. However, the Elven nations of the distant East and Halfling country of the far West maintained areas where a few thousand Centaurs survived. Thus, when a planet known as 'Grass'* was found where Centaurs had built a nomadic but thriving civilization, the Federation was overjoyed to offer them admission to their ranks. Many Centaurs from Holy Terra emigrated to 'Grass' but just as many immigrants came to Holy Terra to join the Centurs living there, so a balance was maintained.
*(Formally known as Mishar-Class Planet #23 (Sub-class P&G#1): "The Planet Of Grass", but no one calls it that except for the most technically minded natives.)

Not long thereafter the planet of "Gloriana" was discovered, and it's inhabitants the Draconians. Essentially small humanoid Dragons the Draconians had been clawing their way back up from the pit of an ecological disaster caused by the -curse of the great Dragon Kings of thier world. For a thousand years the Dragon Kings had ruled unchallenged: the Draconians served thier Dragon masters, but then the great destroyers came from beyond the stars and slew the Dragon Kings one by one. As each Dragon King died he cursed the destroyers, weakening them, but also rendering the land barren for a thousand miles in every direction. Only after the last of the Dragon Kings had been slain were the destroyers weak enough that the combine might of the three-hundred greatest heroes of the Draconians was able to bring them down, but by that point the world was an all but uninhabitable wasteland. 500 years of bitter struggle for survival and a thousand failed attempts to restore the ecosystem had followed, but though they were a shattered husk of their former glory the Draconians survived. Not insensitive to thier plight the Federation offered to open its doors to the Draconians, and give passage to the people who their planets damaged ecology couldn't properly support to newly settled worlds in exchange for service aboard the ships giving them passage and further civic service when they reached their destination. Meanwhile the Terraforming corps would try to break the curses limiting the ecological restoration to a few isolated oasis. The Draconians signed up to emigrate in droves.

Lastly, the world of Samaria was located, where two rival gods, Emperor Black Fox and The Monkey King, heads of their pantheons, (deprived of the grand arena that had been Holy Terra,) had decided to settle a divine disagreement by placing colonies of their respective races most devout individuals on an 'uninhabited' planet and send them to war. The problem was the world they had chosen was NOT uninhabited, the natives however were secretive, reclusive, and slight of stature. These "Wayangs", the distant descendants of crossbreeds between Gnomes and Hobbits from a mad wizard's experiment on the plane of shadow, had been caught in the crossfire of the war between the Divine Emperor of the Kitsune and the Heavenly King of the Vanaras. The Federation, upon discovery of this abominable malpractice by these two divinities, assembled their mightiest champions and made their position known to both pantheons. The contest was declared not a draw, but a double loss by mutual disqualification; on grounds of having chosen an inappropriate playing field! Both sides were to surrender not only thier stakes in the contest, but also the "equipment" they had used to play, in this case their Kitsune and Vanara Warriors, support staff, tools/weapons, and outposts/cities. Five contests were aranged between the mortal champions and the two gods, to prove that, should they defy the Federation, the could be to comply. The mortals won ALL of them. Reluctantly, the two divine lords put an end to the fighting and told their followers to lay down arms. The Federation dispersed their populations onto other Colonies where they were mixed into existing settlements for re-education, except a few thousand in each of their major cities, and placed Draconian Troops to keep the two sides separated for a dozen generations. Meanwhile the temples to thier war gods were razed and temples to their gods of peace erected in thier places: The long war was over, and any who could not accept that would be; Dealt With. The Wayangs were invited to take up residence in the emptied villages and towns, which Federation architectural design firms would help them modify to suit their needs. Those with an abnormal boldness and taste for adventure however were offered the chance to join the Star-Navy and travel the galaxy...

These were the races added in the First Old-Wave expansion, lasting around the first eighty years after the Federation began to explore outside the Sol System, for the next twenty years the Federation absorbed it's new acquisitions and did less exploring into new star-systems, but that would change after the first war with the Unhuman Empire...

To Which Of These Seven Races Dost Thou Belong?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)