More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by 99S 99S

What's next?

The Engaged Couple

Sadie and her fiancé’s steps echoed down deserted streets as they turned another corner towards their Saturday dinner reservation. Squat brick warehouses lined both sides, looking very unlike Chef Izu’s latest pop-up restaurant.

“It should be here,” Ian took his phone out of his jacket and studied it again. Sadie sighed quietly, forcing herself to keep smiling at Ian’s efforts. Certainly, wasn’t his fault that her boss had everyone to work all night to finish another round of pitchbook changes. When she finally got off work, there was just enough time to quickly change and reapply her makeup before Ian arrived downstairs.

They had driven for hours from her waterfront Jersey City apartment and she would’ve happily rested her eyes but Ian had talked excitedly about his upcoming radiology fellowship. They hadn’t seen each other in two weeks and he had wanted to catch her up on everything in his world.

When they arrived in his low-slung sports car, they had found every store in town closed and locked. Ticker tape and garbage was strewn everywhere on the ground. As Ian tried to find his way, Sadie looked down and noticed garish script on the ticker tapes. She bent her knees to get closer and read, Travelling Fuck Fair! Only 3 nights! Travelling Fuck Fair…

Ew. She frowned instinctively in disgust but slowly became aware of her own growing curiosity. Last year, her best friend had told Sadie in hushed tones about certain... shows she’d watched in Amsterdam. Her heart started to flutter as her mind wandered, imagining what might be on stage right now, several short blocks away. Excitement and relief from spreadsheets and – her eyes darted quickly towards Ian – family pressures for sure.

“Come on hon. I think I know where we got lost.”

She blinked at Ian, lost in thought, and began straightening up when thunder boomed. Overhead, late-autumn skies darkened abruptly and she just started to worry about ruining her over-the-knee suede boots when slick sheets rain poured down. She screamed as her hair got drenched and water seeped through her wool jumper dress, feeling frigid cold against her skin. Squinting ahead, she saw that Ian had already started sprinting towards his car and she tried her best to follow.

Another squall came up and she couldn’t even see more than several feet ahead of her now. Sadie almost lost her footing to another strong gust when she caught up with Ian. A wide metal door had opened up from one of the warehouses, blocking his way. Holding it open was a large and pale looking violet-suited man. He gestured for both of them to step inside with his other hand, his basso voice sounded strangely clear in her ear. “You two, come in."

Ian nodded and wrapped his arm around her shoulders as they stepped past him. Dead, cloudy eyes met Sadie's briefly when she glanced up and she started to hesitate but Ian pushed her forward.

Inside, she saw narrow concrete steps leading down into darkness while welcoming heat greeted their soaked faces. Light abandoned them when the heavy door clanged shut, their loud breaths reverberating. As their eyes adjusted, they noticed old-style ceiling heaters at regular intervals giving off dim lighting ahead. Behind them, they felt more than saw their host's massive silhouette, blocking their way out.

“Go on. No one will harm you two here. Everyone in town’s at our show tonight and this utility tunnel leads directly to our theatre. You’ll warm up as you walk and I think we might even have spare clothes for... guests. Yes.”

Ian looked at her, "do you think we should go Sadie?"

Does Sadie go down the steps?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)