More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by AttenTen AttenTen

What Does The Day Bring?

Texas loses her memory!

The citizens of Gold Springs began to stir as the sun began to rise over their sleepy town. They were a busy and industrious community, with nearly half of it's populace ready to start their day at the crack of dawn. Men and women with sturdy bodies and calloused hands, a pickaxe in one hand and a lunchbox in the other, they kiss their significant others goodbye before trekking off to the mines. They share the same destination so eventually their paths converge as they follow the same trail. It's on that trail that they would come across the town Sheriff during her early morning patrol and they would all call out and bid her a good morning, which would be answered with a respectful tip of her hat. It was a simple gesture, but it was indicative of their protector's vigilant nature; a quick gesture of acknowledgment before snapping back to attention. Truly, a professional of the highest order.

That day seemed no different than any other. A bit of small talk between coworkers, stories traded about their respective home lives when they would spot the sheriff walking down the trail across from them.

"G'mornin, Texas!" One called out happily. His call was followed by dozens more, each one just as warm and friendly as the other as they greeted their respected peacekeeper. The sheriff blinked, seemingly caught off guard by their greeting. She looked around for a bit, as though checking to see if there were any other people near her that they could've been talking to. When it became clear that they were addressing her, she looked back at them and answered them back with a shy wave before quickening her pace. The mineworkers couldn't help but be confused at the change in her behavior, but they didn't linger on it as they continued their journey. It was certainly strange, but it wasn't anything that couldn't be explained away with basic logic.

"Probably hasn't had her coffee yet" One robust woman suggested jokingly. The others chuckled in agreement, their talk shifting from the sheriff to the workday ahead. The sheriff didn't quite share their mirth, as she continued to walk down the trail with a look of confusion affixed on her face.


One Hour Earlier...

The slumbering sheriff grumbled as she felt the warmth of the sun on her face. She wasn't her usual energetic self, as she was still dealing with a hangover from the prior night. Ten straight shots of imported rum, a gift from a local tavern owner as thanks for breaking up a particularly nasty bar fight. The bottle was clutched tightly in her hand even as she slept with half of its contents now resting in her stomach. Still, while her mind was still in an induced stupor, her internal clock was as accurate as ever due to her strict adherence to her daily routine.

She remained asleep even as her alarm clock went off and her body jolted up. She kept snoring even as her hand reached over and snatched it up and continued doing so even after pitching it across the room. She wasn't roused from her slumber until the clock ricocheted off of the opposite wall and hit her right between the eyes. The blow sent her tumbling out of the bed in surprise.

"God dammit! What the hell?!" she snapped as she rubbed her face angrily. She looked around to find the source of her abrupt awakening but her rage gradually petered out as she examined her environment. As she took stock of the room, two questions were repeating in her flustered mind: "Where am I?", and following that, "Who am I?"


It seemed laughable to think that after all the beatings, the stomping, the crushing, and the squashing Texas had endured, the source of her memory loss would be nothing more than a conk to the head from an alarm clock. Still, that didn't change the reality of the situation as Texas wandered through the town in confusion. She had dressed herself in the outfit she had laid out the night prior, though she left the badge behind. It looked pretty expensive and she didn't want to risk angering whomever it belonged to in case the came looking for it. After dressing herself, she began talking through the town in search of answers and would eventually come across what looked like a group of miners heading off to work. She considered reaching out to them for answers but was spooked by their enthusiastic greetings and scampered off after bidding them farewell.

"Those folks seemed real happy to see me," she muttered to herself. "Does that mean ah'm so sort'a celebrity 'round these parts?"

As the confused weasel walked the streets, she didn't realize that danger that she was in. She knew nothing of Gold Spring's sorted history and the roll she played in fighting against it. As far as she knew, this was nothing more than a nice little mining town populated by friendly townspeople. It was only a matter of time before she ran into someone who would take advantage of her newfound naïveté...

What kind of trouble will the amnesiac sheriff run into?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)